Well I’ll be hunting Tennessee !

Nomad

My nephew just called he bought 160 acres in Sumner county , one of Tenn. best deer counties . It’s just ten minutes from his lake house , so that’ll be a nice base camp . The guy who owns the land  nextdoor is a CEO of a 300 and some restaurant chain, and a fellow Hunter ,they hit it off well so that’s another plus . There’s some Bass Pro Hunter guy around there , the world record non typical ( short held record ) was killed there ,  Seems like a good spot !  Found this online .

If you have recently read anything about deer, there is little doubt north-central Tennessee has had more than a mention. The recent buck killed in Sumner County called the Tucker Buck and the increase in Boone & Crockett entries are all pointing to this area as a region of the Volunteer State where there may be some good opportunities to harvest a trophy deer.

I never went down before because his spot wasn’t owned by him ,was an hour away from his house and he only hunts weekends more or less . This opens things up .

Now Mrs Nomad wants to buy a couple acres off him and move …….

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 16

My nephew just called he bought 160 acres in Sumner county , one of Tenn. best deer counties . It’s just ten minutes from his lake house , so that’ll be a nice base camp . The guy who owns the land  nextdoor is a CEO of a 300 and some restaurant chain, and a fellow Hunter ,they hit it off well so that’s another plus . There’s some Bass Pro Hunter guy around there , the world record non typical ( short held record ) was killed there ,  Seems like a good spot !  Found this online .

If you have recently read anything about deer, there is little doubt north-central Tennessee has had more than a mention. The recent buck killed in Sumner County called the Tucker Buck and the increase in Boone & Crockett entries are all pointing to this area as a region of the Volunteer State where there may be some good opportunities to harvest a trophy deer.
I never went down before because his spot wasn’t owned by him ,was an hour away from his house and he only hunts weekends more or less . This opens things up .
Now Mrs Nomad wants to buy a couple acres off him and move …….

Congrats to your nephew this seems pretty awesome! Hope to see some hero pics off this property

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

A friend of the family moved to Tenn a couple years ago in a rural area . Bought a new house for 235K that would cost over 500K up here . It was a newer subdivision and his back lot line backs up to a farm field. Deer out there all the time . He bought the lots on both sides of his house also . Paid less than 23K for each. Loves it there and says the people are great . 

12 minutes ago, Zag said:

Lets me know when we can go!!

Ha I just texted my hunting partner , he said the same thing . I said let me work,on guests .Someone to drive down and back with and hunt with as my Nephew still works would be good actually. 

Only downside is there’s some haunted train tunnel there , some Civil War solders were killed in it , so I plan on humming the Battle Hymn of the Republic while I hunt .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Ha I just texted my hunting partner , he said the same thing . I said let me work,on guests .Someone to drive down and back with and hunt with as my Nephew still works would be good actually. 

Only downside is there’s some haunted train tunnel there , some Civil War solders were killed in it , so I plan on humming the Battle Hymn of the Republic while I hunt .

Heck yeah!! Sounds like some awesome times ahead!!

I hope to make Tennessee our new home someday!! Our son wants to play ball at the University of Tennessee so fingers crossed as that would be a reason to go.

At the same time, It would be hard for me to leave my current career as I’ve sacrificed for years and it’s really paying off now thankfully. So current situation and income would be very hard to duplicate. Will see

One of my favorite places, been down there several times. It is Airedale country, got my first Airedale Terrier from Mooreland Kennels Sparta Tenn back in 1970, went down and purchased another 20 years later. Another Airedale breeder I exchanged dogs and visited with several times lived in Viola Tenn and another in Manchester, some good times and good friends.

Hunted hogs many years ago on the Tellico plains.

Saw plenty of game.

You will like it down there.

Al

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Awesome. Better weather, better state and some good hunting . It's a win all around. 

As long as you don’t mind the heat and the hurricanes.  I can’t stand the heat, and could never live year-round, south of northern PA.  

Also, I can’t imagine that the fishing in Tennessee is even close to what we have here in NY.  Watching bass tournaments on TV, even the pros seem to struggle to get limits down there on lots of days.   They seem dumbfounded, when they fish tournaments up here, and get a taste of some real bass action.    

As far as the hunting goes, maybe some decent antlers down there, but you can’t eat those.  The farther south you go, the smaller the deer bodies get on average.  It has to be tough on them, competing with all the wild hogs.

Throw in more ticks and rattlesnakes, and you couldn’t  pay me enough to live down there.  It don’t get too much better than we have right here in NY, as far as the hunting, fishing, and weather climate comfort go.   

I’d be ok with an occasional weekend getaway down there, in the spring or fall, but that’s about it.  

Edited by wolc123

I hope to make Tennessee our new home someday!! Our son wants to play ball at the University of Tennessee so fingers crossed as that would be a reason to go.
At the same time, It would be hard for me to leave my current career as I’ve sacrificed for years and it’s really paying off now thankfully. So current situation and income would be very hard to duplicate. Will see

Vanderbilt is pretty good baseball too ya know!!!! Awesome stadium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

If he skips college baseball and signs MLB deal it should cover you to retire early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That’s fair. Maybe titans will win this year finally

Well he’s business partners with Jerry Jones, so I’m not sure how much he cares about them . Although years ago  a Titian’s QB lived next to him and they were good friends .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wolc123 said:

As long as you don’t mind the heat and the hurricanes.  I can’t stand the heat, and could never live year-round, south of northern PA.  

Also, I can’t imagine that the fishing in Tennessee is even close to what we have here in NY.  Watching bass tournaments on TV, even the pros seem to struggle to get limits down there on lots of days.   They seem dumbfounded, when they fish tournaments up here, and get a taste of some real bass action.    

As far as the hunting goes, maybe some decent antlers down there, but you can’t eat those.  The farther south you go, the smaller the deer bodies get on average.  It has to be tough on them, competing with all the wild hogs.

Throw in more ticks and rattlesnakes, and you couldn’t  pay me enough to live down there.  It don’t get too much better than we have right here in NY, as far as the hunting, fishing, and weather climate comfort go.   

I’d be ok with an occasional weekend getaway down there, in the spring or fall, but that’s about it.  

Not much hurricane activity… best I can tell. I have lived “in the south” for 40 some years. AAMOF, the worst hurricane I even experienced was in 1972 in NY (Agnes). Ticks… yes but in NY too. Very few rattlesnakes… in my area of north GA to be sure. Politically red here… very few stupid Libby Dems. No stupid gun laws or crazy taxes either. You could not pay me to live back in NYS.

• Like 1

Well he’s business partners with Jerry Jones, so I’m not sure how much he cares about them . Although years ago  a Titian’s QB lived next to him and they were good friends .

Cowboys haven’t been relevant for 30+ years

8 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Throw in more ticks and rattlesnakes, and you couldn’t  pay me enough to live down there.  I

I had a friend move to Tennessee when he retired because his wife's family was from there. He decided to start a little lawn mowing venture to keep busy and earn some extra cash.

After a month or so we chatted and told me he gets on the mower on the trailer and doesn't get back off the mower until it is back on the trailer. He was scared to death of snakes and there were plenty of them.

He said if he ran out of gas or broke down, he would call somebody to come get him because he was not getting off that mower in the grass. Needless to say, he didn't mow lawns for very long. :no:

• Haha 3