Well I’ll be hunting Tennessee !

Nomad

12 hours ago, Steve D said:

I had a friend move to Tennessee when he retired because his wife's family was from there. He decided to start a little lawn mowing venture to keep busy and earn some extra cash.

After a month or so we chatted and told me he gets on the mower on the trailer and doesn't get back off the mower until it is back on the trailer. He was scared to death of snakes and there were plenty of them.

He said if he ran out of gas or broke down, he would call somebody to come get him because he was not getting off that mower in the grass. Needless to say, he didn't mow lawns for very long. :no:

TFF

I've only ever known a handful of people who have moved to TN. None have regretted that choice. Have never been there but I do I want to check it out some time.

Sounds like a great opportunity for you and nice of your family to offer it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cdbing said:

TN is on the list of states I'm considering retiring to. Looking forward to seeing your hero pics this year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My wife has been bugging me to move there, our adult kids are here , I like to be close to them . That’s just me .

I would move them all there if they were willing, the oldest is starting to dislike NYS, funny what owning a house here , and working in health care here will so to a person .

I just had a buddy return through there after hunting Alabama, and he said it was awesome looking country. NYS taxes and government in general is a PITA to deal with, but I love the turn of the seasons, and this state's outdoor opportunities take a back seat to nowhere, with a special place for the ADK in my heart. I just can't see leaving behind the life that I've built here, but I'm a homebody anyway. It sounds like you have a ready made toe in the water way to experience TN before making the jump.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

Lets see... NY high taxes... NY stupid gun laws... NY stupid Liberal Democraps and their stupid mandates. Think I'll stay in the south.

It all evens out. Those are very small prices to pay.   Not having to deal with oppressive heat, wild hogs, rattlesnakes, too many bugs, hurricanes, forrest fires and heavy traffic are big plusses for us upstate NYers.  Also, you would be hard-pressed to find a state where low-cost & legal freezer-filling, from the woodlands and waters, is any easier than it is right here in upstate NY. 

1 hour ago, bugsNbows said:

Lets see... NY high taxes... NY stupid gun laws... NY stupid Liberal Democraps and their stupid mandates. Think I'll stay in the south.

Agree 100%.  Little over 3 yrs to go before my wife can retire. Eastern Tennessee is where were looking.  No more freezing cold and if ya get snow, it doesn't last long.  

NY taxes are off the chart. Can't wait to leave this crap hole...

• Like 1

I am happy with my move to Ohio. 

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It all evens out. Those are very small prices to pay.   Not having to deal with oppressive heat, wild hogs, rattlesnakes, too many bugs, hurricanes, forrest fires and heavy traffic are big plusses for us upstate NYers.  Also, you would be hard-pressed to find a state where low-cost & legal freezer-filling, from the woodlands and waters, is any easier than it is right here in upstate NY. 

I am happy with my move to Ohio. Still get all the seasons but not huge amounts of snow accumulation and hunting is good. And if you hunt your own land no need for license or tags if you are looking for low cost.

Those prices are too rich for me to continue paying!

Now that it’s looking like I won’t have a job holding me here I’ll be moving as soon as my daughter graduates in 2025. She can keep my house, I’m selling my land and am hauling my assets out of this crap hole of a state. I’ll probably sell my camp and just join a camp so I can continue to hunt the adks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Not much hurricane activity… best I can tell. I have lived “in the south” for 40 some years. AAMOF, the worst hurricane I even experienced was in 1972 in NY (Agnes). Ticks… yes but in NY too. Very few rattlesnakes… in my area of north GA to be sure. Politically red here… very few stupid Libby Dems. No stupid gun laws or crazy taxes either. You could not pay me to live back in NYS.

Then why join a New York hunting forum.. just to come here and make stupid political comments ?

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Then why join a New York hunting forum.. just to come here and make stupid political comments ?

I joined this forum because I was born and raised in NY. I have friends in NYS. I started my deer hunting in 1966 in Steuben County. My family has land there. Where were you then? Gee, I’m so sorry you think my comments are stupid. I certainly did not realize that you are the opinion master. You know what they say about opinions…right?

• Like 11

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

You can shoot two bucks a year and 1-4 doe A DAY depending on unit.  Sportsman is $160 , landowners and their families don’t need to buy a lic . World class Bass lakes , 25# Crappies off your dock, great water fowl hunting  . Just a great pro gun pro Hunter state .

Small prices ? Our friends saved enough off NY property and state tax to pay for their health care and still be ahead in Tenn . My sister’s NY home ( fla is their legal residence) pays 20k a year property tax, her son who’s Tenn home is of the same value pays 2K , and zero state tax , which for him would be high five if not six figures in NY . The cost of living savings spans all levels.

There’s not really  hurricanes in Tenn, can’t recall any major forest fires , tornadoes yes  , and the state can be hot for a few months , which is where those lakes and mountains come in handy I guess .

• Like 3

Regarding the summer heat… that is one reason I left Florida and moved to the mountains. We rarely get above 85-86* in the summer. Fall and spring are great. It can get chilly in winter, but we typically only get snow a couple of times. AAMOF, we will be in the 50’s today after last weeks storm. I can live with that. 

• Like 1

I joined this forum because I was born and raised in NY. I have friends in NYS. I started my deer hunting in 1966 in Steuben County. My family has land there. Where were you then? Gee, I’m so sorry you think my comments are stupid. I certainly did not realize that you are the opinion master. You know what they say about opinions…right?

No need to explain yourself and to the resident asshole!

33 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

Thank you for the explanation. I was really going to unload on him, but decided I had better not. Guess what they say about Bernie Bros Progressive Liberals is correct. Hope he enjoys Westchester... and stays there. LOL 

@Chef doesn't live in westchester. he lives west of the hudson! WNYer

21 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It’s pretty obvious that you need to get out of this state more often. Good gravy. 

• Like 1

No need to explain yourself and to the resident asshole!

Hahah funny I got a foul language warning today…. My first I’m sure you will getting your timeout soon

You can shoot two bucks a year and 1-4 doe A DAY depending on unit.  Sportsman is $160 , landowners and their families don’t need to buy a lic . World class Bass lakes , 25# Crappies off your dock, great water fowl hunting  . Just a great pro gun pro Hunter state .
Small prices ? Our friends saved enough off NY property and state tax to pay for their health care and still be ahead in Tenn . My sister’s NY home ( fla is their legal residence) pays 20k a year property tax, her son who’s Tenn home is of the same value pays 2K , and zero state tax , which for him would be high five if not six figures in NY . The cost of living savings spans all levels.

There’s not really  hurricanes in Tenn, can’t recall any major forest fires , tornadoes yes  , and the state can be hot for a few months , which is where those lakes and mountains come in handy I guess .

I hope you mean 5# crappies.........25# would be a totally different fish.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk