Anyone doin squirrel hunting?

I've thought about it. The hard crusty snow right now is definitely a deterrent. I'm really thinking about grabbing my Browning light 20 and trying my luck if we get a manageable amount of snow in this upcoming storm. Good luck if you're able to get out!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

I wouldn’t mind gettin out and poppin a few nice grays for a stew ; anyone thinkin the same thing ? 

If it warms up enough, on one of the next few weekends, I may try a little.  I do love squirrel in the crockpot.  It is way better than rabbit.   

I will have to take my pellet gun to the stand where I took this picture of one while I was crossbow hunting there  last fall.  It is too close to some buildings to use a firearm.

25362AC8-A6DC-471D-83B0-2F3C0A41C931.thumb.jpeg.6a1daed29a4d0ab810b0503564a9549e.jpeg

28 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

If it warms up enough, on one of the next few weekends, I may try a little.  I do love squirrel in the crockpot.  It is way better than rabbit.   

I will have to take my pellet gun to the stand where I took this picture of one while I was crossbow hunting there  last fall.  It is too close to some buildings to use a firearm.

25362AC8-A6DC-471D-83B0-2F3C0A41C931.thumb.jpeg.6a1daed29a4d0ab810b0503564a9549e.jpeg

Really rabbit over squirrel ?I take the rabbit over the tree rat everytime , if i can get one , with out a dog it is   real  hard hunting  rabbits .

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

I've been out a few times. Haven't seen any with shooting. Go figure. During deer season I'm covered up in squirrels that I won't shoot. Now that I'm looking for them, I can't find 'em.

That is the story of my hunting life see deer when looking for small game see small game when im looking for deer its like they know lol 

• Like 2

Just now, phantom said:

Really rabbit over squirrel ?I take the rabbit over the tree rat everytime , if i can get one , with out a dog it is   real  hard hunting  rabbits .

I was just ready to say something similar. I've never done either in a crockpot, but I'd need hard proof before I said squirrel was superior to rabbit :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I have done mixed bags in the crockpot multiple times, and the squirrel always tastes better to me.  Only problem is, that they are smaller, so it takes more of them for a meal.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I have done mixed bags in the crockpot multiple times, and the squirrel always tastes better to me.  Only problem is, that they are smaller, so it takes more of them for a meal.  

I mean it's all subjective, so I believe you. 

I wish there where squirrels up here.I saw and shot 2 eight years ago when i bought my house haven't seen one since.I'm going to try and make a trip to the southern zone and see if I can get a few.If I could I'd hunt them every day for the rest of the season.That and rabbit hunting are/were my favorite.

11 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I wish there where squirrels up here.I saw and shot 2 eight years ago when i bought my house haven't seen one since.I'm going to try and make a trip to the southern zone and see if I can get a few.If I could I'd hunt them every day for the rest of the season.That and rabbit hunting are/were my favorite.

I gather your in Adirondacks?

47 minutes ago, phantom said:

I honestly don’t remember what rabbit even tastes like now , it’s been so long !! How do you cook your squirrels anyway? I need some new recipes - where’s Chef when you need him lol. 

• Like 1