Anyone doin squirrel hunting?

Here is one call that I have, I actually just threw away a smaller similar one and a silver desk about a nickel size I think you blew into it I just threw those two away a couple weeks ago. I think I have tried this one years ago but it didn't work I just thought it was neat so I kept it

IMG_20220120_072255472_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

I have several Squirrel calls and have had very spotty results using them. For the most part they seem not to do much good in producing shots, that being said I have had several times using them where they actually worked. Once on a stand using one of those rubber bulb type calls I had a Squirrel come in from behind me and jumped on my back and go right up on my head and leap up on to the tree I was sitting against. I let out a scream that would have made Fay Wray proud.

The best I can figure is they sometimes trigger a territorial response.

Al

• Like 4

21 hours ago, airedale said:

I have several Squirrel calls and have had very spotty results using them. For the most part they seem not to do much good in producing shots, that being said I have had several times using them where they actually worked. Once on a stand using one of those rubber bulb type calls I had a Squirrel come in from behind me and jumped on my back and go right up on my head and leap up on to the tree I was sitting against. I let out a scream that would have made Fay Wray proud.

The best I can figure is they sometimes trigger a territorial response.

Al

Can you describe the sound ? I've tried the rubbing 2 quarters thing which is spposed to imitate them feeding on nuts, right?  Didnt work though.

2 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Can you describe the sound ?

The sounds most of the Squirrel calls I have duplicate pretty much what the Squirrel in the video is saying. I also have a whistle call that is supposed to help make a hiding treed Squirrel expose itself. You can go on youtube and see and hear many hunters demonstrating calls and hear how they actually sound.

The calls I use most of the time when after Squirrels are pictured on the lanyard below, they have produced for me both predators and Squirrels, I stick with what works.

Al

2022-01-21_072716.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

The sounds most of the Squirrel calls I have duplicate pretty much what the Squirrel in the video is saying. I also have a whistle call that is supposed to help make a hiding treed Squirrel expose itself. You can go on youtube and see and hear many hunters demonstrating calls and hear how they actually sound.
The calls I use most of the time when after Squirrels are pictured on the lanyard below, they have produced for me both predators and Squirrels, I stick with what works.
Al

Crazy video! I always thought that the sound that squirrel is making is a warning call to his buddies that something is not right-Similar to a deer “blowing.” Wouldn’t that sound send other squirrel scurrying foe holes? I have NO experience, just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Wouldn’t that sound send other squirrel scurrying foe holes? I have NO experience, just a thought

I believe it is an alert call and classify it more of a locating call, what it will do it make other Squirrels in the vicinity start to chime in, from there the actual fun comes in, it is up to me to make a spot and stalk into shooting range and make the kill.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 7:24 AM, Paula said:

Here is one call that I have, I actually just threw away a smaller similar one and a silver desk about a nickel size I think you blew into it I just threw those two away a couple weeks ago. I think I have tried this one years ago but it didn't work I just thought it was neat so I kept it

IMG_20220120_072255472_HDR.jpg

Cool- where'd you get it?

3 hours ago, airedale said:

Al

2022-01-21_072716.png

That silver thing is what I just threw away. 

51 minutes ago, Belo said:

this f'n guy... I'm about to start a file of all the crazy sh!t he believes. 

Well he is not wrong on baby deer being better than older deer, its just not worth it in my mind to take the lower amount of meat. And he should target baby does not bucks for the challenge!!

Squirrel is better than rabbit no question. 

LM Bass is good but not better than walleye or perch.

And Genesee is not better than Bleu. I'll take Canadian spring water over Genesee river swill please.

It just cracks me up how much he winds some of you up. Your like his entertainment......

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

Well he is not wrong on baby deer being better than older deer, its just not worth it in my mind to take the lower amount of meat. And he should target baby does not bucks for the challenge!!

And Genesee is not better than Bleu. I'll take Canadian spring water over Genesee river swill please.

It just cracks me up how much he winds some of you up. Your like his entertainment......

I guess I will have to agree with wolc on one thing . ;)

I will take a 14" large mouth caught out of one of "my" small lakes over a 22" walleye out of the St Lawrence any day.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I guess I will have to agree with wolc on one thing . ;)

I will take a 14" large mouth caught out of one of "my" small lakes over a 22" walleye out of the St Lawrence any day.

Bass out of a nice clean lake are delicious, but I do hate killing them. Big lake Erie walleye taste like lake Erie

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Bass out of a nice clean lake are delicious, but I do hate killing them. Big lake Erie walleye taste like lake Erie

I'm lucky to have a camp on a small clean lake with poor public access , so it is loaded with fish. I will keep 15lbs or so of bass/year that fall in my personal  slot limit of 12-15" .

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ncountry said:

I'm lucky to have a camp on a small clean lake with poor public access , so it is loaded with fish. I will keep 15lbs or so of bass/year that fall in my personal  slot limit of 12-15" .

I would too, they are delicious. As are squirrels. Im watching two in my backyard as I type this, the sun seems to bring them out on these freezing cold days

• Like 1

I would too, they are delicious. As are squirrels. Im watching two in my backyard as I type this, the sun seems to bring them out on these freezing cold days

So are neighborhood squirrel a different flavor than “real” squirrel?
Like suburban deer (RIP Buckle) vs field/big woods deer?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, crappyice said:

So are neighborhood squirrel a different flavor than “real” squirrel?
Like suburban deer (RIP Buckle) vs field/big woods deer?

I don’t know if they taste any different, but I’m going to say their diet vastly differs. Squirrels around here chew holes in trash cans and eat garbage. I have a picture somewhere I’d a squirrel on my garage roof eating a blueberry bagel. 

i would be curious about rabbits, they eat our strawberry’s and veggies.

Edited by Liquidonyx
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

I'm not sure he winds me up, I just don't get it. I think anything taste related is subjective, so squirrel better than rabbit and types of beer is fine... but bass better than walleye or perch? That's crazy talk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liquidonyx said:

I don’t know if they taste any different, but I’m going to say their diet vastly differs. Squirrels around here chew holes in trash cans and eat garbage. I have a picture somewhere I’d a squirrel on my garage roof eating a blueberry bagel. 

i would be curious about rabbits, they eat our strawberry’s and veggies.

One of the places I take my dogs is an old apple orchard, I don't find any taste difference there and other spot

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm not sure he winds me up, I just don't get it. I think anything taste related is subjective, so squirrel better than rabbit and types of beer is fine... but bass better than walleye or perch? That's crazy talk.

Much of it had to do with cooking techniques and the way the fish is handled prior to cooking.  If you deep fry the fish in oil, then I agree that perch or walleye are better, because the meat contains very little “fish oil”, compared to bass. 

With the  healthier cooking methods, like grilling, baking, or broiling, then I like bass better because it has more fish oil in it, which keeps it moist thru those process, whereas perch and walleye tend to get too dry.

Eating bass is a win win deal because fish oil is actually good for you and deep frying in animal fat is bad for you.

Most folks have no clue how to handle bass meat though.  The fish should be kept as healthy as possible and the meat should still be twitching when it is removed.  Letting them die, full of guts, in a cooler is asking for trouble. It should also be vacuum sealed if frozen. 

Get it now ?

Edited by wolc123