Anyone doin squirrel hunting?

33 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

consider the source saying squirrel is better than rabbit

That’s right and I also like venison better than beef and bass better than walleye and Genny better than Labbats. 

The temperature just broke 32 degrees, so I am out after some dinner right now.

AA054CCE-06E8-4541-B7F9-9281E668A8B6.thumb.jpeg.fa50fbd58d74b2544a7e55e4b62eeb7b.jpeg

56 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

consider the source saying squirrel is better than rabbit

Why  because he likes Rocky Mountain oysters? I don't hold that against the guy , Maybe the rabbits by him eat something that makes them taste bad who knows. Everyone got there own tastes i guess .

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

That’s right and I also like venison better than beef and bass better than walleye and Genny better than Labbats. 

The temperature just broke 32 degrees, so I am out after some dinner right now.

AA054CCE-06E8-4541-B7F9-9281E668A8B6.thumb.jpeg.fa50fbd58d74b2544a7e55e4b62eeb7b.jpeg

You lost me at bass better than walleye lol

I love squirrel hunting, really havent in years. I just havent found a recipe for them I like, but the squirrel cacciatore does sound good. I have lost all my old stand by areas, but I guess I should be able to head down to the finger lakes national forest and find some.

3 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

I honestly don’t remember what rabbit even tastes like now , it’s been so long !! How do you cook your squirrels anyway? I need some new recipes - where’s Chef when you need him lol. 

I  agree with Wolc that squirrel is more flavorfull than rabbit...I'll post my favorite recipe  when I get a minute..However, good luck winter squirrel hunting...After deer season when things cool down, they aren't nearly as active, and sometimes stay holed up for days at a time in bitter weather, except in town...

• Like 3

Grays just seem so much more sparse where I hunt. I always see 20 reds to 1 grey as I walk around the woods and transition in and out of pines. 

Unlike my back yard that seems to have 100 grays at all times. My squirrel call also works much better at home much to my neighbors displeasure…lol

25 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Squirrel blows rabbit away IMO. They eat acorns and other nuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You really notice it when you put both in a crockpot together .  That is the only way I have ever cooked rabbit or squirrel.  It is easy and good (especially the squirrel).

The squirrel has a bit of a nutty flavor, while the rabbit tastes more like chicken dark meat.  I usually add some potatoes, onions, cream of mushroom soup, and s was little water.  

I didn’t see any back in the woods this afternoon, but my sister said they were all over her bird feeders this morning.  

Here is my basic squirrel recipe...

I  disjoint the squirrels   four legs and the back..I trim away the neck and ribs, which don't have much meat..

Soak pieces in mild salt water overnight to help draw out any blood  from bullet or shot wounds...

Mix flour, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning in a plastic bag.....Shake  meat in bag until covered with flour mixture..

Fry in butter  over medium heat until brown..I usually add a small amount of olive oil to stretch the butter....

Place browned pieces in a 9 x 13 baking dish...Slice up an onion over squirrel...Pour in enough chicken broth to about  1/3 the level of the meat..

Cover pan with alum foil and bake in 300 degree oven until it is very tender ( about 2 hours )

Uncover pan and raise the temp to around 400 degrees..Bake until browned on top ( 20 -30 min)...

Squirrel should be browned and falling off the bones tender...Make gravy from pan drippings if desired and serve over taters or rice..

This recipe works equally well for rabbit, but I find rabbit less flavorful and more bland than squirrel....

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Nytracker said:

I like to cut them in quarters dredge them in egg  and flower , seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper,red pepper,sage . Fry in oil . Grams use to use lard. Serve with biscuits and white gravy . I have also par boiled them brown in fry pan  then toss them on wing sauce.  

Sounds good - I’m gonna have to go out and get some cuz I’m gettin hungry !! 

3 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Here is my basic squirrel recipe...

I  disjoint the squirrels   four legs and the back..I trim away the neck and ribs, which don't have much meat..

Soak pieces in mild salt water overnight to help draw out any blood  from bullet or shot wounds...

Mix flour, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning in a plastic bag.....Shake  meat in bag until covered with flour mixture..

Fry in butter  over medium heat until brown..I usually add a small amount of olive oil to stretch the butter....

Place browned pieces in a 9 x 13 baking dish...Slice up an onion over squirrel...Pour in enough chicken broth to about  1/3 the level of the meat..

Cover pan with alum foil and bake in 300 degree oven until it is very tender ( about 2 hours )

Uncover pan and raise the temp to around 400 degrees..Bake until browned on top ( 20 -30 min)...

Squirrel should be browned and falling off the bones tender...Make gravy from pan drippings if desired and serve over taters or rice..

This recipe works equally well for rabbit, but I find rabbit less flavorful and more bland than squirrel....

Excellent - thank you Sir 

7 minutes ago, Liquidonyx said:

Grays just seem so much more sparse where I hunt. I always see 20 reds to 1 grey as I walk around the woods and transition in and out of pines. 

Unlike my back yard that seems to have 100 grays at all times. My squirrel call also works much better at home much to my neighbors displeasure…lol

What do you use for a squirrel call ?

2 hours ago, Nytracker said:

I like to cut them in quarters dredge them in egg  and flower , seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper,red pepper,sage . Fry in oil . Grams use to use lard. Serve with biscuits and white gravy . I have also par boiled them brown in fry pan  then toss them on wing sauce.  

@Nytracker for the win! X2! Parboiled till tender then dredge, coat and panfry. Smother with brown gravy (sorry) and serve with spuds. Classic.

I fed my boys so many squirrel "wings" soaked in Texas Pete's hot sauce back in the day it was silly. Good eats right there!

• Like 1

Squirrel seem to have a sweet taste to them compared to rabbit, I like both.

I have made with both of them, tacos, breaded and fried. I think my favorite is the bake with the gravy vegetables and Bisquick on top. Yum 

I have cooked them up and giving them to the dogs

Edited by Paula

Like Rabbits Squirrels can be hunted with dogs, I can say a top Squirrel dog is not easy to come by and they are special.

A video below shows a bit of insight, these folks are knocking off Fox Squirrels which are quite large compared to Grays.

Also a  photo of some of my Airedales that were half way decent on a hunt, a buddy of mine from PA came up to my place to pick up an Airedale pup. He brought along his Kemmer Cur "the blond dog" which is one of the best breeds for Squirrels.

Al

2022-01-16_180915.png

• Like 4