Do you guys use skirts on your ladder stand shooting rail

luberhill

I've never used a skirt on any of our ladderstands. I don't see where it would hurt though. Especially if it's set in an open area, or on a bare tree. We try to set ours in hemlock, or evergreen trees when possible. To give a good backdrop, and to hide a bit better. 

• Like 1

The closest thing I've used as a skirt (besides a sundress once, but thats another story) is a fleece blanket that I carry when it's real cold out. Sitting in my summit climber I will hang it around the outside rail and tuck it around my body.. Nice and toasty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ncountry said:

The closest thing I've used as a skirt (besides a sundress once, but thats another story) is a fleece blanket that I carry when it's real cold out. Sitting in my summit climber I will hang it around the outside rail and tuck it around my body.. Nice and toasty.

I carry 2 Fleece blankets one goes under me one goes over . 

• Like 1

We have a ton of stands and they are all ladder stands with the exception of a couple tripods. We wrap them all with that burlap camo everyone knows about. We replace it roughly every other year.... Helps with hand movements and messing with your phone etc...IMO

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ApexerER said:

We have a ton of stands and they are all ladder stands with the exception of a couple tripods. We wrap them all with that burlap camo everyone knows about. We replace it roughly every other year.... Helps with hand movements and messing with your phone etc...IMO

Do u leave the bottom open and just crawl under it

I used to use them, I bought the ones with a Velcro strip down the front. Very easy to open and slide into the stand. I got them for the sole purpose of blocking wind, and they worked great. The thing I did not like about them is that they stand out, the stands looked like a dishwasher strapped to a tree. I used them for probably 4 years before they were totally shredded, I did not replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I like a 3 ft high barnwood wrap the best, and have killed a number of mature bucks from behind it,  from several different stands.   Before that, I tried a few other things including camo burlap, and old snow fence with leafy branches weaved through it.  Both sucked big time, compared to the barnwood. 

The burlap flaps in the breeze and takes a lot of maintenance, as does branch-weaved snow fence.  Neither of those makes as good of a wind break.  The barnwood blends in with the woods very well, blocks the wind almost completely, hides most of your movements from the deer, and makes a good safety rail and gun/crossbow rest.   Best of all, it is virtually maintenance free.  

F8C2CD6B-8D0F-4878-B4CC-03B79E681213.thumb.jpeg.8a52a28bc93139518b2a843c121eccad.jpeg76F131B0-3B9A-410F-85AA-27B759CFDC35.thumb.jpeg.add7c4d0c55937c6da48d1cc7442d005.jpeg

I use skirts on all my ladder stands. I got the ones with magnets in the front for quiet entry and exit. I tie the top and bottom to keep them from flapping in the breeze too much. In the front I tie the top to the shooting rail all the way across and the bottom just in the corners to leave enough slack for climbing in and out then the magnets close it behind me. Definitely helps you get away with some movement at least. Only downside I can think of is you can't adjust the shooting rail after their tied but the adjustment bolts usually rust up after a year or two anyway making them non adjustable anyway unless you spray them with something regularly. I even set up my climber with skirts. I keep them rolled up and tied to the shooting rail piece then when I get to my desired height I un tie them, let them roll down and tie them to the platform

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I don't use them on my ladders, although I've thought about it. In the past 10 years or so, I don't know that they would've have changed the outcome on my seasons. I can't recall a time when I've been in the tree and busted before getting a shot off. I do have one on the climber that i just picked up. I only used it twice this season, and didn't deploy the skirt either time.

20 hours ago, luberhill said:

Do u leave the bottom open and just crawl under it

Yes, the shooting rail holds the wrap out plenty far enough to crawl under it....Some of the guys cut the wrap and overlap it to kinda give you a doorway. I haven't felt that is necessary. 

The boxy. dishwasher look always makes me decided to not bother with the skirts. I wish there was a way to break up my silhouette BEHIND my tree. I find myself (especially late season) in bare trees in a climber and Feeling very visible

On 1/18/2022 at 9:21 PM, crappyice said:

The boxy. dishwasher look always makes me decided to not bother with the skirts. I wish there was a way to break up my silhouette BEHIND my tree. I find myself (especially late season) in bare trees in a climber and Feeling very visible

image.jpeg.a15d5434f161d5da122bf147f3cb060c.jpeg  can get these on amazon to attach to a treestand. 

I am putting up a new 9ft stand this year (has to be 9ft cause there is no trees there big enough to go higher) and am looking at ways to camo it in.  Hunting buddy has a stand skirt but i am also worried about it sticking out.  Was thinking of cutting some branches and zip tying them around it.  But also considered something like this - may have to go to the Hobby Lobby and see what i can find.  lol.  

• Like 3