Venison Neck Roast

crappyice

Looking to cook a 3# boneless venison neck roast today. Seems like crock pot is the most commonly used vessel and makes sense. Not a huge fan of the crock pot as most things come out tasting “grey” to me.

What are people adding to the crock beside the roast? Any other cooking methods used? Cast Iron pot like Osso Bucca?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Looking to cook a 3# boneless venison neck roast today. Seems like crock pot is the most commonly used vessel and makes sense. Not a huge fan of the crock pot as most things come out tasting “grey” to me.

What are people adding to the crock beside the roast? Any other cooking methods used? Cast Iron pot like Osso Bucca?

I like putting larger roasts in the smoker for 3 hours first and getting a little bark on the outside before transferring it to the crock pot. Onions and peppers at the end til cooked but not mushy. Can be served over rice or on rolls. To avoid the bland consistent flavors try adding the spices after is done cooking.

• Like 3

My mom's aunt used to make a fantastic venison neck sauerbraten in an enameled dutch oven, after she marinated it for a full week in the fridge.

Now THATS what I’m talking about!! I have another neck roast in the freezer and need to remember this idea…red cabbage and spaetzle!!!

• Like 1

I cook a neck roast just like a beef pot roast .  

Rub or spray the roast with olive oil rub your preferred spices in ,  and sear it on all sides . Lightly mix some beef bouillon in hot water enough to cover half the roast in the pot . Heat oven to 375 and add onions and some minced garlic . Cook for an hour and 15 min .  Take it out and turn roast over and add the veggies and potatoes . Drop the heat down to 275 and cook for another 2 hours . Take it out and let it sit for 15 -30 min before cutting it .  Falls apart with your fork .

I never liked the crock pot for venison roasts . Seams to always suck the flavor out of the meat . Tastes like cardboard spiced with straw . LOL

• Like 1

It's is a good idea to sear the entire outside of the meat before putting into the crockpot, or even the dutch oven.  Use a very hot pan with a high heat type of oil.  Scrape all the fond into your pot.  

If you do shred it and use it in tacos, I like to take half of it and crisp it up in bacon grease so you get a mix of soft meat with crispy.  

But your end product looks great and I am sure will taste great!

• Like 2

It's is a good idea to sear the entire outside of the meat before putting into the crockpot, or even the dutch oven.  Use a very hot pan with a high heat type of oil.  Scrape all the fond into your pot.  
If you do shred it and use it in tacos, I like to take half of it and crisp it up in bacon grease so you get a mix of soft meat with crispy.  
But your end product looks great and I am sure will taste great!

Love the idea of crisping it up…not a final product yet…that’s after in transferred it to the cast iron from crock pot…after I seared it in pan!!!

28 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I have a tough time with neck roasts trimming the fat well enough to enjoy it, so my necks usually end up ground into something. I can see pulled venison/bbq as a good way to go.

you roast It low and slow and you don't have to trim. All that fat and white stuff melts into the sauce and is awesome.

I discovered this cooking technique just a few years back and it makes butchering so much easier. Used to hate on the neck meat,now shanks and neck are some of my favorites.

• Like 3

d47fe6a3d717374c61f83f1d9dee9790.jpg

Picture doesn’t do this justice. I waited for the roast to cool in the pot and it is tremendous. I was expecting a lot of “waste” like in Osso Bucca but there was really very little. Flavor is similar and meat texture is like good pulled pork-stringy but great!!!
I look forward to having this meat many different ways throughout the week(tacos, bbq, Rob’s way above!)
Thanks for the help

• Like 4

I have a tough time with neck roasts trimming the fat well enough to enjoy it, so my necks usually end up ground into something. I can see pulled venison/bbq as a good way to go.

This is a method is will do all the time with the neck meat…give it a shot

• Like 1

So if making stew or roast in a crockpot brown the meat first the way you normally would… that being said f the crock… use a Dutch oven and just set your oven to 275 and put it in there.. especially if you will
Be home