February vacation booked! Anyone else traveling?

REDNECK4LIFE32

The wife is headed on a business trip to Florida and wants me to join her for a long weekend. Not sure yet if I can get away, but I got a guy we did the bayou with down south of New Orleans back in December that works out of Florida most of the year. I wouldn't mind some snook and trout fishing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, knehrke said:

The wife is headed on a business trip to Florida and wants me to join her for a long weekend. Not sure yet if I can get away, but I got a guy we did the bayou with down south of New Orleans back in December that works out of Florida most of the year. I wouldn't mind some snook and trout fishing.

Sounds like a good get away. Good luck with the fishing. I'm gonna try fishing from the pier. May book a guided fishing trip.

6 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Andros where's that? Gonna do some bizarre eating in Iceland. I d like to check out the place because of Andrew zimmern and Anthony Bourdain.

I definitely will eat the weird stuff. Andros is one of the out islands of the Bahamas. I believe the largest island. Not very developed but it lends to a more authentic Bahamian experience (think opposite of Nassau resort vacation). Mangroves were spared by the hurricane so great for kayaking and flats fishing.  

• Like 1

When we go to Hilton Head , I am tempted to drive up to Yemassee and by Parris Island for old times sake . I will never forget getting off the train and boarding busses to to to P.I . I was never so scared in my life when a DI started screaming at us . 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I definitely will eat the weird stuff. Andros is one of the out islands of the Bahamas. I believe the largest island. Not very developed but it lends to a more authentic Bahamian experience (think opposite of Nassau resort vacation). Mangroves were spared by the hurricane so great for kayaking and flats fishing.  

My mom is going to the grand Bahamas on a 10 day cruise been delayed 3 time once for hurricane then covid offered her Nassau told her no she deserves better. Not sure where she's going now. She invited us I'm not sitting through timeshare presentation. Hope the fishing is good for you.

30 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

When we go to Hilton Head , I am tempted to drive up to Yemassee and by Parris Island for old times sake . I will never forget getting off the train and boarding busses to to to P.I . I was never so scared in my life when a DI started screaming at us . 

Marine! I'll never forget getting of the bus from Atlanta airport to fort Benning. 1-2 in morning drill sergeant s going nuts at 30th AG. Had the smirk smacked off my face never smiled at DI again.

14 hours ago, Trial153 said:

My wife is setting something up, Scotland and Iceland I believe.

Scotland is other-worldly - especially if you can get to the Highlands. I grew up there.

Glasgow is a bit of a rough crowd but great people. 

And...they have phenomenal hunting. Shhhhhhh.

• Like 2

Scotland is other-worldly - especially if you can get to the Highlands. I grew up there.
Glasgow is a bit of a rough crowd but great people. 
And...they have phenomenal hunting. Shhhhhhh.

Yes everyone says the same. It’s a must visit county. We had had put this off the past year with all the travel crap so now that things are opening up we are going. We have to somehow fit in soccer camp for my son in Madrid as well, he got accepted to the Real Madrid camp last year, again got out on hold for Covid.
I want to make that happen for him for sure
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Myrtle beach during spring break and we always go to old forge at least once in the summer.

Murrell's Inlet is a nice respite from MB proper; it's worth a visit in the evening for dinner along the boardwalk.

Carolina Roadhouse in MB has these honey-glazed rolls. Get them. Delicious.

Research shark teeth hunting there and bring your hunting flashlights - I read up on it like it was rouse, but we found several shark teeth at night; I think we found close to 10. It was a great kid/family experience. I spent more time doing a father-daughter activity with that than probably anything we've ever done together. She was hooked. 

Food in general there is very busy - restaurants are backed up all of the time. MB is now the fastest growing city in America and you will see it when you try to go out to eat. Make reservations ahead of time. Like, now. 

We went down twice last year and my father's better half lives down there full-time, so if you need any local suggestions closer to the trip, I can ask.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trial153 said:

Yes everyone says the same. It’s a must visit county. We had had put this off the past year with all the travel crap so now that things are opening up we are going. We have to somehow fit in soccer camp for my son in Madrid as well, he got accepted to the Real Madrid camp last year, again got out on hold for Covid.
I want to make that happen for him for sure

Wow, that is not an easy thing to do. Congrats to him. I played in the US Olympic Development program on the U-16 group. He has to be very good.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Exuma and Long Island are on my bucket list. I've heard Andros is nice - authentic as you noted. Only tough thing I have heard is that if you want to travel far on the island it can be a bit of a logistical effort for transportation. Probably 100% worth it though!

If you haven't been to STJ, I'd put that on the list too. It's phenomenal. I've heard since Covid, it's been hit hard with tourists due to it being still in the US family. When we went, we took a jeep and traversed the island and hit empty beach after empty beach, snorkeled with turtles, and took a day trip to Jost Van Dyke, which was unbelievable. I liked the variation from the Bahamas due to the island type (more mountainous and lush) and the panoramic views being up high is a sight to see.

• Like 1