Anyone elses friends turn lame at age 40?

UpStateRedNeck

On 1/19/2022 at 8:57 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

Anybody else run into this?  Just a big divergence from buddies the last few years.  Still like seeing them once every few weeks.

Maybe I'm the odd one.  When I get together with my buddies, I don't talk about TV.  Alot of "Oh did watch <insert show here>?". Then they rattle off like 5 more shows.  I haven't been able to get anybody to go to a concert in 4 years.  Just asked everybody about the Slipknot / Cypress Hill tour.  Crickets. I'll go to the damn show myself if I have to.  This same group used to go to shows weekly.

Nobody goes outside, except to mow their 1/4 acre lawn.  Maybe I'm just realizing now my college buddies are just way different people than me.

I hardly watch TV at all, except for the occasional sports program. Love reading. And I'm down for some small game hunting. Your property or mine. Perhaps even some ice fishing? But Slipnot and Cypress Hill are out of my league. I'd have a headache before they even got warmed up!!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

I was blessed to find the right one from the start. High school seniors, different schools, total different upbringing and socio economic backgrounds, and her parents said "he'll never amount to nothing".

Were you just a hayseed plow boy that didn't have a row to sow?

love me some reeba haha

On 1/19/2022 at 10:30 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yep. Things change. 10 years ago I was going out a lot, hanging out with a different group of people most of the time, etc. Kids, job and personal responsibilities change peoples priorities. Now at 45, most of my time with friends is tied to hunting and fishing. I’ve been out to bars maybe 7-8 times in the last couple of years. It wouldn’t have been much more than that if Covid hadn’t happened either. 

Oh I agree on the bars thing.  And I still see at least some of these guys once a month or so.  We have a few beers, BS, play some tabletop or card games.  And I get all the responsibilities, it's just disappointing to not be able to get at least a couple of them out ONCE for something they would have jumped at 15 years ago.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grampy said:

I hardly watch TV at all, except for the occasional sports program. Love reading. And I'm down for some small game hunting. Your property or mine. Perhaps even some ice fishing? But Slipnot and Cypress Hill are out of my league. I'd have a headache before they even got warmed up!!!

This sounds like me and I'm 29..I'd much rather spend my time in the garage,doing honey do Iist projects/hunting or fishing.only time I turn the TV on is when I lay in bed for the night n that doesn't last more than 20 mins usually(have been watching homestead rescue!!!!!).never been the bar scene guy/big get together guy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Belo said:

Were you just a hayseed plow boy that didn't have a row to sow?

Amen! And when I completed my doctorate she surprised me with a ring with a black stone and small diamond chip in it. She remembered I used to sing her a favorite country song of mine that said, "I'm just an old chunk of coal, but I'm gonna be a diamond someday!" :  )

Did I mention as an 18 y/o kid I bought her engagement ring by laying black top and hand mowing (like chain gang stuff..lol)the side of highways for the town of Barneveld, NY during the day, and feeding horses and mucking stalls nights and weekends? I would walk downtown Utica every week (didn't have a car yet) to make payments at the jewelry store. She still wears that ring!

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
52 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Show is tonight!  Ears are ringing already!

If I lived in Albany I would be at the show with you! I am in the same boat the boys just want to sit at someone’s house playing cards. Not to mention I have zero friends who will go to any type of show with me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cory said:

How was the show????

Had a nice big dinner..... And for some reason I was hungry again halfway through Cypress Hill.  Weird?  Led to more 15$ beer. B Real smoked that entire thing, then lit another.

'Knot was okay, Corey's voice was going, some kind of throat thing.  It was fine for the first 5 songs.  Lots of firePXL_20220524_235114922.jpg

• Like 2

I was blessed to find the right one from the start. High school seniors, different schools, total different upbringing and socio economic backgrounds, and her parents said "he'll never amount to nothing". : )

Dont beat yourself up, that was just a lucky guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro