Moose in NY

Grouse

Moving in the right direction.

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) today announced the start of a new moose research project in the Adirondack region. This winter, 14 moose were fitted with GPS collars as part of a multi-year project assessing moose health and population. 

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/124596.html?fbclid=IwAR1gWHQR5dAN91WXibK5cFr67_46QbeXxp8HtOyXm9QYOPb2ZnixWpGxzX0

We can't be that many years from a moose hunting season. I know guys with camps in the northern adirondacks that have far more moose on their trail cams than deer. 

It is nice to see them thriving. I live ~25 miles north of the blue line and we have them in the neighborhood every year. One unfortunate young bull got hit by a truck when it stepped out of my driveway into the rd..

I've travelled to the 'Daks every year since I was a kid, sometimes more than once. We've seen all sorts of critters up there from deer to loons to black bears (LOTS of black bears on the dumpsters in the state part at night..) but have never seen a moose. I'd love to see one in person and would be stoked to get a chance to hunt one if NYS ever opens up a season.

32 minutes ago, Splitear said:

I read about this in the current Conservationist. They are certainly making something of a comeback. There is a population on the Rensselaer Plateau, one of my colleagues at Dyken Pond had some on a trail camera this past fall. 

Very good friends of mine have had camps on Dyken pond for 40+ yrs.  They now live full time there.  I know he's seen tracks, but not sure in he's seen one. 

I seen a calf in Old Chatham many yrs ago.  Lasy yr my nephew said there was a FB post with pics of one on cty 13 walking on the Berkshire spur overpass. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mowin said:

Very good friends of mine have had camps on Dyken pond for 40+ yrs.  They now live full time there.  I know he's seen tracks, but not sure in he's seen one. 

I seen a calf in Old Chatham many yrs ago.  Lasy yr my nephew said there was a FB post with pics of one on cty 13 walking on the Berkshire spur overpass. 

That whole Rensselaer Plateau area is beautiful, and supposedly there are species up there that you'll find nowhere else in the northeast. I don't know that they've had any staff lay eyes on the moose up there, but he said they had trail camera photos, and had seen tracks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Splitear said:

That whole Rensselaer Plateau area is beautiful, and supposedly there are species up there that you'll find nowhere else in the northeast. I don't know that they've had any staff lay eyes on the moose up there, but he said they had trail camera photos, and had seen tracks. 

It reminds me of northern Maine.  Hills and valleys with lots of pines and swampy areas. I can definitely see why moose would be in that area. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

I have snowmobiled all over the Adirondacks and have yet to see a moose. I would love to see one here. I have seen them snowmobiling in Vermont and Quebec. They walk the snowmobile Trails since it is easier walking. 

Think @Buckmaster7600  posted a video if i remember correctly, of an Adirondack moose he videoed while tracking up there a couple years ago. 

• Like 2

I had 11 moose sightings this deer season. There’s more Moses than deer on all of my cousins trail cameras every year.

In maine I feel like the moose tend to stay lower in the adks I see most all of them up high. I also think that’s why there’s more moose than they realize, they’re not nearly as visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I had 11 moose sightings this deer season. There’s more Moses than deer on all of my cousins trail cameras every year.

In maine I feel like the moose tend to stay lower in the adks I see most all of them up high. I also think that’s why there’s more moose than they realize, they’re not nearly as visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I concur. As of 2018 the DEC estimated 600-800  in the ADKs. I'm betting there is much more than that as well.

Based on the # of trees in a certain swamp near me that get stripped every year .We have at least 1 that spends a lot of time locally and we are well out of the hills and in the farmland. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2022 at 11:43 AM, ApexerER said:

I have snowmobiled all over the Adirondacks and have yet to see a moose. I would love to see one here. I have seen them snowmobiling in Vermont and Quebec. They walk the snowmobile Trails since it is easier walking. 

Think @Buckmaster7600  posted a video if i remember correctly, of an Adirondack moose he videoed while tracking up there a couple years ago. 

Riding mullyville there are almost always moose tracks on the trails.

First moose I saw was as a kid in the fields on rt67 right before middleline.

Recently I  have seen them around lake George.

• 6 months later...
On 1/20/2022 at 2:12 PM, ncountry said:

I concur. As of 2018 the DEC estimated 600-800  in the ADKs. I'm betting there is much more than that as well.

Based on the # of trees in a certain swamp near me that get stripped every year .We have at least 1 that spends a lot of time locally and we are well out of the hills and in the farmland. 

That would be the Lisbon swamp ?

Great waterfowl hunting