Anyone Skiing?

Splitear

3 minutes ago, Splitear said:

I'm really wanting to get a babysitter soon so my wife and I can go skiing. Is anyone skiing, and if so, what do the mountains look like right now with the lack of snow so far this season? We usually go up to Gore. 

LOL, come to WNY.  We have snow.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, hueyjazz said:

Deep powder and no ice.   And there's a phase I seldom say in relationship to Gore or Placid.   SIL just got back from Killington, excellent there too.

Ooo.i like the deep powder. One of my funnest day of skiing was when they opened under the upper lift at Gore. I had never seen it open before and had poached it on occasion.lol

I'm really wanting to get a babysitter soon so my wife and I can go skiing. Is anyone skiing, and if so, what do the mountains look like right now with the lack of snow so far this season? We usually go up to Gore. 
How old is your child.....spend the time now and get them involved. My youngest started when he was 23 months old. Fast forward till present day and both my 7 year old and 5 hear old ski black diamonds and both snowboard now as well......best way to beat the winter is get the whole family on the hill!

What part of the state.....head to WNY.....Holiday Valley is unreal right now. We spent Sunday and Monday at Buffalo Ski Center.... conditions were awesome!31043d3eced319eeb631afcec2146670.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How old is your child.....spend the time now and get them involved. My youngest started when he was 23 months old. Fast forward till present day and both my 7 year old and 5 hear old ski black diamonds and both snowboard now as well......best way to beat the winter is get the whole family on the hill!

What part of the state.....head to WNY.....Holiday Valley is unreal right now. We spent Sunday and Monday at Buffalo Ski Center.... conditions were awesome!31043d3eced319eeb631afcec2146670.jpg

He said skiing mountains. WNY is flat like a pancake. That looks like a bunny hill with a J Bar lift, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, Splitear said:

Some of my best times as a teenager were when I was skiing! I only went once after starting and raising my family. Although I was really over weight and out of shape, I surprised the hell out of my buddy who asked me to go with him. He cracked up and said "holy shit you really can ski", when I went swooshing down the slope. lol 

And, I cracked up laughing when we first were gonna go up/down the bunny hill as my first re-entry to skiing, and a little kid came over to hand me the rope tow saying "here Mister let me help you!". hahaha

As a teen I basically lived on the small slopes in Utica, NY, Val Bialis. And on weekends when my Uncle would let me tag along, Snow Ridge, McCauley Mountain, Oak Mountain, and Gore. 

Oh...and now I told my SIL I want him to go  skiing with me down to Bristol, skiing for the first time in about 25-30 years! At  62 years old, 63 in March, the "war on Covid" has kicked my ass and mind at many levels as a provider, but it also drove me to make dramatic changes in my own life, mostly out of fear it would kill me if I did not. In the end it almost actually did kill me somewhat directly/indirectly!  

But at this point, while I have some medical obstacles to overcome still with my overall health picture,  I am pretty much back to where I was in my senior year of high school weight and lab value wise, and I'm ready to tackle the slopes again. Perhaps a bit slower and more careful though! :  )

Edited by New York Hillbilly
more
  • Like 2

He said skiing mountains. WNY is flat like a pancake. That looks like a bunny hill with a J Bar lift, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What the hell is a j bar?

Granted its no Whiteface.....but beats sitting on the couch all weekend.

• Like 4

NYhillbilly 

I gave up skiing for many years once I started a family and career.  I had a buddy that was a program director for a radio station that constantly was after me to ski with him.  He always had free lift and equipment passes as my equipment was long gone and long boards at that.  Well, it turns out one or two trips down the slopes and you are back on expert runs.  It's like riding a bike.  You don't lose that sense of balance.  But I will admit, I don't look to crush moguls anymore.  And I'm 63.  I enjoy backwoods skiing quite a bit too.  It's how I scout deer habits on the land I own.

• Like 1

Holimont is the private club close to HV.  They allow non-members to ski there, weekdays.  Better yet if you know a member, they can get a greatly discounted ticket.  It a very nice ski mountain with zero crowd.  Nothing wrong with HV but I always loved variety. 

We here that learn to ski in the snow/ice of the East have the skills to ski most mountains in the world.  Deep powder is fairly easy but tiring to ski in.  However, you don't learn good edge control like you do on ice.  And the East is faster conditions too.  

My little brother had a place in Tahoe which was great for bigger brother who got to learn powder skiing there.  It's a different technique.  You sit back and pop tips out of powder.  The ski is thinner, more flexible and wider.  You kind of float on snow.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, hueyjazz said:

Holimont is the private club close to HV.  They allow non-members to ski there, weekdays.  Better yet if you know a member, they can get a greatly discounted ticket.  It a very nice ski mountain with zero crowd.  Nothing wrong with HV but I always loved variety. 

We here that learn to ski in the snow/ice of the East have the skills to ski most mountains in the world.  Deep powder is fairly easy but tiring to ski in.  However, you don't learn good edge control like you do on ice.  And the East is faster conditions too.  

My little brother had a place in Tahoe which was great for bigger brother who got to learn powder skiing there.  It's a different technique.  You sit back and pop tips out of powder.  The ski is thinner, more flexible and wider.  You kind of float on snow.

Did you read Squallywood and play GNAR while you were in Tahoe?

Exactly Huey......if you can ski the East coast the rest the world is yours for the taking.
I am going to hit up my neighbor to get us in at Holimont once this winter.....skiing different places is always fun.

• Like 1

I once had the opportunity to ski in the alps.  The big shock was it was exactly the skiing I was acquainted with.  The main difference was length of slope.  Half day of skiing was a run.  Gondola on the way up, huge party.  Not sure how some of them made it down but I think you can take gondola both ways.

• Like 3

I took up skiing when I was in my early 20's. We didn't have any slopes close to us except for Paoli Peaks in Southern Indiana. I'm a big guy, and I build up a lot of momentum. Needless to say, I developed very little skill on my few trips to what I realize were the small hills in Paoli.

When we moved to NY, I really made a solid effort to learn. My wife grew up skiing, their yearly family vacation was to do a week of skiing in West Virginia. She really wanted me to learn, but as anyone who started later in life knows, it's really frustrating. However, through perseverance, I was able to develop enough skill to keep up with her on the blues. I don't try anything more than that as I'm not a fan of hurting myself :) Now it's nice to spend some time with her doing something that she loves, and I have learned to enjoy. 

@mlammerhirtOur oldest is 3, and we talked about getting her started this year, but she just turned 3. I think we'll give her another year. I do look forward to it becoming a family sport. 

• Like 1

I taught my daughter how to ski when she was 10.

8 years later I think I'm going to lose her to the dark side.lol. she is taking up snowboarding.

After she had the basics down I thought maybe I would try snowboarding so I could learn at the same time and have more fun on the easy slopes.. all I can say is skiing skills do NOT tranfer over to snowboarding skills..

I was too old  to be hitting the ground so often.lol. I tried telemark gear and liked it. A little more skill tranfer..;)

On 1/21/2022 at 3:16 PM, Splitear said:

This was literally me for the first 5 years that I went skiing. 

That is funny! Learning to ski in the 80s I was in a hurry to emulate all the expert skiers of the day. Legs locked together. I actually did the whole tie my legs together with a bungy once. ha.ha.ha.