Turkey population decline

G-Man

Our flocks are thriving, i see multiple flocks over 20 birds each, and a couple smaller Batchelor groups of larger birds also. We are on the fringes of a small city with some private protection zones.

I do however think the biggest Predator to the turkeys on our lease is the growing population of fisher cats. I have seen multiple fishers around roost trees the last few springs. I suspect they climb up the trees as well as attack the nests. I have sent my take home trapping test in hopes of taking a stab at them next season. To protect our flock we usually take 1 bird from our lease and try to get 1 bird from public land. We also have a few kids that come for youth season.

6 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Our flocks are thriving, i see multiple flocks over 20 birds each, and a couple smaller Batchelor groups of larger birds also. We are on the fringes of a small city with some private protection zones.

I do however think the biggest Predator to the turkeys on our lease is the growing population of fisher cats. I have seen multiple fishers around roost trees the last few springs. I suspect they climb up the trees as well as attack the nests. I have sent my take home trapping test in hopes of taking a stab at them next season. To protect our flock we usually take 1 bird from our lease and try to get 1 bird from public land. We also have a few kids that come for youth season.

Fisher are just another added predator to the Turkey population no doubt .

This was the first year in 10 that I've lived at my house that I didn't have a resident flock of turkeys hanging behind my house. It seemed quite strange to not see any all season long.

Where I Turkey Hunt in Northern  New Jersey- " Sussex + Passaic Countys"- the Turkey Population  is at an all time very low levels. I feel Lucky to hear a few Gobblers now. Despite that I will soon shell out $135.50 for a non Resident Hunting License  and buy at least 3 over the counter Turkey Permits at 21 Bucks each.

New Jersey needs to definitely  set a max number of Gobbler Permits for the State. I think 3 should be the Max for any 1 Man. Right now- those who have deep pockets and time can kill over 20 Gobblers Legally!   You read that right.

My area of New York in Orange County has Strong Turkey numbers as,I have reported before. 

I have been taking care of up to 29 Turkeys a year for at least 8 years now. I believe  Water Rat here does the same. Of course there is no Hunting past my Deadend road.

What I do see are Far More Spring Turkey Hunters with each new Spring on the Public Dirt. The Gobblers get Pressured  far quicker now and go Quiet sooner after Flydown with so many Turkey Hunters Sprinting in to close the gap and easily being spotted.

I understand  that there are many " Dry" pockets in New York with few Turkeys similar to North Jersey that,I have outlined above.

I understand extreme South Jersey has far Too Many Turkeys and PA Spring Turkey Hunters are Hunting in that area of Jersey in Droves each Spring. That Bonanza  surely can't  last and that Population  will soon nose dive.

Mississippi  has the same problem with Arkansas Turkey Killers as Mississippi  opens up first down South. I believe  some changes were made for this year.

AND OHIO MADE THE EXTREME  MEASURE  OF MAKING 1 GOBBLER THE MAX LIMIT FOR THIS UPCOMING SPRING. I feel bad for those Turkey hunters there.1 week should have been cut off the Season instead...

It's gotten really bad around me in lower Ulster county. Think I was out once last spring. Nothing around here. Completely gone and they were crawling all over my property 5-7 years ago. I didn't see any during deer season so that tells me there's not a lot to look forward to this spring. Sucks, I just keep hoping they'll come back as quickly they disappeared