Sheds 2022?

Kmartinson

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Very rarely are they chewed in my experience. We get enough snow they seem to get covered with from drifts or snowfall. IF they make it into April May before getting picked up after they've been un covered for awhile, they will certainly begin to get chewed on. 

But the main reason i wait is to not bump deer feeding or holding up on our properties to run over into a neighbors and drop them there. Where I don't have permission. If I wait until all or 90% should be dropped.. ill go then. I also make it a family trip, we take the wheelers and SXS and the kids and grandparents and cruise and walk around looking on nicer days.  Makes it more fun too 

We will only walk the fields this early. Not a fan of bumping them hard for the same reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, phade said:

We will only walk the fields this early. Not a fan of bumping them hard for the same reason.

I'm all about the cameras on public right now. We do wildlife preserves around the "city" and when a big one sheds we get after it. Otherwise we leave the lease alone until mid march or I guess if cams show them shed. This is a relatively mild winter I wouldn't go into beds until may be just before turkey season.  I find some sheds chasing birds for sure. I find deadhead to but usually I use those antlers for projects, finding a shed is really special to me. I may only find 10 a year.

• Like 2

Been watching close to 50 deer behind the house most nites... some good ones still with both sides and some missing 1 or both sides.. decided to ride the sled around the areas they been feeding the most and only found 1... snow still prolly 15-18 inches so im sure theres a few buried 

20220128_121341.jpg

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

You surely have them patterned or trained lol

The pile you saw at my house yesterday is from my younger days when I had more time to go. It's tough to get out now with the kids and taxidermy lol. This is actually the only antlered buck that I've had on this camera in a couple weeks now. All the other ones are already shed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

The pile you saw at my house yesterday is from my younger days when I had more time to go. It's tough to get out now with the kids and taxidermy lol. This is actually the only antlered buck that I've had on this camera in a couple weeks now. All the other ones are already shed.

Location location location. You are lucky to be in the right spot.

You are still young my friend, the older we get the slower we move ;) 

On 1/28/2022 at 5:54 AM, Kmartinson said:

That's a sweet set up. Looks like a couple dandies on there. I'm guessing that's a few seasons. Is that all sheds or are there dead heads cut off in thier too?

Think there might be a few cut offs. Mostly sheds. About 20 yrs worth. Most from NY and PA. Some from Arkansas,  Lousiana, Alabama. Had a whole box of them from when i was a kid that my parents "accidentally " threw out when i went in the Army. Use to find them laying around the fields on a farm i worked on in the late 80s and early 90s.

1 hour ago, Lucky118 said:

Think there might be a few cut offs. Mostly sheds. About 20 yrs worth. Most from NY and PA. Some from Arkansas,  Lousiana, Alabama. Had a whole box of them from when i was a kid that my parents "accidentally " threw out when i went in the Army. Use to find them laying around the fields on a farm i worked on in the late 80s and early 90s.

Very awesome! Thanks for sharing.