Sheds 2022?

Kmartinson

2 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

I wonder what they will grow into this yr...cheating maybe but its your livelihood so enjoy it as a by product.

Lol. I figured I would put that disclaimer in there before someone else did…As we know someone else would have.  They will be keepers again next year for sure. A couple of those were yearlings that we held back for breeding this year. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Lol. I figured I would put that disclaimer in there before someone else did…As we know someone else would have.  They will be keepers again next year for sure. A couple of those were yearlings that we held back for breeding this year. 

I figured when I saw the trash and the way you piled them. Cool

3 hours ago, Belo said:

Kmartinson are you using a dog or do you have antler sonar? 

No dog, just a few years practicing.  I treat it like any other hunting. I'm focused,  I never take a walk and don't think I'll find an antler. Scout nights and weekends. Live to be outdoors.

I take this time to go places where bucks live that normally I wouldn't want to go near. Probably around 1/2 of the sheds are from public land and I'm at mile 45. It takes some work but I enjoy it.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

No dog, just a few years practicing.  I treat it like any other hunting. I'm focused,  I never take a walk and don't think I'll find an antler. Scout nights and weekends. Live to be outdoors.

I take this time to go places where bucks live that normally I wouldn't want to go near. Probably around 1/2 of the sheds are from public land and I'm at mile 45. It takes some work but I enjoy it.

do you find yourself walking runs or human paths or do you even dig around in the thick stuff? Some of the biggest sheds I've found were just laying out in the open on an easy to access and walkthrouh area. But the majority I stumbled upon while scouting in the real thick sh!t that is not enjoyable to be in at all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Belo said:

do you find yourself walking runs or human paths or do you even dig around in the thick stuff? Some of the biggest sheds I've found were just laying out in the open on an easy to access and walkthrouh area. But the majority I stumbled upon while scouting in the real thick sh!t that is not enjoyable to be in at all.

Good question.  Lol. If I'm hunting with lots of snow still I will stick to trails that have big tracks and large poop. There are alot of factors that effect timing but usually I'm looking in beds and food sources with lots of sign especially large tracks. I try to be very thorough after the snow melts and before new grass grows. I'm avoiding places where I assume does live and I don't really hunt much ag.

• Like 1

I just watched a trail cam video on Habitat Managers on FB. Now I might be reaching here a bit but the video showed a nice buck in the rain. It shook its body then head to get rain off of it and the horns came flying off. Maybe a good day to shed hunt is a day after some decent rain in January? I might be crazy but what the heck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, First-light said:

I just watched a trail cam video on Habitat Managers on FB. Now I might be reaching here a bit but the video showed a nice buck in the rain. It shook its body then head to get rain off of it and the horns came flying off. Maybe a good day to shed hunt is a day after some decent rain in January? I might be crazy but what the heck!

On public land or presured land, rain is a trigger for some of my adventures. This is not a crazy thought imo. 

• Like 2

My favorite days to shed hunt are right after a rain. The leaves lay flat and makes spotting them easier. If you can combine an overcast day after a rain all the better, antlers get tougher to see in bright sunlight.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1