frozen/freezing pipes

rachunter

For the last month I've been dealing with my pipes freezing when the temps go under 20*  I've tried reinsulating an exposed area didn't help.I've goggled the poop out of this and everything I've read says let the faucets drip? is this the only solution?

I only shut the water for a few hours to run up to the store,it took 4 hours to thew the pipes.The thing that gets me is its always the hot water that freezes first and takes the longest to thew.I'm not used to dealing with temps from 20* to 25- this is driving me nuts.

7 minutes ago, rachunter said:

For the last month I've been dealing with my pipes freezing when the temps go under 20*  I've tried reinsulating an exposed area didn't help.I've goggled the poop out of this and everything I've read says let the faucets drip? is this the only solution?

I only shut the water for a few hours to run up to the store,it took 4 hours to thew the pipes.The thing that gets me is its always the hot water that freezes first and takes the longest to thew.I'm not used to dealing with temps from 20* to 25- this is driving me nuts.

Do u have a basement ? Pipes go up an outside wall ?

It's a mobile home[alright its a trailer] the pipe[pvc/pex] run underneath there's a skirt? that holds the insulation in.I'm guessing over the years and different owners that worked on the pipes left them exposed at one point I replaced the insulation in those areas. the problem seems to be in the same area every time.The kitchen which is the farthest from the water heater is the lest to freeze.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rachunter said:

It's a mobile home[alright its a trailer] the pipe[pvc/pex] run underneath there's a skirt? that holds the insulation in.I'm guessing over the years and different owners that worked on the pipes left them exposed at one point I replaced the insulation in those areas. the problem seems to be in the same area every time.The kitchen which is the farthest from the water heater is the lest to freeze.

Nothing wrong with it being a trailer. Be proud, it's yours

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, rachunter said:

No that and the toilet have that pipe wrap that gets plugged in.

Sounds like the easiest fix for now is the heat tape(pipe wrap you plug in)

Are you using a secondary heat source like a pellet stove etc.. often when this is done, especially in a manufactured home , it can lead to freezing problems because the furnace ductwork doesn't radiate the heat underneath like it normally would if the furnace was running more often..

Holy run on sentence.lol

You may need to keep a heat source underneath the trailer for the rest of the winter till weather breaks, and a proper inspection and repair can be made.

Block the draft, as others have said, heat tape, if possible, but don't wrap, or criss cross. Use electric tape to hold in place, and run on bottom side of pipes. Also wrap water lines  with pipe insulation. 

Issue with allowing water to run constant is you could cause the drain to freeze. Be careful with that.

Good luck to you, I had to go down a hole this am for the neighbor because of frozen pipes. She never plugged in the heatlamp in the well house this winter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ncountry said:

Sounds like the easiest fix for now is the heat tape(pipe wrap you plug in)

Are you using a secondary heat source like a pellet stove etc.. often when this is done, especially in a manufactured home , it can lead to freezing problems because the furnace ductwork doesn't radiate the heat underneath like it normally would if the furnace was running more often..

Holy run on sentence.lol

Yes I've been heating with a wood stove the burner goes on maybe once or twice if I don't get up and refill the stove.

4 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

You may need to keep a heat source underneath the trailer for the rest of the winter till weather breaks, and a proper inspection and repair can be made.

Block the draft, as others have said, heat tape, if possible, but don't wrap, or criss cross. Use electric tape to hold in place, and run on bottom side of pipes. Also wrap water lines  with pipe insulation. 

Issue with allowing water to run constant is you could cause the drain to freeze. Be careful with that.

Good luck to you, I had to go down a hole this am for the neighbor because of frozen pipes. She never plugged in the heatlamp in the well house this winter.

The trap on the shower froze once so no I put in ant-freeze[RV pink} seems to be working the others are in the house.

15 minutes ago, left field said:

Heat tape around my spring intake was a game changer. I believe they suggest replacing every three years.

Here's a guy who swears by reflective bubble wrap inside his skirting. 

I used his septic tank idea for my washing machine dry well it worked out great.

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

Does the heat tape need to be plugged in?

The heat tape is worthless if it isn't plugged in . 

We had a mobile home when we we 1st married . Always used a heat tape . Never got frozen pipes here north of the 104 Corridor . 

The heat tape is worthless if it isn't plugged in . 
We had a mobile home when we we 1st married . Always used a heat tape . Never got frozen pipes here north of the 104 Corridor . 

I didn’t even know what it was until someone mentioned it in this thread. It’s on the main and toilet. There’s only one outlet under there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk