frozen/freezing pipes

rachunter

Lived in a mobile home for several yrs with a wood stove  The skirting needs to be  100% sealed off from the outside, with return air ducts circulating the underneith air with the living room air. I turned the furnace to fan only.  I had  two small holes in the ductwork front and aft to keep the underside of the mobile home from freezing.  

10 hours ago, rachunter said:

I didn’t even know what it was until someone mentioned it in this thread. It’s on the main and toilet. There’s only one outlet under there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a heat tape on the water pipe under the trailer ( from where the pipe comes out of the ground to where it goes into the trailer ) . The tapes come in different lengths . Get the right size . What ever you do , do "NOT" wrap the tape over itself

• Thanks 1

I have a PEX feed to an out building... followed this  alaska pipe insulation to 40 below web link
            -

then bought an interval timer https://www.amazon.com/BN-LINK-Period-Repeat-Intermittent-Interval/dp/B0184CG9K0/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Repeat+Timer&qid=1642947980&sr=8-2

and finally a remote switch https://www.amazon.com/HBN-Wireless-Weatherproof-Grounded-Included/dp/B07WX2NBWR/ref=sr_1_8?crid=Y7KZB8PYTYFD&keywords=remote+switch&qid=1642948135&sprefix=remote+switch%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-8

I can turn it on/from from the kitchen and the timer is set to run the heat tape 6 minutes on and 54 off... keeps water slightly warm, no free ups.

• Like 1

Unit 8R has a good method for sure. Like fasteddie mentioned if you go the heat tape method lay it flat along the line. Secure it to the pipe with electrical tape, and possibly some pipe insulation Everbilt 3/4 in. x 6 ft. Foam Semi-Slit Polyethylene Pipe Insulation-ORP07812 - The Home Depot

A little to short heat tape is ok but to long is not good. Keep it plugged in on cold nights/days especially if it is windy. Having it on a switched outlet would save plugging it in each time and lengthen the life of the heat tape. 

You can wrap the Heat Tape around the pipe for better coverage . Just DON"T wrap the tape over itself . I haven't used one in several years but I recall the tapes had a tab at the end that would glow so you knew it was working . 

This is just one example of a Lowe's Heat Tape . There are different sizes .

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EasyHeat-AHB-6-ft-42-Watt-Pipe-Heat-Cable/1069433