The Nomads Southern tour ‘22 !

Nomad

Starts at 0800 hrs .

should be interesting, we use Rubbermaid totes to pack, throw shoes in the bottom ,then jeans ,shorts, T shirts, pullovers etc . I was packed in 15 minutes ,well I did spend some time picking out which pocketknives,flashlights and 9mm to bring  . Mrs Nomad has two beds covered in clothes and has to try each piece on ……she’s been up,there a L-O -N-G time and still has to make the egg salad and pasta salad for the cooler . Back to the totes they fit nice on the back seat and leave  plenty of room to layer on top of them ,and work as laundry baskets at the condos , we use a carry on for hotel stops .

Now she says we should take an extra day to drive down ! Wtf my sister expects us Thursday afternoon , and our friends Sue and Bob are coming over as well, plus Bob wants to take me Bass fishing so cutting a day off that stop of 3 nights 2 days would leave just one day to try and fish , the dates were only set months ago ….

we did get tickets for St. Louis Vs the Yankees in Tampa ! 

So the Villages then Cocoa Beach for a month ,then Lino Beach by Sarasota for two weeks , back to the Villages, then  friends house near Knoxville , then my nephews Lake house near Nashville for as long as I want , he blindly said ….

Stay tuned .

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Starts at 0800 hrs .

should be interesting, we use Rubbermaid totes to pack, throw shoes in the bottom ,then jeans ,shorts, T shirts, pullovers etc . I was packed in 15 minutes ,well I did spend some time picking out which pocketknives,flashlights and 9mm to bring  . Mrs Nomad has two beds covered in clothes and has to try each piece on ……she’s been up,there a L-O -N-G time and still has to make the egg salad and pasta salad for the cooler . Back to the totes they fit nice on the back seat and leave  plenty of room to layer on top of them ,and work as laundry baskets at the condos , we use a carry on for hotel stops .

Now she says we should take an extra day to drive down ! Wtf my sister expects us Thursday afternoon , and our friends Sue and Bob are coming over as well, plus Bob wants to take me Bass fishing so cutting a day off that stop of 3 nights 2 days would leave just one day to try and fish , the dates were only set months ago ….

So the Villages then Cocoa Beach for a month ,then Lino Beach by Sarasota for two weeks , back to the Villages, then  friends house near Knoxville , then my nephews Lake house near Nashville for as long as I want , he blindly said ….

Stay tuned .

Don't you get in any trouble Larry and drive safe.

Two quick questions; don't you still have a dawg and what watches are you bringing?

OK, one more; what knives?

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Don't you get in any trouble Larry and drive safe.

Two quick questions; don't you still have a dawg and what watches are you bringing?

OK, one more; what knives?

Gus was put down, this summer , the cat last week .

watches , a Hook and Gaff ( boutique brand , for ocean fishermen ),   and my pricey one .

knives , a Spyderco Salt series ,again for ocean water use , a Spyderco Yojimbo, a small Case single blade , a fixed blade Strider ,and a  Leatherman tool . A Leatherman, electrical tape and zip ties have been very handy on trips . 

Ill carry one Spydie, and the Case for use in polite company, folks I mostly try to avoid anyway . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sounds fun, but can’t imagine driving to Florida. You can be there in 2 hours via plane and no stress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driving does suck. But you get to find the little gems of the beaten path you can't if you fly. I usually always support local no chains when on vacation. Places where owner is there and will show you around hole in the walls.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Gus was put down, this summer , the cat last week .

watches , a Hook and Gaff ( boutique brand , for ocean fishermen ),   and my pricey one .

knives , a Spyderco Salt series ,again for ocean water use , a Spyderco Yojimbo, a small Case single blade , a fixed blade Strider ,and a  Leatherman tool . A Leatherman, electrical tape and zip ties have been very handy on trips . 

Ill carry one Spydie, and the Case for use in polite company, folks I mostly try to avoid anyway . 

Hook & Gaff would be cool names for a couple new cats if/when it's appropriate. 

I never heard of that watch but don't doubt its decent.  The collection of knives making the trip is certainly worthy of a road trip.  And a Leatherman is always close by for my too.  I never seem to have enough zip ties but do seem to have electrical tape handy for some reason. 

Sorry to hear about the pets; turn the page.

24 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sounds fun, but can’t imagine driving to Florida. You can be there in 2 hours via plane and no stress

Lol, driven it countless times, cross county 2xs and on and on . Our kids drove to fla  yearly for spring break , just like I did in the 70s it’s nothing really . 

we’re going to three spots in Fla and two in Tennessee, do you propose  we fly to them all ? And what about daily driving while there for two months ? Rental cars are now expensive and scarce,or so I’ve been told .

Flyings great for a  brief two week stay at one place , did that many many times .

Plus I could never take all the needed stuff for two months ,fishing gear , beach chairs  , beach clothes , cooler ,  boots , binoculars, and stuff for hunting land scouting ,shed hunting in Tenn. On a plane .

and the wife’s bringing a 30 pack of Genny light 

now this summer we are fying to Alaska,although my parents drove their Suburban pulling a camper when the went .

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

Starts at 0800 hrs .

Stay tuned .

Take some time and get some Tennessee scouting done for us for next year:mosking:.

Life is a journey, not a destination!  Enjoy the ride.  

We may head south for 3 or 4 weeks at the end of March.  I have a few stops planned out already, south to the Great Smokey Mountains, Savannah, FLA Panhandle, then west to New Orleans,  then Corpus Christi, Dallas, up towards Grand Rapids, then back east to home.   Some places we have been, some are new to us.  Loose plan, we will stop along the way and be open to hanging the agenda on a moments notice.     I do plan to stop in as many ammo places as I can! 

• Like 2

Lol, driven it countless times, cross county 2xs and on and on . Our kids drove to fla  yearly for spring break , just like I did in the 70s it’s nothing really . 
we’re going to three spots in Fla and two in Tennessee, do you propose  we fly to them all ? And what about daily driving while there for two months ? Rental cars are now expensive and scarce,or so I’ve been told .
Flyings great for a  brief two week stay at one place , did that many many times .
Plus I could never take all the needed stuff for two months ,fishing gear , beach chairs  , beach clothes , cooler ,  boots , binoculars, and stuff for hunting land scouting ,shed hunting in Tenn. On a plane .
now this summer we are fying to Alaska,although my parents drove their Suburban pulling a camper when the went .

I drink on vacation so no rentals!

I wanted to see you board a plane with no mask

• Like 1

I wanted to see you board a plane with no mask

And pocketful of knives!

Do NOT allow that schedule change!!! Once you do, Mama Nomad is gonna have you all crossed up!!! Kidding of course! Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

We’re in South Carolina near Georgia, stopped early 2:30 , had 400 miles in by then  ( it’s nice to go 75-80 ) should be at my sisters in The Villages 2:30 tomorrow. West Virginia is a beautiful state to drive through , once we hit 95 in South Carolina,that road really blows , only two lanes , crowded and most of it looked like the Germans bombed it , God only knows why people take it from penn down .

Walterboro is an ok town ,we hiked some areas then got a early a very good and cheap dinner at a local joint where everyone knew each other , fun times ! 

Was sick,last night up,from 4  AM, stomach,and back was crazy in pain , Walked the hotel grounds for an hour , tried stretching and sleeping on the floor , puked ,finally  took a muscle relaxer from my go bag ,which has everything I may need for almost anything ,that helped ,by 8 AM I was ready to hit the road , didn’t eat till tonight.

A few days at The Villages then Cocoa Beach from a month, anyone know where Jeannie lives ? 

4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

We’re in South Carolina near Georgia, stopped early 2:30 , had 400 miles in by then  ( it’s nice to go 75-80 ) should be at my sisters in The Villages 2:30 tomorrow. West Virginia is a beautiful state to drive through , once we hit 95 in South Carolina,that road really blows , only two lanes , crowded and most of it looked like the Germans bombed it , God only knows why people take it from penn down .

Walterboro is an ok town ,we hiked some areas then got a early a very good and cheap dinner at a local joint where everyone knew each other , fun times ! 

Was sick,last night up,from 4  AM, stomach,and back was crazy in pain , Walked the hotel grounds for an hour , tried stretching and sleeping on the floor , puked ,finally  took a muscle relaxer from my go bag ,which has everything I may need for almost anything ,that helped ,by 8 AM I was ready to hit the road , didn’t eat till tonight.

A few days at The Villages then Cocoa Beach from a month, anyone know where Jeannie lives ? 

Dukes bbq in walterboro is very good.  First time there some locals could tell I was confused at the food and they had to walk me through what they were serving hahaha.  The bbq sauce there is yellow and it is amazing!!

• Like 1

So my advice is don’t get kidney stones while Traveling!! Been batting it since Tuesday , very very strong pain, two nights of zero sleep , got a bottle of RX pain pills from a guy at the villages ,that helped a tiny bit .

Today went to urgent care got two RX an X-ray ,urine test etc . Getting small pieces in my pee . It was so bad I had to have the Mrs drive , and she Passed a blacked out cop car in the the number two lane  ,not knowing speed limit dropped from 60 to 45 lol . He dropped in behind us then broke off .

Ok we’re on  the beach in Cocoa beach, surf fishing is very good they say, there’s a rod in the condo ,I’ll have to learn.

Just walked to the beach to see a rocket launch , but it was cancelled at the last minute because a cruise ship was out front of the launch area , WTF one would think they’d be kept out of the area for the launch .

630201B1-9240-4DA3-8EE3-772C3BEAFAF6.jpeg

31AF80FD-5181-4C61-A499-E5E48B1D1C58.jpeg

Edited by Nomad