Traditional Muzzleloading

Robby

I enjoy muzzleloading, and am hoping for more time to dedicate to it. I did a post a while back that I'm looking at starting a 4-H Muzzleloading and Heritage Arts program for the kids I work with. We've had to put it on hold due to Covid numbers, but I'm hoping maybe March or April for a start. 

At some point I'll be shopping for a flintlock, and would like something from a private maker. In the next year or 2 I'm going to make the trip to Friendship to see what's out there. I don't want to sink a few grand on a gun that I don't like. I'm really thinking about a smoothbore like a fowler though. I like being able to use a PRB or shot. I know it's not as accurate, but if I can kill a deer with it within 50 yards, I'd be happy. Right now I have a TC New Englander with a .50 and 12 gauge barrel. I haven't used the shotgun barrel yet, I need to get some shot at some point and shoot it. 

Are both of those guns yours? They are beautiful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Splitear said:

I enjoy muzzleloading, and am hoping for more time to dedicate to it. I did a post a while back that I'm looking at starting a 4-H Muzzleloading and Heritage Arts program for the kids I work with. We've had to put it on hold due to Covid numbers, but I'm hoping maybe March or April for a start. 

At some point I'll be shopping for a flintlock, and would like something from a private maker. In the next year or 2 I'm going to make the trip to Friendship to see what's out there. I don't want to sink a few grand on a gun that I don't like. I'm really thinking about a smoothbore like a fowler though. I like being able to use a PRB or shot. I know it's not as accurate, but if I can kill a deer with it within 50 yards, I'd be happy. Right now I have a TC New Englander with a .50 and 12 gauge barrel. I haven't used the shotgun barrel yet, I need to get some shot at some point and shoot it. 

Are both of those guns yours? They are beautiful.

Yes they are mine, I make them. Flintlocks are a huge technical advancement for me that I took up about twenty years ago. Before that I hunted exclusively with Bows and arrows I made my self. Making the tools I use is the fun part, hunting with them is the challenge. We never want for meat.

Robby

• Like 2

I have several cap lock rifles, never got into a flintlocks, these days I am more of a shooter than hunter with mine. I am not a big time Deer hunter and just take one if I get the opportunity. I still do quite a bit of small game hunting and picked up a Crockett Squirrel rifle a couple of years ago, I did get a couple of Squirrels with it but my eyes at this stage of the game make it tough trying to hit small targets, wish I had it back in the day when there were Woodchucks in big numbers. I still have a blast shooting targets.

Al

2022-01-26_155459.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 5

Back in the 80's and early 90's I hunted a fair amount in PA during their late flintlock season.    I did hunt NYS also but not as much.  I've threatened to take it out again here in New York but I enjoy hunting with my smokeless ML'r too much.  Some day when I'm retired I guess........

My gun is a 50cal T/C Flintlock.  I bought it from an Erie County Sheriff back in 1985 for $200 with all kinds of accessories.  I killed a few doe with it, patched round ball and real black powder.  

• Like 2

I built this T/C Hawken from a kit about 40 years ago and have taken many deer with it.  I've always used T/C Maxi-Balls and Pyrodex powder with a No. 11 percussion cap.  It worked from the start so I never saw a need to experiment with other options.  I have it to hunt in the ML deer season.  I have considered getting a .32 for squirrel and a flintlock as well, but unless an opportunity presents itself that I cannot turn down, it will most likely not happen.

You have some fabulous rifles there.  Do you make them to sell?

MyTC45.jpg

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 2

Sho' nuff. 

My go to for ML season is my Lyman Great Plains n .54 caplock, but last spring I also got the newer version of the GP rifle in flintlock, which I have fallen in love with. At that time I also joined the closest black powder club to shoot weekly, which did wonders for my skills (Lock Stock and Barrel near Fulton). I am currently building a Kibler long rifle kit in .58 flintlock, which i should have ready to shoot by the time weather starts to break. I shoot strictly patched ball and black powder.

• Like 1

Dave, I am left handed, I do shoot right handed as well but prefer shooting lefty, it just feels more natural. The rifle, .45, I made for myself and took deer with it last year. The fowler is equal to a 16 Ga. and made for one of my kids, though I use it quite a bit, I am currently making a 24 Ga. ,.58, left hander for myself and hope to have it ready for this coming turkey season. We also shoot trap with them.

I am retired and no longer make them and the accouterments that go with them for sale. I just enjoy the making of all that stuff.

A bag and pulverflaschen for a Jaeger rifle.

IMG_0349.thumb.jpeg.688fdd7001ba2748869ee9c2e7fdb3c8.jpeg

A set of horns I made many years ago and kind of got me started down this road.

IMG_0295.thumb.jpeg.c40ac9026b10ecf9d680ec604d72c48f.jpeg

IMG_0294.thumb.jpeg.bc79a7f94d17782a7849a4b897e235fe.jpeg

Robby

Edited by Robby
punctuation
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, Robby said:

Dave, I am left handed, I do shoot right handed as well but prefer shooting lefty, it just feels more natural. The rifle, .45, I made for myself and took deer with it last year. The fowler is equal to a 16 Ga. and made for one of my kids, though I use it quite a bit, I am currently making a 24 Ga. ,.58, left hander for myself and hope to have it ready for this coming turkey season. We also shoot trap with them.

I am retired and no longer make them and the accouterments that go with them for sale. I just enjoy the making of all that stuff.

A bag and pulverflaschen for a Jaeger rifle.

IMG_0349.thumb.jpeg.688fdd7001ba2748869ee9c2e7fdb3c8.jpeg

A set of horns I made many years ago and kind of got me started down this road.

IMG_0295.thumb.jpeg.c40ac9026b10ecf9d680ec604d72c48f.jpeg

IMG_0294.thumb.jpeg.bc79a7f94d17782a7849a4b897e235fe.jpeg

Robby

Holy cow, that is some beautiful work!

• Like 1

Great work! I love the gear crafting myself, but have to limit myself to more plain jane gear. I am making a pair of horns  for the flinter I am building, and hope to do some simple scrimshaw with it...likely just my name done in traditional styling.  Your horns are stunning. Can I ask how many hours approx. into the larger one? Probably limited time to spend on such things is as big a limit as talent, in my case.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:36 AM, Daveboone said:

Sho' nuff. 

My go to for ML season is my Lyman Great Plains n .54 caplock, but last spring I also got the newer version of the GP rifle in flintlock, which I have fallen in love with. At that time I also joined the closest black powder club to shoot weekly, which did wonders for my skills (Lock Stock and Barrel near Fulton). I am currently building a Kibler long rifle kit in .58 flintlock, which i should have ready to shoot by the time weather starts to break. I shoot strictly patched ball and black powder.

Dave,  I had never heard of Lock, Stock and Barrel in Fulton.  Looks like a great place!  I hope to come out there sometime soon and shoot with everyone. 

http://www.lockstockandbarrelclub.com/

• Like 1