Wind mills on Lake Erie

farmer 52

22 minutes ago, farmer 52 said:

I would guess there are alot of WNY guys,probably central and southern tier guys also that enjoy Lake Erie for recreation and fishing.Please get involved in putting a stop to the wind mill project that will run from Hamburg to Dunkirk.

Any idea who to contact about this??  Has this already been approved??  At least they don’t want to do fracking in the area!!

13 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

What is the negative side to windmills? I only as because it seems better than burning fossil fuels but don't actually know? Are they actually going to be in the lake? Good fishing structure?

Oil leakage directly into lake,the breakdown of the unit it self,maintanence of the unit in winter.These would be just a few of the drawbacks.Also I dont believe there is another wind farm in this country that is directly placed in a fresh water .

5 minutes ago, farmer 52 said:

Oil leakage directly into lake,the breakdown of the unit it self,maintanence of the unit in winter.These would be just a few of the drawbacks.Also I dont believe there is another wind farm in this country that is directly placed in a fresh water .

That sucks

In addition to the windmills, they will follow with solar. The reason I know this is because I live in an area with windmills and now the big push is to put up a 1200 acre solar farm.  Once they get the area zoned for commercial energy it's game over, and the solar is much more detrimental to the wildlife and and surrounding area than the windmills ever were.

Just now, Rack Attack said:

In addition to the windmills, they will follow with solar. The reason I know this is because I live in an area with windmills and now the big push is to put up a 1200 acre solar farm.  Once they get the area zoned for commercial energy it's game over, and the solar is much more detrimental to the wildlife and and surrounding area than the windmills ever were.

How is solar more detrimental??  Aren’t all solar farms fenced in??  Just curious 

49 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

What is the negative side to windmills? I only as because it seems better than burning fossil fuels but don't actually know? Are they actually going to be in the lake? Good fishing structure?

Had massive problem with Iced up Texas windmills about a year ago. Kinda sucks when wind isn't blowing also. At least go with what works now and hope for other breakthroughs in the future. 

I know you can't hunt near the land variety.  That shuts down a big chunk around them . Can't imagine they will allow you to anchor  near enough to fish one . The ones here are a one and done. The feds give money to build them . When they are down for good they leave them . They don't get money to replace them . Company's don't want to spend their own money on them . When they are forced to remove them there is no recycling  it all goes in the  land fill .. wish I could find the news thread I was reading last week about them .

35 minutes ago, boo711 said:

How is solar more detrimental??  Aren’t all solar farms fenced in??  Just curious 

How about just because it's fenced in, forcing all the wildlife off the property onto adjoining farms where their crops get decimated.  Or how about because it takes up 1200 acres rather than the 1 acre a windmill takes.  How about you have 1200 acre of junk solar panels to get rid of when they are done with them and abandoned them.  Just a few things, I could keep going.  The problem with all renewable energy sources minus maybe hydro is they are not energy dense enough to be truly viable at this point.

18 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

I know you can't hunt near the land variety.  That shuts down a big chunk around them . Can't imagine they will allow you to anchor  near enough to fish one . The ones here are a one and done. The feds give money to build them . When they are down for good they leave them . They don't get money to replace them . Company's don't want to spend their own money on them . When they are forced to remove them there is no recycling  it all goes in the  land fill .. wish I could find the news thread I was reading last week about them .

IDK, but the ones around me you can sit right at the base of them and hunt if you want.  They've been here for 23 years.

1 hour ago, Rack Attack said:

We escaped the windmills but are getting pounded by solar. There are 3 projects within 10 miles of us that is eating up a couple thousand acres. Huge and fugly 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

We escaped the windmills but are getting pounded by solar. There are 3 projects within 10 miles of us that is eating up a couple thousand acres. Huge and fugly 

Yes,there is also a huge solar farm going in on the Elma,Marilla border.Wondering how all the neighbors that border this mess are going to cope with it.

1 minute ago, farmer 52 said:

Yes,there is also a huge solar farm going in on the Elma,Marilla border.Wondering how all the neighbors that border this mess are going to cope with it.

I'm sure it'll help their property values right out...  Oh and another "great" part about the solar fields is all the property they sit on is now tax exempt, since it's being used for "green" renewable energy.  So not only will it devalue your adjacent property, you now get to pick up the tax burden on top...

The technology that makes the most sense is Hydro-electric.  Every major US city during the industrial age was built on waterway to provide transport and power.  New England is loaded with shutdown mills that would be idea to generate power.  Niagara Falls is worlds cheapest source of power with multiple generation plants but there's far more waterwalls that could but don't.  And oh, there's utilities out there that even have hydro plants but mothballed them.  It's far more profitable and do little or nothing and bill you for transport which is almost half your bill.

How many dams are there they could generate power but don't?  Water has to be released.   If water flows at a good rate, it can turn a wheel.  It isn't without issues.  Fish and other aquatic wildlife can suffer but I've seen the piles of dead birds and such under a windmill.

Nuclear might even be first in costs except with the huge expense of controlling its environmental liability until stable or until we have technology to make it so.  Should happen in a few thousand years, whatever comes first.  Every nuclear generation facility is actual a storage facility.  Every spent rod is still there and will be long after plant doesn't generate.

From an engineering and maintenance standpoint, wind makes zero sense.  Always in remote location.  Ever see the bundle of cables in a windfall.  Do you know what resistance is and what it means in that bundle?  And then they generate in DC which has to be rectified into AC.  System is loaded with losses

Solar makes more sense bur marginally.  My business use to make the laser that made line traces on panels.  They wanted us to service lasers but the materials they used to make panels are high toxic in minute quantities.  No way, we got out of it.  Think of that next time you see a nice "Environmental" solar farm covering farmland.   I'm quite OK when I see solar farms on top of old landfills.

• Like 1