So looking for a bigger house at 62 ?

luberhill

14 hours ago, left field said:

This is right on. I have 25 and while most is wooded, it's a ton of work. 

I know people that own hundreds of acres. They only maintain the 1-2 acres around the house. They don't do anything with the rest of the acreage.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mowin said:

I know people that own hundreds of acres. They only maintain the 1-2 acres around the house. They don't do anything with the rest of the acreage.  

Yeah, I'm in the same mindset. Like hunting, you make of it what you want. You can slugger/smoothie or you can work year round at it.

Same with owning land, short of liability components/requirements.

In any case, it's a good spot to be in a decision on for luberhill. Enjoy what makes you happy. Congrats.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, luberhill said:

So we have lived ( wife and me ) in a 1300 sf ranch on a half acre for 35 yrs ..

Now we are looking for a 2000 sf ranch or two story on a bigger lot ..

Seems like we are doing the opposite of wait people our age do .

Im sick of neighbors :)

Id love to find a 2000 st ranch on a 25 acre lot in the Fingerlakes area ..

I know we are going to have to pay up and I’m fine with that..

We have no kids so I figure we may as well blow some cash instead of leaving it to someone :)

This market is stupid right now 

Remember if you buy 25 acres of heavily wooded property simply clear Half an Acre have a company come in pour a slab , install a well and septic and buy a Modular ( Everything on one floor , no basement ) and have it delivered .  Possibly take two (2) months to get that all done and leave the other 24.5 acres heavily wooded .... paradise !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Remember if you buy 25 acres of heavily wooded property simply clear Half an Acre have a company come in pour a slab , install a well and septic and buy a Modular ( Everything on one floor , no basement ) and have it delivered .  Possibly take two (2) months to get that all done and leave the other 24.5 acres heavily wooded .... paradise !

Buddy of mine sells modular homes. He told me last week the manufacturer is 6+ months out. Supply issues is the main reason.  He's waiting on one that's about ready to go except for countertops that are on backorder. 

At 64 we bought our forever home last year. Used to be able to walk out back and hunt. But the winter upkeep was getting to be too much, and dealing with eight to ten cords of wood per year. Along with cutting six acres of grass in the summer each week. 

Found the perfect place in a quiet residential neighborhood. Four beds two baths, only the one bedroom up above the heated garage. Half acre lot, and driveway is only 60 feet!! Five minute drive to the boat launch on the Mohawk is nice too. 

Just wanted to have something much easier for my wife to take care of, should I not be there. And free up a bunch of time for me to do other things, as I near retirement. We did pay 5k over asking, but feel we still got a great deal for all we got with the house. It was completely re-done inside, including appliances, before we bought it. So no having to do anything before moving in.

Can't hunt out my back door anymore, but I'm good with that. Still have the farm property to hunt, about 20 minutes away. I have the best of both worlds, and feel very fortunate.

Everyone needs to weigh what they want, and what is best for them. 

Wishing the OP all the best in finding their perfect place!

Edited by grampy
  • Like 3