What makes a trophy ?

wolc123

37 minutes ago, Belo said:

I’m going to say something that’s probably unpopular and I’m the kind of guy that agrees that we all hunt for various reasons and that’s all that matters.

But every deer is a trophy is bull shit.

Your first deer regardless of sex or size. Of course.

A deer after a tough year, a drought or in the middle of a tough time in your life? Of course.

Your biggest buck, a book buck? Obviously.

Heck a nice doe at the end of the year to avoid an empty freezer? Sure.

But no, that 2nd doe during rifle or the 3rd 2 year old buck in as many years. No they’re not trophy’s. I thought the vibe of most on this site was that not everybody gets a trophy? And while I agree that a trophy is relative to the hunter, some deer get you fist pumping and freaking out and others don’t otherwise those trophy deer wouldn’t be trophies.

To elaborate a little, it doesn’t mean that every deer isn’t special or meaningful. The first deer I killed in MS on public land from my climber with a mz is still to this day the most excited I’ve ever been and she was just an average doe for that region. Some of the meat doe I’ve shot over the last few years got the heart going and an adrenaline rush but that’s about it.

Everyone’s meter is probably different but think back and think about how many fist pumps you did, how long were you shaking after the shot. How many pictures did you take and how many texts and calls did you make. My guess is that not all your harvests were equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belo hit on some good points. I copied that post here where it was on the right topic.  My first Adirondack deer was an early ML week doe and was definitely one of, if not my own personal favorite “trophy”.  This one from last year, was also right up there.  It took me 3 years and about 36 hunts to finally bring her down.  

Some folks make a big deal about how challenging it is to kill “mature” bucks, but mature does can be even more challenging.  A rut crazed buck of any age is the dumbest animal in the woods and can easily be taken by a hunter of any skill level.  No such “free ride” with a mature doe.  

94932066-023B-4CAE-884E-F1C28289DB51.thumb.jpeg.b1d9c84b7625d4286e738b39c54c8fee.jpeg

7E9C2837-B46B-46EC-A931-52496FBC52E8.thumb.jpeg.a2291f38261170db1a8048842a9d59c1.jpeg

A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder .Mine was a doe that I shot about 30+ years ago . I measured the girth at 41 inches . My SIL said if she hadn't seen me field dress it , she would have thought it was carrying twins . I stopped at the DEC office in Avon . Went into the office and asked on officer to check the deer . He asked if something was wrong and I told him the measurement . He rolled his eyes and put the paper down . He came out and checked my doe . He measured 42inch girth . It was the biggest deer I ever shot . 

• Like 7

I guess I don't see a lifestyle as getting a trophy. I don't hunt, fish or do anything for a trophy or any recognition.  I do these things because I enjoy them.  I like the pursuit of game and a full freezer from these pursuits to enjoy all season and with others.  I don't see it as a competition to outdo others with a bigger buck. We don't all hunt the same piece of land at the same time so I don't see it as a competition in any way.

To me a trophy is something in the professional sports world or something kids are given for accomplishments in school in a competition with peers. 

I have several fish mounts on the wall and only one buck mount. But the term trophy doesn't feel like it fits to me. I didn't beat out any competition to get these, only worked hard myself for the opportunity, the experience and the stories that come about from it and they are reminders of those times. 

And hunting and fishing for me are about the enjoyment and I enjoy it whether I get a bucket of perch or a monster walleye, or a nice doe for the freezer or a big buck for the wall, it all was fun.  

• Like 4

Biggest reason I hunt is because I just love being out there and seeing the deer. 2nd because we love venison. I am very proud of some of the deer I have taken, and the relatively small bull moose I shot. But I dont think I consider them trophies. That would demean the animals I love so much. I look at the antlers/ mounts and think of the beautiful animal I killed.

1 hour ago, grampy said:

The term "trophy" as it pertains to deer hunting to me, is any deer killed.

In a pure sense, yes, a trophy is a memento of an event. But I think when it comes to hunted animals it seems to now mean an exceptional example of that species. Put another way, would you call yourself a "trophy hunter"?

I had a discussion with my young niece who said that everyone is beautiful. I replied that while everyone should certainly be treated that way, if everyone is beautiful, then no one is. Apply it wholesale to every person and the word ceases to have meaning. (Don't ask about the conversation we had on "slut shaming".)

I have to think that trophy is the same way. You can argue (and should) about whether a successfully hunted animal is a trophy to you, but objectively they can't all be as we now define the word.

Edited by left field
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, left field said:

In a pure sense, yes, a trophy is a memento of an event. But I think when it comes to hunted animals it seems to now mean an exceptional example of that species. Put another way, would you call yourself a "trophy hunter"?

I had a discussion with my young niece who said that everyone is beautiful. I replied that while everyone should certainly be treated that way, if everyone is beautiful, then no one is. Apply it wholesale to every person and the word ceases to have meaning. (Don't ask about the conversation we had on "slut shaming".)

I have to think that trophy is the same way. You can argue (and should) about whether a successfully hunted animal is a trophy to you, but objectively they can't all be as we now define the word.

In the almost 50 years I've been hunting deer, I can honestly say every one of them is a trophy to ME! Not to anyone else, but to me. Of course, some mean more than others. But every single one of them are trophies. I do see your point. Yes, I've taken a fair share of mature bucks. But my first buck with a bow, a spike, is among my most prized trophies. There are many things besides the size of antlers that make a deer a trophy. 

• Like 4

You sir are a cunning linguist and make sense here. I do like to think of every animal as sacred and special but the word trophy may not fit according to the truest definition.

• Like 1

“Trophy” is probably not the best choice of words, when it comes to discussing a deer kill.  

“Meaningful” would be a lot better, and that is always in the eyes of the killer.  

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder .Mine was a doe that I shot about 30+ years ago . I measured the girth at 41 inches . My SIL said if she hadn't seen me field dress it , she would have thought it was carrying twins . I stopped at the DEC office in Avon . Went into the office and asked on officer to check the deer . He asked if something was wrong and I told him the measurement . He rolled his eyes and put the paper down . He came out and checked my doe . He measured 42inch girth . It was the biggest deer I ever shot . 

I had never heard of checking a deer’s chest girth until g-man posted that PA chart back in 2016.  That is a hell of a doe and that measurement falls very close to the two largest bucks that I have checked since then.  

I am sorry that I never got a chance to check the girth of that doe that I killed up in the Dack’s last year.  She was big but lean, and I got very little meat back from the butcher.

I was a little pissed about that, until the Friday after Thanksgiving, but now it don’t bother me much, mostly because of large quantity of meat that the Good Lord blessed me with, starting then.

Had I got a chest girth measurement of that doe, I could have got a rough estimate of how much meat I should have gotten back.  It was so warm at the time, that my biggest concern was getting her into a cooler.  

I am not sure how many deer I have killed, maybe a hundred, but if I thought about it real hard, I could probably remember something about every one.  All were meaningful to me. I could give two shits about what anyone else thinks of any of them.  

They were all legally taken, to the best of my knowledge, when I pulled the trigger or released the arrow.  

All we can do for those folks who feel the need to shame others harvests, is pray for them.  Hopefully they get their acts together, before it is too late.  

Edited by wolc123

Belo hit on some good points. I copied that post here where it was on the right topic.  My first Adirondack deer was an early ML week doe and was definitely one of, if not my own personal favorite “trophy”.  This one from last year, was also right up there.  It took me 3 years and about 36 hunts to finally bring her down.  

Some folks make a big deal about how challenging it is to kill “mature” bucks, but mature does can be even more challenging.  A rut crazed buck of any age is the dumbest animal in the woods and can easily be taken by a hunter of any skill level.  No such “free ride” with a mature doe.  

94932066-023B-4CAE-884E-F1C28289DB51.thumb.jpeg.b1d9c84b7625d4286e738b39c54c8fee.jpeg
7E9C2837-B46B-46EC-A931-52496FBC52E8.thumb.jpeg.a2291f38261170db1a8048842a9d59c1.jpeg

I’m not so sure a rut crazed buck is that dumb and that any hunter can just get one, but I get your point.

Totally agree on nanny does too.

Probably anything that the hunter finds particularly meaningful.  I would say maybe 5 of the 50 or so deer I killed over the last 10 years are trophy’s to me.  Some because of the size of antlers, some because of the manner I killed em, some because I figured out exactly when and where to kill em.  But no I don’t think every deer is a trophy although I appreciate the success.   I also think that a deer can rise to trophy status for a hunter for reasons beyond antler inches. 

• Like 3

I'm more impressed seeing someone try to shoot a deer off state land then anything else like in a place like the Adirondacks , then a deer shot off a corn field some where that being said anything with 8 points and up  is nice , is a trophy to me but a 4 point  or doe off state land is a trophy to me also in my mind . Then again the longer it takes you to kill a deer the more that deer any deer becomes a trophy to you. Like what others  have said its it's subjective.

I’ve killed around 100 deer and don’t feel like I’ve killed a trophy yet. I have some memories I cherish more than others, some I worked harder for etc. but don’t feel like I’ve ever killed a trophy buck. To me a doe Isn’t a trophy but everyone is different. I can honestly say that when I kill my trophy while tracking I’ll probably quit deer hunting.