What makes a trophy ?

wolc123

4 hours ago, Chef said:

So what is more of a trophy…. From the window of a moving car with a automatic weapon……. Over a corn pile that’s outside the bedroom window.. or in the field with a spotlight while drinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a field with a spot light while drinking no doubt. 

1. its hard to mask the sound of a bush light can being opened 

2. the Irish whisper is real and it's a problem

3. When a lone deer is in the field it's tough to remember to shoot the one in the middle

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In a field with a spot light while drinking no doubt. 
1. its hard to mask the sound of a bush light can being opened 
2. the Irish whisper is real and it's a problem
3. When a lone deer is in the field it's tough to remember to shoot the one in the middle

Agreed… Id say the more you have drunken the bigger the trophy… if you have already has to boot snd rally it gets mounted

2 hours ago, WNYTRPR said:

Quick question .Is a trophy Deer equivalent to a trophy Wife ?Just want to know if I’ve been lucky enough to have gotten both LOL .

we'd need some pics to evaluate. Obviously this is a family site and blah, blah, blah but of course if you'd like higher marks then you know how to get em ;) haha

• Haha 1

I’m honestly jealous of the guys that can still get excited about shooting a doe or small buck. I don’t think my heart beat goes up at all shooting a doe, I get the same excitement out of butchering a cow!

Do you think it’d because you don’t eat venison so there is just no Purpose for you to shoot one

• Like 2

Do you think it’d because you don’t eat venison so there is just no Purpose for you to shoot one

There is a purpose, deer management and food for family and friends is why I shoot them. Maybe if I ate more I venison I would get more excited but I doubt it.

To me there is just little to no challenge in shooting them therefor little to no enjoyment.

• Like 1

There is a purpose, deer management and food for family and friends is why I shoot them. Maybe if I ate more I venison I would get more excited but I doubt it.

To me there is just little to no challenge in shooting them therefor little to no enjoyment.

That wasn’t meant as a insult it was a serious question…

I would also beg to differ. I would say matured old matriarch does are some of the hardest deer to kill.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chef said:

That wasn’t meant as a insult it was a serious question…

I would also beg to differ. I would say matured old matriarch does are some of the hardest deer to kill.

I had an old doe come up over a hill once and put herself between me and the other 2. She stood there staring at me snorting and stomping while the other 2 fled. I said you're a good mama, and let her go.

One of the cooler encounters I had while hunting.  Been over 10 years and still remember that one.

• Like 2

Talking  about old does. I shot one opening morning of firearms one year. I had posted myself on what I thought might be an overlooked escape route. Sure enough when the shooting started she came barreling over the hill right to me. I never did weight her but she was huge. 

How many times had she escaped on that same rt?. It was one of the times that I actually wished I could have put her back . You know, like a bass. She had lived a  long life for a deer. Its part of makes hunting different, its permanent .

I appreciated her as much or more than many of the nice bucks I have gotten over the years.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m honestly jealous of the guys that can still get excited about shooting a doe or small buck. I don’t think my heart beat goes up at all shooting a doe, I get the same excitement out of butchering a cow!

My heart always gets going a little if I'm about to pull the trigger. Especially if we're doing a little cat and mouse prior to the shot with me wondering if she will turn or go where I need to. But the heart thumping big buck adrenaline isn't there no.

I'm with chef a little and this isn't meant to call you out, but if you're shooting a doe with no intentions of eating it, that's probably why. I get excited for a doe because I know it's more food. There's little other reason to shoot one.

16 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Maybe you can trade for pictures of your deer. Lol

I guess I walked into that one huh? 

15 hours ago, Chef said:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ncountry said:

Talking  about old does. I shot one opening morning of firearms one year. I had posted myself on what I thought might be an overlooked escape route. Sure enough when the shooting started she came barreling over the hill right to me. I never did weight her but she was huge. 

How many times had she escaped on that same rt?. It was one of the times that I actually wished I could have put her back . You know, like a bass. She had lived a  long life for a deer. Its part of makes hunting different, its permanent .

I appreciated her as much or more than many of the nice bucks I have gotten over the years.

I think you can appreciate a mature deer without wanting to throw em back. Heck, when all the adrenaline wears off and the dust has settled I've looked down at some of the bigger bucks I shot and had a twinkle of sadness. They're amazing creatures and we respect the hell out of them, especially those that get through 3 or so hunting seasons and dodge countless cars and evade predators and survive the harsh winters. Feeling bad is just a sign of respect.

But don't feel bad for those nanny does. They rule the woods and will absolutely ruin a shot at a good buck. Ask me and most how they know haha.

• Like 4

The animal that provides me with a hunt that sticks out above others in my mind are what I consider a trophy. Does not have to be some big rack or even a Deer as most of my best memories hunting are from small game hunts by far.

A couple of Squirrels I took with a muzzleloading 32 cal Crockett Squirrel rifle are trophies to me.

A young Coonhound I raised and trained treeing it's first Coon alone, that Coon is a trophy to me.

A 6 point buck I dogged in snow for five hours before killing him is a trophy to me even though his rack is far from the best I have taken.

A fox I squeaked across a field by sucking on the back of my hand using the then new 17 HMR that was a trophy to me.

The longest shot I ever made on a varmint (Crow) that was trophy to me.

And so on and so forth, Memories that remain vivid.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 5

On 1/31/2022 at 11:52 AM, WNYTRPR said:

Quick question .Is a trophy Deer equivalent to a trophy Wife ?Just want to know if I’ve been lucky enough to have gotten both LOL .

One doesn’t want a trophy wife, for the simple reason that everyone wants a trophy , aka your wife . It’s much better to do as I and be the trophy husband .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Did you make it on the Villages calendar this year?

There’s like 200k people there , if it was a 24 month calendar I’d have made the cut . I’m a solid 9 there for sure .

when we stop there on the way back I’ll lobby  for a spot , even if I have to sleep With the female judges .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nomad said:

There’s like 200k people there , if it was a 24 month calendar I’d have made the cut . I’m a solid 9 there for sure .

when we stop there on the way back I’ll lobby  for a spot , even if I have to sleep With the female judges .

I was on the cover of the Yellowjackets Football program a few times in the early 90s.   Its been all downhill from there!  Good luck with the calendar!

50 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I was on the cover of the Yellowjackets Football program a few times in the early 90s.   Its been all downhill from there!  Good luck with the calendar!

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

You should both make the HNY calendar this year though.    They sell them with the T-shirts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1