What makes a trophy ?

wolc123

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

I guess for me it's  the game that I memorialize.  Whether by a mount or a  photo, I've taken many I don't take photos of.. so to me those weren't trophy.  

Trophy are something to remind you of an achivement or accomplishment. 

Exactly!!!!  Locate and hunt certain mature deer and harvest them. That’s an achievement. 

24 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I get excited, and stand proud of all of my kills. I wouldn't take an animal if I didn't respect it as a trophy. It gives its life for you.

Growing up on a farm many animal were simple looked as a source of meat. It's not hard to get a deer  many times it's simply getting meat for the freezer.  Almost the same as walking out to the chicken coop and loping a head or two off.. I personally can't see it as a trophy. 

But it's in how you were raised and available time and area to hunt.  Probably the reason I enjoy others getting game.. after 38 years it's almost become routine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Growing up on a farm many animal were simple looked as a source of meat. It's not hard to get a deer  many times it's simply getting meat for the freezer.  Almost the same as walking out to the chicken coop and loping a head or two off.. I personally can't see it as a trophy. 

But it's in how you were raised and available time and area to hunt.  Probably the reason I enjoy others getting game.. after 38 years it's almost become routine.

It's routine, I cherish them all.

29 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Or shoot what you’re proud of and not wait for FSW to tell you ya done good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do whatever gets your jollies. FSW and a few others that have killed piles an piles of deer does just what he wrote! Makes sure the kill is an achievement. Not real tough to just shoot any deer that walks on by in this world. Now if your 4 pointers are your achievement well then I guess you enjoy that accomplishment. 

47 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Some on here find it hard to believe that for some of us killing any deer does not take a heck of a lot of skill or is much of an achievement. We get out of it what we put into it. 

• Like 1

Some on here find it hard to believe that for some of us killing any deer does not take a heck of a lot of skill or is much of an achievement. We get out of it what we put into it. 

And some of us on here don’t understand that not all hunters have endless parades of deer or countless hours to hunt or desire to wrap their hands around bone.
Like you said, whatever floats your boat.

• Like 2

You can do whatever gets your jollies. FSW and a few others that have killed piles an piles of deer does just what he wrote! Makes sure the kill is an achievement. Not real tough to just shoot any deer that walks on by in this world. Now if your 4 pointers are your achievement well then I guess you enjoy that accomplishment. 

Did you refer to yourself in the 3rd person or is Four Seasons and FSW different people? Is your pronoun “they”?
Not that there’s anything wrong with that

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

And some of us on here don’t understand that not all hunters have endless parades of deer or countless hours to hunt or desire to wrap their hands around bone.
Like you said, whatever floats your boat.

That’s on you. Some of us take our hunting a little more seriously then others. We need a challenge to go along with all the meat that comes with our achievements. 

I do have endless amounts of game and  2500 acres to hunt, and killed a couple of ny "dandies" imo.

I was raised by guys with 1 buck tag and occasionally 4 person party tags. I now can legally kill almost 200 deer a year. We eat or share every deer we kill. I keep the pelts, eat the organs and most edible parts. I've probably killed close to 100 deer, even though my father probably killed less than 20. All deer were trophies growing up, they were treated that way and i still do.

I can say some of my kills were more exciting and felt more rewarding but they are all trophies to me. As well as the small game and even sheds. Everyone is allowed thier own experience and feelings I thought this post was about that exact topic.

Some of these responses smell a little judgey. Just saying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am getting to the age where I figure I deserve a trophy for just climbing that "killer hill" behind the house. I'm not looking for the biggest deer in the valley anymore. I don't have to prove anything to myself or anyone else other than the fact that I still can get out there and hunt.

• Like 5