Smith and Wesson perfection

My local enabler waved this beautiful piece of art in front of my face the other day. Its a S&W 29-3 .44 magnum  in nickel. This stunning revolver sports a long 8 3/8 inch barrel. Perfect for those long shots on the farm at steel targets. I paid a very very good price for the gun as it needed a little tlc. After many many glasses of whiskey and an entire t shirt i got a decent polish it the gun using mothers mag polish. Hard to beat a classic smith with the target hammer, trigger and grip package. (smith and wesson calls them stocks not grips) These quality pieces are getting increasingly harder to acquire. My apologies for the crappy pictures, ill also include a pic of my blued 29-2 for comparison/ your enjoyment. 

D035C052-FBA2-41A8-B358-AE37A7E5AF97.jpeg

5D19E492-A5C7-41C9-A3E4-AB3E82FDCB71.jpeg

E3501943-9FA0-4B24-8897-FD0C75D546E4.jpeg

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

My local enabler waved this beautiful piece of art in front of my face the other day. Its a S&W 29-3 .44 magnum. This stunning revolver sports a long 8 3/8 inch barrel. Perfect for those long shots on the farm at steel targets. I paid a very very good price for the gun as it needed a little tlc. After many many glasses of whiskey and an entire t shirt i got a decent polish it the gun using mothers mag polish. Hard to beat a classic smith with the target hammer, trigger and grip package. (smith and wesson calls them stocks not grips) These quality pieces are getting increasingly harder to acquire. My apologies for the crappy pictures, ill also include a pic of my blued 29-2 for comparison/ your enjoyment. 

Dirty Harry ?

2 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

A buddy has a 629 and it's the only 44mag I ever shot.  Hopefully the last..... :)

That's a nice looking gun, how old is it?

I still have to run the numbers but im thinking mid 80’s. The blued 29-2 is an early 70’s. With a long barrel shooting full house magnums is actually quite manageable. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

I never had a model 29, but I have an early seventies production model 28 (.357) which uses the same frame. Wonderful firearm. It was dads only pistol. Honestly...despite the great action, I prefer a single action such as Rugers Blackhawk. It is just a much more natural pointing handgun...and lets face it, double action revolvers are almost never shot double action.

On 1/30/2022 at 9:17 PM, SpacemanSpiff said:

My local enabler waved this beautiful piece of art in front of my face the other day. Its a S&W 29-3 .44 magnum  in nickel. This stunning revolver sports a long 8 3/8 inch barrel. Perfect for those long shots on the farm at steel targets. I paid a very very good price for the gun as it needed a little tlc. After many many glasses of whiskey and an entire t shirt i got a decent polish it the gun using mothers mag polish. Hard to beat a classic smith with the target hammer, trigger and grip package. (smith and wesson calls them stocks not grips) These quality pieces are getting increasingly harder to acquire. My apologies for the crappy pictures, ill also include a pic of my blued 29-2 for comparison/ your enjoyment. 

Dont limit it to steel... make a fine deer gun .

2 hours ago, Daveboone said:

I never had a model 29, but I have an early seventies production model 28 (.357) which uses the same frame. Wonderful firearm. It was dads only pistol. Honestly...despite the great action, I prefer a single action such as Rugers Blackhawk. It is just a much more natural pointing handgun...and lets face it, double action revolvers are almost never shot double action.

He had a model 27 and 28 there for sale also. I have 3 k frame .357 mags but no n frames. I think i need to change that. They stand up a little better with hot magnum ammunition. 

I modified mine slightly for deer hunting before they allowed rifle.  (But I retained everything to return to original form) It was a much more pleasant gun to still hunt with than carrying the 870.  Do you fell Lucky, Buck?   

I bought it for $200 off a guy that shot it once and punched himself in the face with it.   Not a good starting pistol.  Dirty Harry sold a lot of Model 29's to people that had no clue

DSCN0677.thumb.JPG.4eb0b6cf921a0ee36d7d95a76093cb0b.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I clocked myself shooting a doe with my BIL  colt anaconda. Killed the doe but I never seen it happen . I had never shot a 44 mag before . Didn't know how to even hold the damn thing . Rung my bell good .  Many many moons ago .

Had a gun day a few years ago.   3 troopers a Rochester cop and a county sheriff.  Had to show them how to hold the gun and correct them from trying to cup around the cylinder . One of the younger guys refused to listen and tried to shoot like he was taught in the academy. They were taught how to shoot glocks . Full square on with flexed elbows . Let's just say he didn't want to play with the big boy guns after the first shot .

• Like 2