Who prefers to hunt alone?

hueyjazz

I've always hunted by myself.  I like the solitude of the woods and hunting is almost church for me.  I do a lot of thinking and reflection in my various stands.  I lost my father and brother in November.  And then a very close friend in December, Christmas day in fact.

Hunting season always brings back memories of them all.  I carry a long range walkie talkie for safety but that's as close as I get with another peer during a hunt.  A drive is not in my playbook.  I'm a big fan of one shot but a lot of the hunt has nothing to do with deer.   I doubt I'm the only one that feels this way

• Like 12

It has always been my alone time. The peace and solace are bonus I get. 
Lately though I have a new hunting partner who tags along every where i go and I enjoy my 9yr old daughters companion ship more than the hunt. 
I understand the chances go down of getting a deer, but kids grow up fast and I want to enjoy every moment.

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 3

Short of taking a stand, hunting alone is becoming less enjoyable as I age.

I hunted many hours solo this season since my hunting partner was sick. Alot of that time in Ohio. I came very close to taking the largest buck we knew of that we could hunt, the weekend after Thanksgiving. I was somewhat relieved that the shot didn't present itself because it would have been pretty subdued to have taken the largest buck of my life and literally nobody to high five. I am sure I would have been excited but it just would have been...different, at least for me.

I think alot of it likely has to do with how much time I am putting into my career and doing my best to carve out time with family and friends. Being solo in the free time I have now just doesn't seem like a good time spend for me.

I am sure some of it may change as I get older and hit the downside of my career, but for now, I enjoy hunting with my hunting partner and friend.

• Like 1

I hunt alone, other than our guys weekend at camp. I enjoy those few days but not really the hunting. I like to do my thing my way and having someone else along seems to always get in the way. Sometimes it would be nice to have someone help drag but that’s about it.

Usually nobody has a clue where I am other than that I stayed at my camp, for safety I bought an inreach although I have very little faith in it working when I need it to.

• Like 3

This^^^^^

The guys in my club/camp come and hunt the weekends. When they leave, I have the whole mountain to myself. I like their company and comradery...cooking, playing cards, retelling old stories over a few beers and the like. But, for four weeks, I cherish my alone time and the solitude of stillhunting the hill by myself.

When I have the opportunity to have friends up to the camp, I welcome it as we dont have a chance to get together very often. Aside from that, its a toss up. When hunting alone I dont have to worry about where anyone else is or my habits. I can be greedy about my favorite spots without feeling guilty about it. But if I had my druthers, I would have company.

I pretty much stopped inviting my local friends for out of state hunts. Always all gun ho to go then they find a reason not follow though. The wife is pissed, the kids have basketball, work won’t give me time off, money is tight. In short all bullshit. If you want to find a reason not to do something you always will.

I am more then content to go hunt alone.

• Like 3

I don't think I would want to give up either. I love hunting alone and I do a lot of that as I have more time to hunt than anybody I hunt with. I am at home in the woods and where I find myself the happiest. My kids are both adults now. My daughter hunted with me once last year when she was home from USC and my son about 5-6 times. I would give up every one of my solo trips to hunt with them as sharing their experience is way more rewarding than any of my own. I also love hunting with my brother, brother in law and nephew as we work together to figure out spots, stands and tactics. I'm greedy and will continue to do both lol. 

• Like 3

Both have their allure for me. I like sharing in my friends’ successes (and even some failures!) especially when I can’t be in the woods when they are. I do find myself hunting different (not sure if that’s good or bad)when I know someone else is in the same woods as me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I often think of these celebrity hunters that always have a person with a camera over their shoulder, Id hate that for the most part. I would bet that Tiffany Lakosky has never hunted alone in her entire life

Or even picked the stand she hunts from. I'm sure taylor Drury is in the same boat . Hair and make up on point ,which stand should I go to ?

I hunt alone probably 90% of the time. Mostly during  bow season. I enjoy having someone else in a stand not far away but scheduling is a pain. I go when I vcan and where I want,my time in the woods is precious to me. By the time gun season is close to the end I am looking forward to some drives with some friends.

52 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I often think of these celebrity hunters that always have a person with a camera over their shoulder, Id hate that for the most part. I would bet that Tiffany Lakosky has never hunted alone in her entire life

I think she has self-filmed some of her hunts, but regardless. There will always be the celebrity hunter component, but just like guys, some girls are documented and successful hunters that grew into the celebrity space after that.

38 minutes ago, phade said:

I think she has self-filmed some of her hunts, but regardless. There will always be the celebrity hunter component, but just like guys, some girls are documented and successful hunters that grew into the celebrity space after that.

Most are some tool saying to his wife "put some makeup on and learn to shoot a bow, we are going to be famous". Check out Kaitlyn Maus, shes a badass

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Most are some tool saying to his wife "put some makeup on and learn to shoot a bow, we are going to be famous". Check out Kaitlyn Maus, shes a badass

Sort of like Hannah Barron who is most known for noodling.

• Like 1