Who prefers to hunt alone?

hueyjazz

I shot one of my big bucks this year while alone at camp bowhunting. It was pretty cool and everything came together. My neighbor isn't too far away so I did ask him to help me hang it. To me there is nothing like having family and close friends at camp hunting along with you. I will be moving to camp this September and I know I will miss the gang after all the opening week festivities are over with. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'd love to someday have the opportunity to sit in a double ladder stand nestled in between 2 forum members. @Chef on my left and @moog5050 on my right. Me in the middle warm & toasty.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

No offense to anyone (myself included) but that would require a 5 person ladder stand I think.

Might wanna hold on to that sectional for that Biz. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hunt mostly by myself during the week but on weekends my son will join me as that’s when he can go.  I enjoy both but it’s better with him.  Have a few other friends who I occasionally hunt and fish with and some clients from time to time too.  Hiking with weapons is a great way to create memories w friends family or by yourself

• Like 1

Small game or fishing, I like to have friends or family along, but deer hunting, I prefer being alone.   I enjoyed deer drives with friends or family, when I was younger, up to the day when I had my hair parted by an errant 12 gauge slug.  

Since that day, alone and about 7 ft up on flatland is my second favorite place to be hunting deer.  My favorite, is on the ground and in the mountains, far from the nearest other hunter.  

I like to have friends and family nearby, for help with carcass recovery when I am not at home, where my own loader tractor is always ready to go.  My dad and father in law really get into it, with their own atv’s and tractors, and I will miss them a lot when they can’t help  out with that anymore.  

I definitely agree with the op’s church comment, and never do I feel closer to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, than when I am alone and deer hunting.  He gets all of the credit for my harvests. 

I enjoy all aspects of deer hunting. I only hunt with a couple people.  I do enjoy still hunting my way to someone sitting, but 95% of my hunting is alone. Most the land I have access to I have permission,  not myself and whoever I wanna bring.  Quickest way to lose permission is bring a buddy without land owners consent. 

During bow season I spend quite a bit of my hunting alone because that is what I like to do. But, I also mentor a youngster and a woman which I enjoy also. I would prefer to have a partner when I am hunting alone just to be able to cover another area, and stay in touch by radio. Unfortunately, I just don't have anyone to partner with on big bucks anymore due to deaths, work, family, and life in general.

For rifle season, I don't think I have sat alone more than a day or two the last five years. For me, Rifle season is like the old days with people hunting together, eating high on the hog, cards, booze etc. Hunting and fishing have always been a lot about having fun with friends and forgetting about work, bills, and any other of life's problems. I help a lot of youngsters and women get deer every year just because I am good at finding the deer, or knowing where they will be. 

I can tell you, I drag way too many deer out of the woods every year, but I enjoy every single one of them because of how happy the hunters are that they got a deer. I honestly am not sure the last time I shot a buck with a rifle. I just shoot a doe or two on the one farm I hunt to fill a d map or two. I leave the bucks to my friends because they mean a lot more to them.

Hunt alone  now. Everyone i know has moved away or stopped  hunting. Makes it difficult when you shoot one 3 miles from the car, i pass alot of nice bucks  because of that. Has to be a special deer for me to  put that much effort into getting it back to the car.  Lol

• Like 1

Hunt alone on my own 52 acres.
I did meet a good guy to help track deer. Wouldn’t mind having others hunting on my property, just don’t have many hunting buddies.

Anyway, solo hunting - Opportunity to reflect and be grateful for owning my own land.

My favorite hunt this year was the one time my son was back from college & we hunted together like when he was a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Most are some tool saying to his wife "put some makeup on and learn to shoot a bow, we are going to be famous". Check out Kaitlyn Maus, shes a badass

April Vokey has been on meateater a few times as an angler she got all sorts of backlash because she's not bad on the eyes but had makeup on when fishing. She explained that she would often fish after she got done at her job bartending.

Hunting I can understand, but I thought it was kind of funny some dudes had issue with her fishing with makeup on. I don't know about most of you guys here but my wife doesn't leave the house without makeup. I'm not talking dressed to the 9's or all dolled up but the basic stuff. So if a woman is practice shooting or whatever I think it'd be more abnormal not to have makeup on. If it's hot in the summer and she's wearing a low cut tanktop that is normal too. If we're honest, they know what they're doing but some of the shaming doesn't even make sense, like what do you want them to change their routine to appease some of the crotchety old farts out there?

It's really 2 seasons for me.  Bow hunts are 100% solo operations, that's my alone time.  My dad is sometimes at the cabin puttering around but he doesn't bow hunt.  He's usually around for recovery and tracking which is fun for him and satisfying for me.

Gun season there's usually somebody else there, and I spend less time in the woods.  It's more about enjoying the years I have left with my dad and of late my brother is getting back into it.

Both are very satisfying in different ways.

• Like 3

The older I get, the more I enjoy hunting with others. Group texts with young hunters, and my lifelong hunting partner are great!! I still do hunt alone at times, and honestly, I really do enjoy the solitude. But help is always just a text away. I really needed the help last season, getting my buck out and hung up. And excepted the good natured ball busting and jokes at my expense, as something I would do if the situation were reversed! A lot of laughs, high fives, and smiles were shared. That is the part of hunting that has always appealed to me most. Sharing with friends and family.

• Like 4

During the hunt itself or even setting up a stand I've always preferred going alone. Even with that I don't think it would be the same without friends or family to share it with. If we have a cell signal its fun to text back and forth as things happen..I'm lucky and have a core group of friends. We will do 2-3 weeks of hunting trips every year  together and I wouldn't trade that for any deer.

When not on vacation we will usually go our own ways. We each have our own properties, occasionally driving together to  public land that we may hunt .

It doesn't matter if I'm 30 miles away in the ADKs and I shoot a deer miles in across a swamp,a creek, a mountain, and a mile of berry briars they will be there to help. 

Even if it is 1:30 am when we get out. lol

Often this will end up being  the story told and the better memory of the hunt many years later. 

They always say they aren't going to answer my calls during hunting season , but they always do.. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

April Vokey has been on meateater a few times as an angler she got all sorts of backlash because she's not bad on the eyes but had makeup on when fishing. She explained that she would often fish after she got done at her job bartending.

Hunting I can understand, but I thought it was kind of funny some dudes had issue with her fishing with makeup on. I don't know about most of you guys here but my wife doesn't leave the house without makeup. I'm not talking dressed to the 9's or all dolled up but the basic stuff. So if a woman is practice shooting or whatever I think it'd be more abnormal not to have makeup on. If it's hot in the summer and she's wearing a low cut tanktop that is normal too. If we're honest, they know what they're doing but some of the shaming doesn't even make sense, like what do you want them to change their routine to appease some of the crotchety old farts out there?

Im all for the women out there hunting and fishing because they love it, and good for them if they can monetize it. I just think to Jeremys point a lot of them are dolled up and put in a stand for the brand, and do nothing more than pull the trigger

• Like 1

The way luck plays out or as i call it luck.. When i hunt solo i typically need a hand from someone some how someway.. I used to want to hunt solo, cause Id have more opportunity..  and then i lost my dad, who was my " hunting buddy"..  I do enjoy a solo hunt now adays but they typically become lazy relax and just breathe it all in type of hunts.. 

But i typically dont hunt unless i can bring someone else out.. My outlook on hunting has changed a ton in the last few years.. Kinda Sad, but life changes ya sometimes  

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I enjoy hunting with my wife as often as she can get out. Other then that, I just want to be left alone. Hunting mainly public land being alone isn't always in the cards.

If i ever took my wife hunting i'd give it 5 minutes before I got bored and wanted to fool around.

• Like 1

I think big game is very solo for me. It's a direct match of wit between me and the deer. Any success I have is my reward, in turn if I come up empty handed its on me. My lease does deer drives, I participate much less frequently as time goes on.

Chasing turk birds is a hunt that I can totally enjoy solo but taking my wife and kids has been awesome the last few years. On a day when the birds are hot and you have them located it can be a real treat. Kids behind us in a pop-up watching and listening to it all while I'm trying to get my wife a bird has been one of the most satisfying experiences for me in the woods.

Small game is great both ways, can use eachother to move the game around. I like tracking and keeping an eye out on your for the opportunity to miss a rabbit or grouse ! Lol. Small game with dogs can be amazing also.

One thing I seldom do solo is water foul hunt. Putting out geese dekes in a field of mud and corn stubble can be labor intensive, laying in a blind alone is more like nap time then fun time, i have done it prefer talking crap to a buddy laying next to me. Cold weather and setting up the  spread over water is safer and more enjoyable with 2 people or more. Also eating snacks in a blind with friends and family is one of my favorite times.