Adirondack Deer Hunting help

hueyjazz

My daughter and SIL bought an old farmhouse with horse pasture in Greenfield, NY by Saratoga.  Now when I said old that also means needs repairs and recently retired father who multiple trades experience, buys materials and parts and gets paid in beer gets invited to visit a lot.  Well, come to think of it I bought the beer last time!!

I started SIL on hunting last year.  I successfully mentored him into a nice doe with the 870 with sabot on my 30 acres in western NY.  He now is living in the Adirondack region, 5J. 

For Christmas I gave him a Mauser M48 8mm with the slight modification of a ghost ring site.  Just so happen I own the identical setup so I'm very confident with it and think it a cool experience to share.  My master plan is to hunt with him and help for his first buck.  But I must admit, I had a near miss (Well, near hit) experience while hunting in Catskills by a green hunter in the woods doing it solo.  Not to offend anyone but you just don't forget the sound of a slug passing you and the restraint it takes not to beat the crap out of from where in came.

I don't hunt populated State land.  Are there close regions worth checking out that aren't a crowd early opening there?  I see plenty of DMU's.  I would like to pick an area and do some scouting and we can do some traveling, but I'd like to keep it under an hour and the sides of mountain.  My days of dragging over the top are done.

I would recommend getting out during the early NT muzzleloading season. Woods are pretty thin then. That aside, the public lands I frequented in the eighties and nineties are empty now. Dog gone few hunters any more. This is primarily the game management areas of Oswego and Jefferson County. Likely, other areas are similar. The closer to cities of course, the more they are used. Nothing wrong with inquiring with the State Forest Rangers and DEC officers for recommendations of lightly used land