Who Studies Lepidopterology?

Lawdwaz

At my work we have a mowed alfalfa field next door.  I mean just 10’ away….

In the fall we started to see an unreal amount of these little caterpillars coming across the blacktop driveway headed for our building.   You couldn’t hardly walk to the back of the building without stepping on them.  So as it got colder they seemed to disappear then a couple weeks ago the started coming out of the snow banks, heading for the building again!  Some days in the high teens you’d see them.  

I don’t know what they are but snapped a couple pics last week and today.  

They have no problem crawling around in the sow our well below freezing temperatures.  Cool little bugs.

970E4679-258F-4B32-AC1F-CDC96FF28DA4.png

CE10F7AD-95A6-4D6D-A2C8-665A79D96AFC.png

Edited by Lawdwaz

My advanced training was in Entomology but… I concentrated in termite taxonomy, turf and ornamental insects and household critters. 

Note… although there are several species of “stinging” caterpillars, these do not appear to have urticating spines. Handling may invoke dermatitis in some individuals. 

14 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

At my work we have a mowed alfalfa field next door.  I mean just 10’ away….

In the fall we started to see an unreal amount of these little caterpillars coming across the blacktop driveway headed for our building.   You couldn’t hardly walk to the back of the building without stepping on them.  So as it got colder they seemed to disappear then a couple weeks ago the started coming out of the snow banks, heading for the building again!  Some days in the high teens you’d see them.  

I don’t know what they are but snapped a couple pics last week and today.  

They have no problem crawling around in the sow our well below freezing temperatures.  Cool little bugs.

970E4679-258F-4B32-AC1F-CDC96FF28DA4.png

CE10F7AD-95A6-4D6D-A2C8-665A79D96AFC.png