Trespassing and Camera Stealing Stories and Solutions

Five Seasons

This past fall was the first time I've had someone steal a trail camera. Admittedly it was not cable locked, I had run 8 cameras for a year with no issues the season prior. I've caught trespassers in the offseason and plan to redo some posted signs this year. It still irks me to this day, not the loss of the several year old camera and the pictures it held, but the action itself. 

Curious to hear your stories and what approaches you took to securing your land.

Don't bother securing cameras has been my experience. Had more stuff stolen that was locked than unlocked. Just note it on the expense side of hunting that losses will occur.

Relative to the action, posting, cell cameras, and being very firm when reasonability is not prudent. Proactively reaching out to LE and neighbors is also good to establish relationship. Trespassing might be the lynchpin to the worst part of hunting ethics and other people.

• Like 1

Not much you can do in this lousy state we live in.  I've had them stolen as well.  The idiots walked by and stole one camera, then walked by a second one and didn't see it (got their pictures taken), then stole the 3rd one on that tree line they walked by.  I have clear pictures of all 3 of them.  Gave them to the local Sheriffs office.  Filled out a police report.  I even did half his job and tracked down the guys who did it.......and nothing happened.  They didn't admit to taking them and they were not caught in the act.  Shit bags will be shit bags and this sport has more than our fair share.  Until NY starts caring about criminal trespassing, there is no reason for people to stop wandering and stealing.

Edited by beachpeaz
  • Sad 2

49 minutes ago, Belo said:

This past fall was the first time I've had someone steal a trail camera. Admittedly it was not cable locked, I had run 8 cameras for a year with no issues the season prior. I've caught trespassers in the offseason and plan to redo some posted signs this year. It still irks me to this day, not the loss of the several year old camera and the pictures it held, but the action itself. 

Curious to hear your stories and what approaches you took to securing your land.

I only put cameras out in 2 of the 3 areas I hunt.  Those areas are posted and  I am local to them and this time of year am off from work so I am out regularly in the woods. I know what boot tracks should and shouldn’t be there. I’ll investigate if I see some that shouldn’t be there.
I have permission to hunt  a couple hundred acres in the finger lakes. I do not put any cameras out there as there are numerous other hunters out there besides my myself and my family. Not knowing all of them I stopped putting cameras out there. Not because the cameras were stolen but the SD cards would come up missing. A shame we have to worry about this from people who don’t know how to keep their hands off stuff that doesn’t belong to them!!

Our property is posted beyond posted with signs and yellow paint.  You can't cross onto our land without seeing it unless your Stevie Wonder.. I had one cam tipped upside down and sd card removed once . Knock on wood that was 5 years ago and nothing since. 

• Like 1

Just chitty people.. Had a guy steal my favorite cam 2 years ago. Tresspassed into our property a couple hundred yards and stole it, dont have proof but 99% sure who did it.. my buddy moved a cell cam to try and watch him this fall for tresspassing, he found it even as camouflaged in as the camera was.. he reached around and snapped the antenna off the camera from the back side.. all these cameras are were legally placed. I found out the guy is a business owner with a "good reputation" on google... well everywhere his business was located online that i could find, I left a horrible review of how a business owner could treat people so poorly no ethics, no morals, no self control, and much more.. and made sure my name was posted on each one.. Again without having proof, i didnt want to go to the door demanding.. and trying not to stoop to his level, but im very close to retunring the deed 

Ive been very lucky, just one stand stolen in 25 years of hunting. And I get plenty of pics of interlopers. I hunt some really good local private thats not posted and there are lots of locals that also hunt it, the landowner doesnt do much about it and Im not about to "rock the boat". But if one thing of ours goes missing I'm taking every stand and camera on the place and holding it hostage until it comes back

• Like 1

I love the comments about property being posted.....

As if someone willing to steal expensive private property cares about crossing a posted sign.  Posted signs do literally nothing in NYS.  Along with my cams, I've reported many, many people who have trespassed and been caught.  90% of the time they get away with it.  10% of the time the worse possible outcome is a $50 appearance ticket in court?

Now, put that in perspective if you are a shitbag trespasser.  The land you are wandering on to is worth thousands of dollars per year (lease or purchase).  So, you can pay $2,000 a year to have it yours, or get caught 1 out of 10 times and pay $50.......

Again, the issue is with NYS.  They don't care.  They have created and nurtured this culture the honest hardworking people pay for.

• Like 2

Ive had one trailcam stolen ever.  I put it up next to the neighbors pool where his wife sunbathes and that SOB stole it for sure! He still wont talk to me. Whatever

Seriously- Ive had one cheap trail cam stolen ever.  it was on state land 1000 yards from my house.  I put it there just to check for a once in a while spot.  The best part about it was i realized i had left the card with pics on it from one of my hunting spots that had a nice 11 point on it.  I bet that guy still hunts there hoping for a big buck!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I had a trail cam come up missing a few years ago . I spotted it an an adjacent property 2 years later when I was tracking I deer that I shot .

I also recall a couple members on this site giving me static when I talked about me hanging cameras high . I had an 8' ladder cable locked to a tree . I had 3 cameras about 9-10 feet high tipped down to take pictures . All of my cameras in Geneseo , except one are locked . The only problem I see is where some of them lock , the plastic latch can be broke and the camera taken . 

I bought Lock Boxes for my 3 CuddeLink cameras for $100 . Part of the box screws to the tree . I did this to hopefully protect $600 worth of cameras . 

3 hours ago, beachpeaz said:

As if someone willing to steal expensive private property cares about crossing a posted sign.  Posted signs do literally nothing in NYS.  Along with my cams, I've reported many, many people who have trespassed and been caught.  90% of the time they get away with it.  10% of the time the worse possible outcome is a $50 appearance ticket in court?

Now, put that in perspective if you are a shitbag trespasser.  The land you are wandering on to is worth thousands of dollars per year (lease or purchase).  So, you can pay $2,000 a year to have it yours, or get caught 1 out of 10 times and pay $50.......

Again, the issue is with NYS.  They don't care.  They have created and nurtured this culture the honest hardworking people pay for.

There is one thing posted signs are effective at:  attracting poachers.  Most of them interpret “posted” as “good hunting”.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paula said:

Someone from this site had trees cut down just to get the cameras 

That was my cam Paula, along with three that had the cable locks cut all in one theft at my sisters. And to boot the scumbag tore down posted signs too.

post-2675-0-28630400-1401053256.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I post my land so boundry is clear, and no excuse. I haven't had my camera's or stands stolen but have caught trespassers with camera.

I make them famous on Facebook and find who they are, and confront them. Once confronted I have not had the same person back. 

Unfortunately law enforcement does nothing to help with trespassing or personal property being stolen

• Like 3

You might remember I brought up the idea of Bait Cam's ? I had a Trail Cam stolen from my property and after that I installed a couple Bait Cam's (broken Trail Cam's) and believe it or not they have lasted quite some time . I have other Cam's set higher up where a ladder is needed to change Batteries / Chips watching the Bait Cam's ! Last Pic is the stolen remains !

BaitCam1.jpg

BaitCam2.jpg

StolenCam.jpg

• Like 2

Years ago while scouting some state forest I ran into some posted signs that flat out got my attention. The signs said something like "Game Preserve", Posted and Patrolled, daily hunting rates are $300/day. If caught trespassing you will be charged with both trespassing and theft of services, in addition to being sued in small claims for the daily fee and damages. The property line was posted every 50ft or so and each tree with a posted/warning sign had a blaze orange ring painted on it. I wish I had a picture of the signs, they certainly got my attention.

11 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Years ago while scouting some state forest I ran into some posted signs that flat out got my attention. The signs said something like "Game Preserve", Posted and Patrolled, daily hunting rates are $300/day. If caught trespassing you will be charged with both trespassing and theft of services, in addition to being sued in small claims for the daily fee and damages. The property line was posted every 50ft or so and each tree with a posted/warning sign had a blaze orange ring painted on it. I wish I had a picture of the signs, they certainly got my attention.

That is where you find 170" bucks behind every tree. Quick send me the coordinates so I can go look for the sheds now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, beachpeaz said:

That's technically not true. While it's true that you don't need to legally post your property in NYS, posting your property can be the difference between a minor infraction and a more severe penalty (there's some legal wording that escapes me this early). Additionally it's often not the trespassing penalty you're going after, it's the trespassing that is used to search or pursue someone and often for a bigger crime. Think a broken tail light or a rolling stop used to pull someone over who a cop suspects of being drunk or having drugs or whatever. 

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/118436.html

15 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I had a trail cam come up missing a few years ago . I spotted it an an adjacent property 2 years later when I was tracking I deer that I shot .

I also recall a couple members on this site giving me static when I talked about me hanging cameras high . I had an 8' ladder cable locked to a tree . I had 3 cameras about 9-10 feet high tipped down to take pictures . All of my cameras in Geneseo , except one are locked . The only problem I see is where some of them lock , the plastic latch can be broke and the camera taken . 

I bought Lock Boxes for my 3 CuddeLink cameras for $100 . Part of the box screws to the tree . I did this to hopefully protect $600 worth of cameras . 

yeah my dad had that happen to him. Some slimeball just snapped the plastic latch and stole the sd card, which in my opinion is at least better than stealing the whole thing.

I often wonder if the person is really wanting to steal the camera to use or is it to cover their tracks from trespassing? I still run 5 year old brownings that really aren't worth anything so it always confuses me, just take the sd card. This particular spot was a buck trail. Not a lot of deer pics, but the spot where I'd get the best racks and I'm sure the clown has a few of the nicer buck pics now. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

There is one thing posted signs are effective at:  attracting poachers.  Most of them interpret “posted” as “good hunting”.  

I'm not so sure that's true, but I do lend some credence to mans nature to want to go where he knows he shouldn't. The desire to explore the forbidden fruit or our constant belief that the grass is greener. 

There was a funny conversation on a meateater podcast a while back about stand placement. Lets say the average hunting grounds are 60 acres. That's a lot of land and trees to sit in, but if you explore many private lots you'll no doubt find the bulk on the fence lines lol. Must be bigger deer on his side!

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

That's technically not true. While it's true that you don't need to legally post your property in NYS, posting your property can be the difference between a minor infraction and a more severe penalty (there's some legal wording that escapes me this early). Additionally it's often not the trespassing penalty you're going after, it's the trespassing that is used to search or pursue someone and often for a bigger crime. Think a broken tail light or a rolling stop used to pull someone over who a cop suspects of being drunk or having drugs or whatever. 

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/118436.html

We will have to agree to disagree.  I'm not guessing when I wrote that.  I own over 200 acres and lease another 400 in NY.  I have had a least a half dozen people dead to rights trespassing and, as originally mentioned, theft of equipment.  I have caught them on my property.  I have had pictures.  I've followed foot prints, 4-wheeler tracks, etc.  I have had the NY DEC involved (useless) and the local police department (marginally better).  I've pressed charges.  I've filled out police reports on the items stolen.  There is absolutely nothing more than an appearance ticket issued.  And, that is if you are lucky enough to get that far.  Most NY shitbags will get away with their illegal activity.  Those who get caught, get a slap on the wrist and will continue to do it.

Secondly, you most certainly do have to legally post your property.  Every 660' at a minimum between signs including all corners.  That is literally the first question the law enforcement officer will ask you if you file a complaint.  They will go check.  The signs have to be clearly visible and legally close enough together.

Lastly, if you think NY has tough laws, I'd suggest reading into other states who actually take these things seriously.  If you get nailed in UT for example (I do a lot of hunting there), you are hit with a felony charge punishable by up to 10 years in jail and $15,000 fine depending on what you did.  Those people will not make the same mistake twice.....

13 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

You might remember I brought up the idea of Bait Cam's ? I had a Trail Cam stolen from my property and after that I installed a couple Bait Cam's (broken Trail Cam's) and believe it or not they have lasted quite some time . I have other Cam's set higher up where a ladder is needed to change Batteries / Chips watching the Bait Cam's ! Last Pic is the stolen remains !

I keep my old broken or bad cams for just this reason if it comes to that. I wonder though if I should keep old batteries and a cheap SD so they don't realize it's a bait cam and instead it's just a cam where the batteries died. 

yeah i can overthink things... haha

5 minutes ago, beachpeaz said:

We will have to agree to disagree.  I'm not guessing when I wrote that.  I own over 200 acres and lease another 400 in NY.  I have had a least a half dozen people dead to rights trespassing and, as originally mentioned, theft of equipment.  I have caught them on my property.  I have had pictures.  I've followed foot prints, 4-wheeler tracks, etc.  I have had the NY DEC involved (useless) and the local police department (marginally better).  I've pressed charges.  I've filled out police reports on the items stolen.  There is absolutely nothing more than an appearance ticket issued.  And, that is if you are lucky enough to get that far.  Most NY shitbags will get away with their illegal activity.  Those who get caught, get a slap on the wrist and will continue to do it.

Secondly, you most certainly do have to legally post your property.  Every 660' at a minimum between signs including all corners.  That is literally the first question the law enforcement officer will ask you if you file a complaint.  They will go check.  The signs have to be clearly visible and legally close enough together.

Lastly, if you think NY has tough laws, I'd suggest reading into other states who actually take these things seriously.  If you get nailed in UT for example (I do a lot of hunting there), you are hit with a felony charge punishable by up to 10 years in jail and $15,000 fine depending on what you did.  Those people will not make the same mistake twice.....

I'm not saying that law enforcement or the courts will be effective. Heck they let people openly steal in California lol. What I'm saying is that the laws in NY do NOT require you post your land, but if it is posted, it carries more weight. The words I was looking for earlier was intent. There is trespassing and then there is criminal trespassing with intent or something like that. 

from the link i posted

Trespassing

Trespassing is illegal even on unposted property. Instead of posting, a landowner or other authorized person may issue written notice to another individual informing them that they are prohibited from entering the property. The notice must contain a description of the property, what restrictions apply (hunting, fishing, trapping) and the person or persons prohibited from entry. It should be delivered by certified mail or other processes (ex: legal notice in newspaper) to prove that the person was served. At any time, anyone by the landowner, occupant, or other authorized person to leave the premises (posted or not), must do so immediately.

Trespassing on areas posted against trespass pursuant to the Environmental Conservation Law is punishable by a fine up to $250 and/or up to 15 days in jail.