Trespassing and Camera Stealing Stories and Solutions

Five Seasons

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

I keep my old broken or bad cams for just this reason if it comes to that. I wonder though if I should keep old batteries and a cheap SD so they don't realize it's a bait cam and instead it's just a cam where the batteries died. 

yeah i can overthink things... haha

When you want to go full on crazy and put a broken cam on every other tree... let me know I have a box of old ones some where

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm not saying that law enforcement or the courts will be effective. Heck they let people openly steal in California lol. What I'm saying is that the laws in NY do NOT require you post your land, but if it is posted, it carries more weight. The words I was looking for earlier was intent. There is trespassing and then there is criminal trespassing with intent or something like that. 

from the link i posted

Trespassing

Trespassing is illegal even on unposted property. Instead of posting, a landowner or other authorized person may issue written notice to another individual informing them that they are prohibited from entering the property. The notice must contain a description of the property, what restrictions apply (hunting, fishing, trapping) and the person or persons prohibited from entry. It should be delivered by certified mail or other processes (ex: legal notice in newspaper) to prove that the person was served. At any time, anyone by the landowner, occupant, or other authorized person to leave the premises (posted or not), must do so immediately.

Trespassing on areas posted against trespass pursuant to the Environmental Conservation Law is punishable by a fine up to $250 and/or up to 15 days in jail.

I'm with you.  I'm on your side.  I've just been through the grinder with this state and have first hand experience with the lack of enforcability.  To your quote above, the key things are: 1) Without posted signs, you will never prove the INTENT to trespass, verse them playing stupid and saying they didn't know.  Good luck if your property is not posted ever seeing someone prosecuted.  Been there, done that.  Won't ever happen again.  2) UP TO $250 is an actual $50 - $100 appearance ticket.  To my original point, for you the landowner, who has thousands of dollars a year into your property, these people can access it for $100.....There is no deterrent in NYS, which is why people rampantly trespass.

Again, I'm with you.  This wasn't an argument. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, johnplav said:

When you want to go full on crazy and put a broken cam on every other tree... let me know I have a box of old ones some where

I spent $150 on locks and I'm starting there.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L74G7YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went over a year without issues, and I'm new to this area and I'm hoping that this is just a case of someone who hasn't had to worry about being caught in the past and this was just them trying to cover their tracks and now that they know, they won't be back.

However if they keep at it, I'll ratchet up my defenses too haha. I'm more worried about them coming behind a cell cam. Because once your pic is taken on a cell cam it doesn't matter if you take it. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, beachpeaz said:

I'm with you.  I'm on your side.  I've just been through the grinder with this state and have first hand experience with the lack of enforcability.  To your quote above, the key things are: 1) Without posted signs, you will never prove the INTENT to trespass, verse them playing stupid and saying they didn't know.  Good luck if your property is not posted ever seeing someone prosecuted.  Been there, done that.  Won't ever happen again.  2) UP TO $250 is an actual $50 - $100 appearance ticket.  To my original point, for you the landowner, who has thousands of dollars a year into your property, these people can access it for $100.....There is no deterrent in NYS, which is why people rampantly trespass.

Again, I'm with you.  This wasn't an argument. 

yeah we're on the same page for sure. What sort of excuse or response did you get from the law on why they weren't enforcing or pursuing the cases? There are different levels of scumbag. I'd like to think even an appearance ticket would be enough to deter someone from future acts, but I understand that there are those out there that would laugh at that too. 

I guess my point was, that the shittyness of our courts wouldn't stop me from spending $50 and a few hours on posting property. 

Edited by Belo

Had an amish gentleman stealing the " shorts" off a pile of firewood.  

Came.home one day to see wagon wheel marks going up the back way to my house, went by the pile where it seemed shorter than day I left , called the neighbor I was give the pile of short to to ask if he took some ( as he usually took the pile on weekends)  he told me no he hadn't.  So I set up the next am back inthe brush with my shot gun ant at 630 am.here come a amish with a wagon  wh o drive in and n proceded to fill the back of the wagon. .. I jump out asked what the h ell he was doing a d he told me the owner siad he could take them,  I'm the owner and I don't think you ever asked.  Nor do I think you told you family you were coming up here to steal wood.  If I ever see you here again you won't be leaving...  he asked what I meant by that , so I siad I have a gun and a backhoe , figure it out!!... never saw him again.. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, johnplav said:

I gave away several non working cams to be used as decoys and to be used for trade-ins . I still have a few left . I also have an old 35mm trail cam .

On 2/4/2022 at 9:32 AM, Belo said:

yeah we're on the same page for sure. What sort of excuse or response did you get from the law on why they weren't enforcing or pursuing the cases? There are different levels of scumbag. I'd like to think even an appearance ticket would be enough to deter someone from future acts, but I understand that there are those out there that would laugh at that too. 

I guess my point was, that the shittyness of our courts wouldn't stop me from spending $50 and a few hours on posting property. 

First and foremost, you need to actually catch them on your property, detain them, and have the police show up while they are there.  The rest is a moot point.  Cell cam pics is not enough to press charges as there is no proof where the camera was when the picture was taken (yes, that was one of my cases that I mentioned where they stole 2 of 3 cams and had pics on the 3rd).  Police took a report and basically said "oh well, sorry."  

I have had a vehicle parked in my dirt access driveway to my farm from 2 guys coyote hunting with their dogs.  They parked at one spot (Mine), and parked a second vehicle at the opposite end of the block and walked through a bunch of properties.  Could not find them, but had the vehicle.  Called the police.  They tracked the owner down and denied they went through my property (despite foot prints).  Officer said there was nothing he could do other than issue a warning since they weren't caught in the act.

My favorite one was these 2 aholes goose hunting illegally in the filed right next to my house.  I was actually walking down my property line when they popped up and starting shooting over me and my brothers heads towards my house.  You could hear the pellets landing on the siding of the house.  Called the police.  Multiple cars rolled up for this one and they did confiscate their firearms and issue summons.  My sister works for the judge in our town court so I was super excited to see what would happen to those idiots.  First time offense and they played stupid that they were too close to houses and it wasn't goose season.  They had their hunting license suspended for a year and paid $150 fine (this was 10 years ago).  This one being the worst offense in my mind.  Illegal hunting.  Trespassing.  AND a very dangerous situation where they actually shot my house.  Slap on the wrist basically.

I've had plenty more encounters, but these 3 examples stick out in my mind.  All perfect examples where it pays to be a shitbag.  Your chance of being caught is slim to none.  If you are caught, playing stupid will work most cases.  And, when it doesn't, the worse thing that will happen is flipping a Benjamin to the court and walking away.

• Sad 1

On 2/4/2022 at 6:15 PM, G-Man said:

Came.home one day to see wagon wheel marks going up the back way to my house, went by the pile where it seemed shorter than day I left , called the neighbor I was give the pile of short to to ask if he took some ( as he usually took the pile on weekends)  he told me no he hadn't.  So I set up the next am back inthe brush with my shot gun ant at 630 am.here come a amish with a wagon  wh o drive in and n proceded to fill the back of the wagon. .. I jump out asked what the h ell he was doing a d he told me the owner siad he could take them,  I'm the owner and I don't think you ever asked.  Nor do I think you told you family you were coming up here to steal wood.  If I ever see you here again you won't be leaving...  he asked what I meant by that , so I siad I have a gun and a backhoe , figure it out!!... never saw him again.. 

friend of a friend had his firewood slowly disappear , I was told,he drilled out a piece packed it with some sort of black powder/  gun powder . Story goes a guys wood stove blew up pushing out the back wall as well .

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:21 AM, Belo said:

I'm not saying that law enforcement or the courts will be effective. Heck they let people openly steal in California lol. What I'm saying is that the laws in NY do NOT require you post your land, but if it is posted, it carries more weight. The words I was looking for earlier was intent. There is trespassing and then there is criminal trespassing with intent or something like that. 

from the link i posted

Trespassing

Trespassing is illegal even on unposted property. Instead of posting, a landowner or other authorized person may issue written notice to another individual informing them that they are prohibited from entering the property. The notice must contain a description of the property, what restrictions apply (hunting, fishing, trapping) and the person or persons prohibited from entry. It should be delivered by certified mail or other processes (ex: legal notice in newspaper) to prove that the person was served. At any time, anyone by the landowner, occupant, or other authorized person to leave the premises (posted or not), must do so immediately.

Trespassing on areas posted against trespass pursuant to the Environmental Conservation Law is punishable by a fine up to $250 and/or up to 15 days in jail.

In the past, we haven't had much luck prosecuting trespassers,  that being said if you give someone a formally Dec delivered warning it usually keeps them away. No one wants to lose vehicles and equipment. I have found multiple dead bucks with antlers and heads cut off around the lease and unfortunately no one has ever been caught. We now use cell cams often and set them up high using some climbing  sticks.

I did hear a good story about a guy who put a monster shed out in front of a camera in direct view of a posted sign. When someone someone snagged it he could be prosecuted for stealing the shed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I did hear a good story about a guy who put a monster shed out in front of a camera in direct view of a posted sign. When someone someone snagged it he could be prosecuted for stealing the shed.

That would probably be thrown out as entrapment, large mechanical deer whit huge racks are not used for that very reason, sad but it's what our law system has degraded to. 

My former FIL had someone stealing off his woodpile. I am about positive it was the Amish locals. But he wouldn't hear of it. Can't be them.

They stopped at our place next one down the road and wanted to buy or ask to have everything they could spy. It was to the point it was insulting

Caught one rifle hunting in bow season he saw me and skidaddled. Next road over one got caught with 7 deer hanging in the barn untagged.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

That would probably be thrown out as entrapment, large mechanical deer whit huge racks are not used for that very reason, sad but it's what our law system has degraded to. 

In the circumstance that I was relayed, it was not thrown out. This person was definitely prosecuted for some level of larcen. Money talks though. Lawyers are capable of alot.

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

My former FIL had someone stealing off his woodpile. I am about positive it was the Amish locals. But he wouldn't hear of it. Can't be them.

They stopped at our place next one down the road and wanted to buy or ask to have everything they could spy. It was to the point it was insulting

Caught one rifle hunting in bow season he saw me and skidaddled. Next road over one got caught with 7 deer hanging in the barn untagged.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Summer Hill State Land? 

On 2/4/2022 at 6:15 PM, G-Man said:

How deep did you bury them? I'm always worried if I don't go 4+ feet, fox/yotes will dig it up.

• Haha 1

Would it be illegal to booby-trap the cameras? Nothing that causes extreme damage to the thief, but enough to make him never want to do it again? Enough to make him warn other would be trail cam thieves. Say, something strong enough to just damage the camera and the hands holing it?

I had my fave camera "grow feet" and walk out of the woods. Haven't used one since. Man it sure was nice to see all the deer walking around (that I never saw lol). 

The cops never find the guy anyway....how would they know that was my camera? How would they know I rigged it? Is the crook gonna go to the cops and say, "I went to steal this camera, and it blew up when I took it off the tree."?

I see cameras all the time, along with tree stands. I say to myself, "This area is probably at least as good as I assumed, but, someone else is here already.", and I am on my way, having never disturbed the area or other hunter's belongings.

Must be me. I must be the one that is messed up. Oh yea...I know what it is...it's called respect! 

4 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Would it be illegal to booby-trap the cameras? Nothing that causes extreme damage to the thief, but enough to make him never want to do it again? Enough to make him warn other would be trail cam thieves. Say, something strong enough to just damage the camera and the hands holing it?

I had my fave camera "grow feet" and walk out of the woods. Haven't used one since. Man it sure was nice to see all the deer walking around (that I never saw lol). 

The cops never find the guy anyway....how would they know that was my camera? How would they know I rigged it? Is the crook gonna go to the cops and say, "I went to steal this camera, and it blew up when I took it off the tree."?

I see cameras all the time, along with tree stands. I say to myself, "This area is probably at least as good as I assumed, but, someone else is here already.", and I am on my way, having never disturbed the area or other hunter's belongings.

Must be me. I must be the one that is messed up. Oh yea...I know what it is...it's called respect! 

I'm thinking, Metal buckles on the straps holding the camera to the tree, and a solar cattle fencer set up to look like a charging system :)

Place an old junk camera and enclosed blank SD card loaded inside with "sneak thief" dust and let'm have it!!

That stains one's fingers and can't easily be washed off....they can explain every place they go why their fingers and hands are stained bright purple:

Visible Stain Thief Detection Powder Great for home or work to catch thieves Depending upon your particular situation, visible stain detection may be preferable to ultraviolet detection in some cases. Visible stain thief detection powder is used to trap thieves by applying to objects likely to be stolen.

• After the protected item comes in contact with the skin, the body's amino acids react with the powder, creating a highly visible purple stain which can last up to several days.

Visible Theft Detection Powder

Edited by Salmon_Run
added text
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

i've heard some crazy stories where guys have climbed illegally into someone's stand and hurt themselves and the owner held liable. This world is f'n crazy. But in all seriousness, my biggest concern would be kids. Kids and teens are dumb and there's a fine line between kids sneaking around looking to smoke, drink or hump and a grown man trespassing during deer season. But your boobytrap wouldn't know the difference. 

2 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I hope not. I check SD cards of state land cams and put the card back in. I assume others do the same to mine.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ncountry said:

Really? Do you sit in other people's stands too?

on stateland, yes.  Many of them have been there years. I once tied a gatorade bottle to the haul line and 3 months later it was still there, so I knew nobody used it

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

on stateland, yes. 

All you guys that live too close that big city have a warped view...ha.ha.ha.. I'm not sure I'm a fan of this. Not that it matters. To each his own. You could sit in any of mine anytime because you're  a good guy. At least according to some of the guys on here;)

Edited by ncountry
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Belo said:

i've heard some crazy stories where guys have climbed illegally into someone's stand and hurt themselves and the owner held liable. This world is f'n crazy. But in all seriousness, my biggest concern would be kids. Kids and teens are dumb and there's a fine line between kids sneaking around looking to smoke, drink or hump and a grown man trespassing during deer season. But your boobytrap wouldn't know the difference. 

It doesn't matter if my boobytrap knew the difference! If they (kids and teens) were not messing with my cam, they have nothing to worry about.