Trespassing and Camera Stealing Stories and Solutions

Five Seasons

4 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Thanks for ruining my fantasy lol. 

Since you brought it up, wouldn't I have to prove to the cop that the stand is mine at that point? What would you suggest would be the best way to prove to the officer that it was in fact my stand and not the guy sitting in it? 

Proving whose stand it was would be tough, but if it’s on your land then it don’t matter, and it should just be a matter of calling up the tax map on your smart phone, and showing the officer your photo id.  

Not sure what you could do on a lease or on public.  All of my stands are on my land, or that of my parents.   If it was one of the ones on their place, I think law enforcement would believe me, since my last name is the same.  

4 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Since you brought it up, wouldn't I have to prove to the cop that the stand is mine at that point? What would you suggest would be the best way to prove to the officer that it was in fact my stand and not the guy sitting in it? 

I think the phone is more powerful than a gun (or chainsaw) in this situation and a 911/DEC call with the words "belligerent armed trespasser refusing to leave my property" (all true) should get a quick response. 

• Like 1

To my original point of the NY DEC being utterly useless, case in point:

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/montana-man-receives-lifetime-hunting-ban-after-illegally-killing-trophy-moose

This would stop the trash in NY from doing the things they do without penalty.  Forget the lifetime ban, how about potential prison time and the $12,000 fine!!!  Montana isn't alone.  Most states that take wildlife seriously, and criminals even more so, have laws like this.

But, not in NY!  The issue isn't the criminals.  It is the lawless society being created by our politicians.  If I didn't have a moral compass, I'd avoid buying land and licenses too.  It is way cheaper to trespass, poach and steal here.

On 2/4/2022 at 7:13 AM, beachpeaz said:

We will have to agree to disagree.  I'm not guessing when I wrote that.  I own over 200 acres and lease another 400 in NY.  I have had a least a half dozen people dead to rights trespassing and, as originally mentioned, theft of equipment.  I have caught them on my property.  I have had pictures.  I've followed foot prints, 4-wheeler tracks, etc.  I have had the NY DEC involved (useless) and the local police department (marginally better).  I've pressed charges.  I've filled out police reports on the items stolen.  There is absolutely nothing more than an appearance ticket issued.  And, that is if you are lucky enough to get that far.  Most NY shitbags will get away with their illegal activity.  Those who get caught, get a slap on the wrist and will continue to do it.

Secondly, you most certainly do have to legally post your property.  Every 660' at a minimum between signs including all corners.  That is literally the first question the law enforcement officer will ask you if you file a complaint.  They will go check.  The signs have to be clearly visible and legally close enough together.

Lastly, if you think NY has tough laws, I'd suggest reading into other states who actually take these things seriously.  If you get nailed in UT for example (I do a lot of hunting there), you are hit with a felony charge punishable by up to 10 years in jail and $15,000 fine depending on what you did.  Those people will not make the same mistake twice.....

And thrn charge them with a mistemeaner , slap them on the hand fine them 100 bucks, and community service 

Just because the law, reads felony doesnt automatically mean thats what they get charged with 

Edited by TLR

On 2/18/2022 at 12:39 PM, beachpeaz said:

To my original point of the NY DEC being utterly useless, case in point:

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/montana-man-receives-lifetime-hunting-ban-after-illegally-killing-trophy-moose

This would stop the trash in NY from doing the things they do without penalty.  Forget the lifetime ban, how about potential prison time and the $12,000 fine!!!  Montana isn't alone.  Most states that take wildlife seriously, and criminals even more so, have laws like this.

But, not in NY!  The issue isn't the criminals.  It is the lawless society being created by our politicians.  If I didn't have a moral compass, I'd avoid buying land and licenses too.  It is way cheaper to trespass, poach and steal here.

Ummm he poached a moose, i highly doubt  suspending his licence (which he didnt have in the first place) is going to stop him 

Poachers, dont obey the laws, 

Lived in. Montana, for 30+ yrs( we, still own property there) trust me they dont take it half as seriously as you think they do 

Edited by TLR

On 2/10/2022 at 11:42 AM, squirrelwhisperer said:

Engrave your name & adress into the stand 

• Thanks 1