.243 vs 7mm-08

ATbuckhunter

2 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Im confident in the 7mm-08 putting down a bear. They're not that hard to put down

If the bear is standing still and a well placed shot is given, almost any caliber will be able to complete the job, but if not, it's not a good caliber for bear.

And yes, I'm joking.

Most carry a suitable rifle for the game their hunting and a large caliber sidearm for chance encounters, or one suitable caliber rifle , such as the 30-06.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Shoots100 said:

If the bear is standing still and a well placed shot is given, almost any caliber will be able to complete the job, but if not, it's not a good caliber for bear.

And yes, I'm joking.

Most carry a suitable rifle for the game their hunting and a large caliber sidearm for chance encounters, or one suitable caliber rifle , such as the 30-06.

Sounds like you're from grizzly territory.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I will say that I have not handled one. It seems very similar to my 06 over the internet, but I cant really find places near me that even sell them, let alone one that has it in stock

A quick search showed that Sportsman’s Warehouse in Warminster PA stocks the Sauer 100 in some calibers and the 7mm-08 can be ordered. It might be worth a drive to handle one even if it’s a different caliber to see if you like it. 

• Like 2

That’s what I did when I bought my Savage 110T from Bass Pro. I drove to Bridgeport and looked at the same gun in another caliber because they didn’t have the one that I wanted, then ordered one and had it shipped when I got home. Even if they had it, I still would’ve had to have it shipped due to the silly laws in CT. 

• Like 1

The Sauer 100 is the same base rifle as the Mauser m18 (which I bought last year). The Mauser is actually made by Sauer and is off the same production line. I am a lifetime Mauser 98 fan and love my 8x57, but also have long shot and loved the .308.  Thus I ended up with the M18. Wonderfully accurate, the best trigger pull I have used (most all the rest of mine are upgraded to at least a Timney target trigger), I love the removable magazine. I found mine for less than half the recommended selling price. Look around, take your time. the 7mm is not as common so probably commands a higher price. I would suggest you try to find the Mauser . As I recall it was only available in .308, 30-06 and .270. Certainly .270 would be a fine 2nd fiddle to the 06, but of course cant carry the same high end bullet weights.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

The Sauer 100 is the same base rifle as the Mauser m18 (which I bought last year). The Mauser is actually made by Sauer and is off the same production line. I am a lifetime Mauser 98 fan and love my 8x57, but also have long shot and loved the .308.  Thus I ended up with the M18. Wonderfully accurate, the best trigger pull I have used (most all the rest of mine are upgraded to at least a Timney target trigger), I love the removable magazine. I found mine for less than half the recommended selling price. Look around, take your time. the 7mm is not as common so probably commands a higher price. I would suggest you try to find the Mauser . As I recall it was only available in .308, 30-06 and .270. Certainly .270 would be a fine 2nd fiddle to the 06, but of course cant carry the same high end bullet weights.

Pics of your M18…??

5 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I will say that I have not handled one. It seems very similar to my 06 over the internet, but I cant really find places near me that even sell them, let alone one that has it in stock

Take a ride out I-80 and see Alex Roy at Europtics in PA. He’s the single biggest dealer of Sauer/Mauser/Blaser in the US. (Also Swarovski)

He has a 7-08 classic 100 in stock right now.

He’ll have a booth at Harrisburg show currently.

I’ve owned a couple Sauer rifles. Some from before Blaser bought them ( models 200 and 202) and shot several 101’s and one 100. Right now I have a Dural 3000 Drilling, a 30-06 200, and a 202 with a couple barrels (they interchange on same receiver)

New guns have super slick actions, fantastic triggers. Barrels are made in Isny on the same line as Blasers stuff. Very well machined inside and out. One catch is you can’t fit a new barrel ever, the receiver is not threaded, but the average hunter will never shoot out a barrel in a lifetime. Sauer has always been noted for some of the slickest cycling bolt actions around; driven hunts demand quick reloads in much European hunting.

For many years I was involved with a group online that used the three brands, and did a couple meet ups and hunts where we shot LOTS of rifles. Much of what I have is European based manufacturers so familiar with in and outs.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NonTypical said:

A quick search showed that Sportsman’s Warehouse in Warminster PA stocks the Sauer 100 in some calibers and the 7mm-08 can be ordered. It might be worth a drive to handle one even if it’s a different caliber to see if you like it. 

I saw the same, but I did not want to drive all the way out there just to handle a gun. I'm sure ill go out that way for something and ill check it out then. Ill check if they have it bass pro or Cabelas as ill be up that way in CT soon. My grandfather wants to give me his older Remington 7600 since he's giving up hunting so ill have that as a back up 06 as well. I don't want to take out that rifle on a rainy day though.

7 hours ago, Daveboone said:

Why would you suggest a Mauser vs a Sauer? Only thing I don't like about the Mauser is they don't have one in 7mm-08 I don't believe

8 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Why would you suggest a Mauser vs a Sauer? Only thing I don't like about the Mauser is they don't have one in 7mm-08 I don't believe

ATbuckhunter, there is no reason whatsoever to recommend one over the other than my being a huge Mauser fan and I could never afford the M8 or a modern produced 98. If you liked one of the three offered rounds you might just be able to save a chunk of cash over the Sauer is all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daveboone said:

ATbuckhunter, there is no reason whatsoever to recommend one over the other than my being a huge Mauser fan and I could never afford the M8 or a modern produced 98. If you liked one of the three offered rounds you might just be able to save a chunk of cash over the Sauer is all.

I agree, its about 2-300 bucks less from what I can see. I originally was looking at the m18. When I buy a .243 ill probably get a Mauser M18

18 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I saw the same, but I did not want to drive all the way out there just to handle a gun. I'm sure ill go out that way for something and ill check it out then. Ill check if they have it bass pro or Cabelas as ill be up that way in CT soon. My grandfather wants to give me his older Remington 7600 since he's giving up hunting so ill have that as a back up 06 as well. I don't want to take out that rifle on a rainy day though.

As of right now the only Bass Pro or Cabelas that has one in stock is Hamburg PA. You can always check online before you head up that way. 

• Like 1