My Son's New Black Lab Puppy

CharlieNY

My son had to put down his house pet dog 2 months ago. We had talked about him getting a Labrador retriever to retrieve ducks we hunt in our marsh and geese in our fields. Well he found a local litter and pulled the trigger on a AKC black Lab pup. The puppy will be ready for pickup at the end of the first week of March. The litter consisted of 3 blacks, 3 yellows, and 2 chocolates, and both parents were hunting stock. My daughter in law named him "Gunner" which I think is a great name. I am looking forward to working with him and  hunting with Gunner next season. My son's next door neighbor has a pond which we can use to train him. This will be our first retriever and I hope to post updates in the future.   valoroutdoors.com

Litter.jpg

image000000.jpg

• Like 24

Congrats! Hunting with my dog is one of the best feelings. I wont even hunt for birds if I can't take her most of the time. Im sure you guys will feel the same. Start the bird intro young though and good luck! 

That (plus basic obedience) and preventing gunner from being gun shy are the most critical steps. With my Brittany I Started small…loud clap when eating, increase to some pot lid banging, snapping wood rulers on counters, 22s, etc… praise follows all the “bangs”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Well Gunner got his first win yesterday. Thanks to all you great folks out there he got the most likes of the day for yesterday. I want to thank everyone who gave him a like and who replied. I hope this is the first of many wins for Gunner.        valoroutdoors.com

never-say-to-a-dog-lover-its-just-a-dog-34801094.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well here is an update on how Gunner is progressing. He is now 8.5 weeks old and weighs 17.5 lbs. We went snow goose hunting yesterday and my son made a retrieving dummy out of the snow goose wings from a snow goose he shot. Gunner immediately was fetching the wings when they were tossed. Gunner shows great promise and we are looking forward to the Fall hunting season. There is nothing more enjoying than hunting with a good dog.     valoroutdoors.com

image000000.jpg

First retrieve.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Well we took Gunner to our snow goose blind yesterday afternoon for his first outing. He loved the walk through the cut corn field to the blind and got himself a muddy nose. Inside the blind his behavior was exceptional. He stayed on the dog cot that my son bought for him and he loved watching the hundreds of Canada geese flying over. We were there for 4 hours and we had no issues with him. He even went out with me to relieve myself and he followed suit. He is showing a lot of promise.      valoroutdoors.com

image000000.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

As my son is busy with working 2 jobs and watching his 2 young daughters, I have become the de facto trainer for Gunner. Took him out and did some work with him in the field with a puppy size training dummy. Then I introduced him to the water for the first time. He was hesitant at first to go in the water but after some time and coaxing I got him to go in up to his belly. I am patient and will continue to work with him a few days a week. He is a true sweetheart and I really enjoy working with him.    valoroutdoors.com

20220408_133646.jpg

20220408_134458.jpg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, CharlieNY said:

As my son is busy with working 2 jobs and watching his 2 young daughters, I have become the de facto trainer for Gunner. Took him out and did some work with him in the field with a puppy size training dummy. Then I introduced him to the water for the first time. He was hesitant at first to go in the water but after some time and coaxing I got him to go in up to his belly. I am patient and will continue to work with him a few days a week. He is a true sweetheart and I really enjoy working with him.    valoroutdoors.com

20220408_133646.jpg

20220408_134458.jpg

You reap what you sow.  

• Like 1