My Son's New Black Lab Puppy

CharlieNY

You reap what you sow.  

Did his son sow Charlie?!?!? He sounds like he will be the benefactor of Charlie’s sowing!!!! And I’m sure Charlie loves every second of it and glad he can do it for him?
Have you file my adoption papers yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I continue to work with Gunner and he is progressing admirably. I am going to continue to work with him right up to hunting season and will also be getting some professional advanced training in the future. Here is a pic of him retrieving his training dummy and bringing it back to my hand which you can see in the pic.    valoroutdoors.comScreenshot_20220416-105945.thumb.png.07274725db60ab985529466380365969.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Start with a .22 yet?

Yes I started shooting my .22 revolver with blanks over him last week. He was startled the first time but was fine after that. I usually hold him, fire the gun at arm's length into the air; and then throw the dummy as far as I can. I send him for the dummy and when he brings it back to my hand I have trained him to sit. Then I give him a small piece of a dog biscuit as a reward in addition to verbally praising him.     valoroutdoors.com

20220416_161934.jpg

Edited by CharlieNY
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well here's the latest update on Gunner. I've been turkey hunting the last 3 mornings and working with Gunner after I'm done hunting. He has been coming along fine. He had no problem going into water for retrieves but would not go in over his head. I would not force him under any circumstances and remained patient. Yesterday he broke the ice and went into deep water and made a retrieve on his own. Gunner will be 4 months old on May 5 and I am proud of him.     valoroutdoors.com

Screenshot_20220503-163600.png

• Like 7

Excellent!!!!

Training my two labs was very gratifying.   I enjoyed it very much and was proud of what they did.   No, they wouldn’t have won any field trials but the were Blue Ribbon winners in my book.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest update on Gunner. Did some more training with him in the marsh and pond and he is coming along very well. Today I introduced him to some larger river water where he had to make some longer retrieves and he made me proud again. He is 4 months old now and just started swimming 2 weeks ago.       valoroutdoors.com

20220516_141545.png

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Well Gunner is going great and is definitely going to be a big dog. He just turned 5 months old this week. All my buddies said he should have been named "tank" because he's so big. He should work out well retrieving large Canada Geese from our fields this upcoming season. Here's a pic of him with a wet coat after making a water retrieve this week.       valoroutdoors.com

Screenshot_20220529-170420.png

• Like 7

we just picked up our new black lab almost 3 weeks ago now. He has big shoes to fill after our golden made it to 15, but passed in August. That dog was amazing, wouldn't chase out of the yard and you could walk him off a leash, never had a single obedience class.

As for Colt (sweet name I know) things are slowly being destroyed around the house.

IMG_1701.thumb.jpeg.9cd6982cd5d80828323b72a9390523fc.jpeg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Well I have been working with Gunner this summer and he continues to progress excellently. In one photo you can see him sitting on a dock fixated on the white bumper you can see that I had thrown into the water. In the other photo you can see him swimming out to retrieve it after I gave him the command to retrieve it. He is a terrific dog and we will be taking him hunting next month for the early Canada goose season. There is nothing more rewarding than hunting with a good dog.  valoroutdoors.com

Screenshot_20220808-182834.png

Screenshot_20220808-183018.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:22 AM, Belo said:

we just picked up our new black lab almost 3 weeks ago now. He has big shoes to fill after our golden made it to 15, but passed in August. That dog was amazing, wouldn't chase out of the yard and you could walk him off a leash, never had a single obedience class.

As for Colt (sweet name I know) things are slowly being destroyed around the house.

IMG_1701.thumb.jpeg.9cd6982cd5d80828323b72a9390523fc.jpeg

Just seeing this now.  Well done Mr B..............any updated pics?

3 minutes ago, CharlieNY said:

Well I have been working with Gunner this summer and he continues to progress excellently. In one photo you can see him sitting on a dock fixated on the white bumper you can see that I had thrown into the water. In the other photo you can see him swimming out to retrieve it after I gave him the command to retrieve it. He is a terrific dog and we will be taking him hunting next month for the early Canada goose season. There is nothing more rewarding than hunting with a good dog.  valoroutdoors.com

Screenshot_20220808-182834.png

Screenshot_20220808-183018.png

Looking good.  Can't wait for the field pics in a few weeks.

Here is the latest update. I bought Gunner one of those expensive Dokken Canada Goose dummies to train him to retrieve geese in addition to ducks. It is fairly large and heavy but Gunner had no problem retrieving it. I'm getting him ready for the early September Canada Goose season.       valoroutdoors.com

Screenshot_20220816-185927.png

• Like 8

On 8/10/2022 at 10:08 AM, Belo said:

Just as I thought he was out of his puppy faze he absolutely destroyed the bottom half of my coffee table. Wife and kids clueless when it happened... ugh.

I have reminders like that from one dog and two cats.  Memories....... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well we did it. Today was the first hunt for Gunner. He will be 8 months old in 3 days. He made his first retrieve of a Canada goose in the first picture and in the second picture he is resting in the blind after making a second retrieve  He remained remarkably calm and we'll behaved throughout the morning hunt. I could not be happier with him.   valoroutdoors.com

Screenshot_20220902-070643.png

20220902_080932.jpg

• Like 11

I thought I would put together a couple of photos showing Gunner's progress this year. The first photo is of Gunner at 8 weeks old retrieving a snow goose wing at home. The second photo is of Gunner yesterday at 8 months old retrieving his second Canada goose. That goose was a large heavy bird but Gunner brought him in. From 8 weeks to 8 months has been commendable.      valoroutdoors.com

First retrieve.jpg

Screenshot_20220903-072105.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

We got out this morning on a private pond and Gunner got to make his first actual water retrieve on a Canada goose. Gunner was well behaved in the blind and we bagged another goose which he made another water retrieve on. Watching him make the retrieves was the best part of the hunt.       valoroutdoors.com

Screenshot_20220915-132719.png

• Like 7