Hows this pattern

Jeremy K

16 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Looks fine from here. Being the big into archery guy you are, why not go with a single shot? 

When i was researching affordable turkey guns this one kept coming up. The back bored barrel to reduce recoil from 3.5 loads had me intrigued . I had a box of long beard 3.5s with me that i didn't shoot today (they technically belong to treeguy but i haven't delivered them yet) 

• Like 1

I really bagged on mossberg for a long time until my buddy bought me a ulti-mag, it is truly a great gun. Dependable and very good shooter. I use it in muddy fields for geese and frozen shore lines for ducks in late season. It has replaced my dad's 1100 for most of my dirty work and foul weather hunting. It's really a great gun, I have many chokes for it and 3.5 inch is a real luxury,  almost a necessity for big spring Toms.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I really bagged on mossberg for a long time until my buddy bought me a ulti-mag, it is truly a great gun. Dependable and very good shooter. I use it in muddy fields for geese and frozen shore lines for ducks in late season. It has replaced my dad's 1100 for most of my dirty work and foul weather hunting. It's really a great gun, I have many chokes for it and 3.5 inch is a real luxury,  almost a necessity for big spring Toms.

I'd be interested in hearing why you feel 3 1/2's are a necessity for turkey. 

6 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I've never killed a turkey or even carried a 3.5 inch shell into the woods . Seeing how the 3 inch patterned i may never shoot a 3.5 . I have the option now at least. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Dead Tom right there. I also have the famed 835.  I have the Primos " Tightwad" choke for it- but increasingly just use the Extra Full choke that came with the shotgun.

Do yuo only shoot lead through the stock choke? Mine is labelled for lead only. 

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I think they really make a difference.  More shot better pattern. I dont care what other guys do but Im all for best ability to kill. I even considered 10g. in the past but 12g 3.5 is pretty is pretty great!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I've never killed a turkey or even carried a 3.5 inch shell into the woods . Seeing how the 3 inch patterned i may never shoot a 3.5 . I have the option now at least. 

That pattern would be a sure kill at 50 yards also....I never could warm up to a clunky Mossberg, but they are functional and shoot like a house afire...I have seen my buddy Gator  from Canada make some pretty awesome shots with his 835..  He uses 3.5 shells but I don't think he needs to...  I personally have never fired a 3.5 " 12 gauge shell, and I don't ever intend to.....

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Just picked up the Carlson choke and the Win XR yesterday 
tried a box of Nitro and the XR

the XR waaaay better'
this was at 40yrds

1507390113_IMG_3242(1).jpg.bf67683c955ff94b7f83fd1accd8625f.jpg

Wow, those tight patters scare me! Do you have an optic on your gun? When The bead is covering more than your pattern it’s very easy to miss/wound turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Wow, those tight patters scare me! Do you have an optic on your gun? When The bead is covering more than your pattern it’s very easy to miss/wound turkeys.

No optics, Iron truglo sights 

this was my 4 shots yesterday with the new choke (i adjusted the windage and elevation and will shoot again tomorrow

but you can see the difference between the Remington Nitro's and the Win XR (pay no attention to my writing XL lol)

Remington was Size 6

Win XR is Size 5

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

Edited by Danny

18 minutes ago, Danny said:

this was my 4 shots yesterday with the new choke (i adjusted the windage and elevation and will shoot again tomorrow

but you can see the difference between the Remington Nitro's and the Win XR (pay no attention to my writing XL lol)

Remington was Size 6

Win XR is Size 5

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

I'm not sure I like that tight of a pattern in the top picture.  That bird turns his head or drops his head, poof!

Take a poke at 25 yards and see what you get....... :(

Contrary to what most preach, you can very easily have too tight of a pattern with today's ammo and chokes.

• Like 2

I had an 835, didn't like it at all. After duck hunting my cheek bone would be sore from shooting, never felt like it shouldered well. I also bought one box of 3.5" shells, never bought another, didn't see a bit of difference worth the extra recoil/cost. My SX3 takes 3.5 also, still don't ever see the need, unless maybe shooting buckshot for coyotes. To each their own, most of the turkeys I've killed have been 25yds and under, a 3.5" is unnecessary to me. I could probably kill birds just as well with 2 3/4" too.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 2:11 PM, Jeremy K said:

I ditched the idea of an O/U and got a mossberg 835 turkey . I bought a Carlson longbeard XR choke . Heres my pattern at 40 yards .

20220205_131058.jpg

Could be one of the best turkeys guns of all time.  I love mine 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Danny said:

Remington was Size 6

Win XR is Size 5

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

I'm really happy with mine and my history with gun and loads is the Winchester preform better also. The only complaint I and with mine is the truglo sight would catch on my ghillie suit and knock the windage off. I removed all of the sights and shoot straight down the barrel with half of the target showing. I dont agree with everyone, I think a tight pattern is really effective, 1 pellet may kill the bird but 20 will really do it dirty. Also many guys won't agree but #4 or #5 will still do a great job at long distance. 3.5" means more shot and more effective I don't like when animals get away, but to each thier own opinion. Good luck!!!

• Like 1

I had an 835, didn't like it at all. After duck hunting my cheek bone would be sore from shooting, never felt like it shouldered well. I also bought one box of 3.5" shells, never bought another, didn't see a bit of difference worth the extra recoil/cost. My SX3 takes 3.5 also, still don't ever see the need, unless maybe shooting buckshot for coyotes. To each their own, most of the turkeys I've killed have been 25yds and under, a 3.5" is unnecessary to me. I could probably kill birds just as well with 2 3/4" too.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Put me on that list too, 3.5” is downright unenjoyable and I have ZERO use for them in the Turkey woods.

Even in a 20ga I use a high brass game load 2 3/4” plated #6. It kills them very dead and I haven’t missed/wounded one since making the switch.

If you hunt the fields and are interested in shooting turkeys at 60yds maybe 3.5” have a place but that ain’t me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Count me in on the 2 3/4 inch high brass shells. I shot one of the big shells out of my brother's gun, and said never again. That is just too much for me to enjoy my hunting. I'm an up close and personal turkey hunter anyway, so it doesn't really matter with me.

I will say that it sure is impressive what the fancy chokes and new loads can do for the guys that prefer to hunt the fields.

• Like 3

On 2/18/2022 at 2:12 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I had the exact issue that you mentioned regarding the bead blocking out the target.  Still was able to kill birds at 50+ with the Carlson choke and Longbeard XR.  But, I added a truglo red dot site last year and found it to be a game changer. Clear view of the target. Much better. 

• Like 1