So i have a big hankering to get into the 1911 market. Im looking at the usual mid level offerings. Colt, Springfield, Ruger, Remington, Kimber etc…I know i want a 5 inch gun and all steel. I want at a minimum the 3 dot sight most manufacturers are putting on. I dont want a gi type minimalist sight. Any thoughts or opinions out there? Favorites? I want to stay in the 8-9 hundred range. Any for sale out there? Opinions welcome. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

For about thirty years I had craved a 1911, and a few years ago finally made the plunge. Must haves...minimal "combat" customization...I love the plane jane GI issue...but sights stink. Steel. Colt. The original. Must have a pony on it. In my opinion they have been the original manufacturer of the 1911 since...1911, they have the most experience, I did not want a "Johnny Come Lately". The Colt Competition stayed true to the original lines pretty much, with some internal modernization including competition trigger and sights. The girly blue grips didnt last 1/2 an hour at home. Due to reloading / ammo supplies, I havent shot it as much as I wish I had, but I have around 700 rounds through it with out a single failure. Mine was about 900.oo. Sure  you can find a plane jane Phillipine 1911 that will go "bang" for around five hundred, but are you going to get an evil smile on your face every time you look at it like I do with the real Mccoy?

• Like 1

Oh i want a quality piece. Im definitely a quality guy. Look at my smith and wesson posts. I guess im not sure who comes out on top in that 8-900 range. Im not convinced colt is best just because its colt. However i will say im a usa built fan, so that leaves ruger and Remington in the mix. Im still sour on the whole Springfield debacle, hard to swallow that one. I really like sig and smith and wesson but that is going into the 12-1400 range easily. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I was looking and still am considering a big money custom 1911, but in the last year I’ve bought 3 Dan Wesson 1911’s and in my opinion for the price nothing comes close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im familiar with DW revolvers not autos. What do you like about them? 

1 hour ago, hueyjazz said:

Space

Have you considered Kimber?  US made and back in business.  They make a 1911

I have considered them. They are on my list however a lot of their offerings in my price range are light weight (aluminum frame) and/or two tone. There just aren’t a ton of options in stock anywhere, I don’t really want to order…

Im familiar with DW revolvers not autos. What do you like about them? 

Compared to their competitors their quality and fit and finish are unmatched in the price range.

Last year I made a post on a 1911 forum inquiring about a new 1911 and about 30 of the 35 reply’s mentioned DW’s. They weren’t on my list before that but now I own 3.

Everyone’s taste is different but I handled/shot them all and liked them the best!

30 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Compared to their competitors their quality and fit and finish are unmatched in the price range.

Last year I made a post on a 1911 forum inquiring about a new 1911 and about 30 of the 35 reply’s mentioned DW’s. They weren’t on my list before that but now I own 3.

Everyone’s taste is different but I handled/shot them all and liked them the best!

Ill check them out thanks. 

So i have a big hankering to get into the 1911 market. Im looking at the usual mid level offerings. Colt, Springfield, Ruger, Remington, Kimber etc…I know i want a 5 inch gun and all steel. I want at a minimum the 3 dot sight most manufacturers are putting on. I dont want a gi type minimalist sight. Any thoughts or opinions out there? Favorites? I want to stay in the 8-9 hundred range. Any for sale out there? Opinions welcome. 

Kimber custom stainless. I have one Dan carry it fairly regularly