25-06 Scope

DanD

I always wanted a quarter bore and found a relative steal in this market on a NIB Weatherby Vanguard in 25-06. I've been wrestling with the decision of scope power as I would normally throw a 3-9x40 on it and call it a day. This will be more of a longer range gun for predators and open field deer hunting so some extra magnification (4.5-14?) might not hurt. Anyone have a similar setup or thoughts?

Congratulations on your new 25-06, the cartridge is one of my favorites. Had the pleasure to own two rifles, one was a semi custom job setup strictly as a varmint rifle base on an FN Mauser action with a 26 inch Douglas premium barrel and topped with a Redfield 20x straight power scope, made a few unreal long shots with that one.

The second one I set up fairly recently based on a Thompson Center Pro Hunter Encore single shot, this one I wanted to use as a dual purpose rifle for both Deer and Varmints. This one wears a (discontinued) Burris Timberline compact 4.5x14 which is very light and small to help keep the weight down.

If you are a stand hunter not doing much walking carrying long distances and watching over open land a heavy high powered scope is great especially for long shots on Woodchucks.

Firearms I use when on the move and especially when hunting woods I keep the weight down and use a bit lower power with big fields of view.

Al

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Will_C said:

Not a .25-06, but I have a .243 I set up for deer and woodchucks. I have a Leupold 4.5x-14x scope on it. Have shot deer 50 yards away and chucks at 350. Scope worked well for both.

I have this same setup with a leupold vx3i 4.5-14 on a Winchester model 70. Big big fan with 80 grain barnes ttsx. 

3 hours ago, airedale said:

Congratulations on your new 25-06, the cartridge is one of my favorites. Had the pleasure to own two rifles, one was a semi custom job setup strictly as a varmint rifle base on an FN Mauser action with a 26 inch Douglas premium barrel and topped with a Redfield 20x straight power scope, made a few unreal long shots with that one.

The second one I set up fairly recently based on a Thompson Center Pro Hunter Encore single shot, this one I wanted to use as a dual purpose rifle for both Deer and Varmints. This one wears a (discontinued) Burris Timberline compact 4.5x14 which is very light and small to help keep the weight down.

If you are a stand hunter not doing much walking carrying long distances and watching over open land a heavy high powered scope is great especially for long shots on Woodchucks.

Firearms I use when on the move and especially when hunting woods I keep the weight down and use a bit lower power with big fields of view.

Al

I’ve leaning towards buying something a touch bigger than I have on anything else I own. Might try a 50mm objective for the first time since I won’t be trying to carry it through brush and over mountains in the ADKs. I’ve never bought a Burris but I’ve heard good things from a few guys I know. I struggle to venture away from leupold or vortex. They’ve haven’t let me down….yet

9 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

I have a Leupold VX-3i 3.5x10x40 on my 25.06. Works great at the distances I shoot, but then I don't really do much shooting at ranges over 200 yards.

I have the same scope on a 7mm-08. I like it a lot, but they don’t make it anymore. Closest they make is a VX3HD with their CDS turret that I’ve never messed with. 

12 hours ago, DanD said:

I always wanted a quarter bore and found a relative steal in this market on a NIB Weatherby Vanguard in 25-06. I've been wrestling with the decision of scope power as I would normally throw a 3-9x40 on it and call it a day. This will be more of a longer range gun for predators and open field deer hunting so some extra magnification (4.5-14?) might not hurt. Anyone have a similar setup or thoughts?

Just an FYI..   If you are looking for any ammo, I have some Federal Fusion ammo available

On 2/8/2022 at 10:15 AM, DanD said:

Any decisions yet?

The Tract Toric 2-10x42 I put on my 7mm-08 zeroed easy enough as one would hope and works fine with the existing Talley scope mounts even with the Butler Creek lens caps I had to get for it.  I made the move to the Tract towards the end of deer season so only shot enough to get it dialed in.  A few weeks ago I intended on shooting it again at my buddies but the snow depth and distance to the range/bench quelled that idea.  Hopefully in the coming weeks I can get some time with it.

The power selector and adjustments all worked smooth.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Any decisions yet?

The Tract Toric 2-10x42 I put on my 7mm-08 zeroed easy enough as one would hope and works fine with the existing Talley scope mounts even with the Butler Creek lens caps I had to get for it.  I made the move to the Tract towards the end of deer season so only shot enough to get it dialed in.  A few weeks ago I intended on shooting it again at my buddies but the snow depth and distance to the range/bench quelled that idea.  Hopefully in the coming weeks I can get some time with it.

The power selector and adjustments all worked smooth.   

Still mulling it over. I should be able to pick up the actual gun this week. From there, I just need to pull the trigger and get the rings/bases and the scope. I don't think I'm going to go too nuts as far as objective and mag range. 40-44mm Objective and probably 15x max for magnification.

What kind of reticle did you get in that Tract? 

2 minutes ago, DanD said:

Still mulling it over. I should be able to pick up the actual gun this week. From there, I just need to pull the trigger and get the rings/bases and the scope. I don't think I'm going to go too nuts as far as objective and mag range. 40-44mm Objective and probably 15x max for magnification.

What kind of reticle did you get in that Tract? 

T Plex

There are alot of optics companies out there now. I have one Leupold, owned two. I know people LOVE them, but short of edge clarity, I can't say they stand out. Definitely feel like you get more with other brands now. At the end of the day it is a good scope brand.

Vortex doesn't seem to be the Vortex of old. I haven't been super impressed with them the past 3-4 years. I've sold off all of my Vortex save for a Crossfire II that is on a Scout single shot. 

Athlon, Maven, Sig Sauer, Tract, Riton, and the list goes on. Lots of new players there. Plus others like Burris and Vanguard that are IMO under-acknowledged. Burris and Vanguard own all or most of their factories, too, which is somewhat rare in the non-legacy companies.

Vortex PST GEN 2, 3-15x44 will be plenty.

I've bought and shot with both the Sig and Athlon. My PST GEN 2 is still better clarity, and turrets are more pronounced when changing elevation and windage.

Granted it does not rate with a Razor, but if you want something in between look at the new
Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 XLR-2 MRAD Scope w/Lens Covers/Sunshade RZR-42202, its about $1500, but has better glass than a PST, and not as heavy as a Bronze Razor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk