2022 maple season

corydd7

Ok folks this will be my first year doing maple syrup! Just ten or so trees small scale the first year, hopefully I learn a lot and next year can grow the operation. 

I've read and watched a ton of informative books/videos so I think I'm prepared. 

First question of the year, is it to early to tap? I was going to tap five trees tomorrow but not sure if I'm wasting my time tapping to early?

Next three or four days look ideal but then the temperature drops again.

Screenshot_20220208-142102_The Weather Channel.jpg

• Like 1

Even if you tap early, its common the hole will scar over. Pop the tap and run the drill another 1/8". It will open up.  Large operations have been tapped for a couple week, but they have vacuum systems that keep the hole from closing up.

• Like 1

My 2020 season was a joy sitting around the evaporator with the aroma of maple steam filling the air. Every jar and a 7 gallon holding container full of sweet goodness,  Some days evaping all day till 2 in the morning. Miss the adventure. Good luck to all in the Maple World.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

My buddies were just asking me what makes the color different anyone have an answer? 

One of the trees isn't a sugar does that matter? 

The early sap has more sugar and takes less sap for each gal of syrup made, and less time in the evaporator. As the season progresses, the sap has less sugar content and takes more sap per gal of syrup and a longer cook time resulting in the darker color. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

what do you guys do with all this syrup? Not trying to be funny, genuinely curious. I think my house uses 10 tablespoons per year max?

We use about a gal a yr.  My nephew and his family use about 5 gal a yr. 

Started tapping today.  Got about 200 in. Another 50 or so to do tomorrow. Thinking about adding a additional mainline and adding another 50+ taps.

The squirrel's did a number on our lateral lines. Used 500' of tubing today to fix all the damage they did. Furry little bastards chewed through not only tubing, but fitting's also.  

• Like 2