Antler Restrictions - What are your thoughts?

TheHunter

Antler Restrictions Poll  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Antler Restrictions Poll

• Yes - I
    • Nope - I
    • Give it a few years to see the results
    • Not Sure

I wasn't trying to bash people who meat hunt... I get 2 dmp tags usually every year... and I usually try to fill them with the muzzleloader. I guess my true point was more about guys being so worried about the little stuff.. they're either mad at the DEC, or the coyotes, or the neighbor hunting next door, or the weather, or the cost of this and the amount of that..I say just shut up and hunt. Te rest of the stuff might be fun to chat about with the boys a bit but when it comes down to it... a successful hunt is all about you and your approach to deer hunting, not about anything else. like I said.. if there was just one big buck left anywhere to hunt.. I would hunt strictly for the excitement I would get from the challenge of killing that one buck with out any complaints

I would just like to see more 2.5 year olds in the herd.. I think by lowering the number of 1.5 and younger being taken... it will improve the buck doe ratio making hunting the rut more intense and more fun to be out there... Plus who doesn't have the "bucket of spikes to 4 points" sitting in their shed.. My thinking is, shoot a doe over the small buck.. lets see what happens in a few years and adjust from there... Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.. Lets try something new and see where it leads us...

What do you say to our hunting brothers in the Daks that don't have permits?

Seems like most everyone forgets, is unaware or just doesn't care that there are NO DMP's in the Daks!  It's pretty tough for us guys to pass on a small buck to shoot a doe if we don't have a DMP. ;D

I would just like to see more 2.5 year olds in the herd.. I think by lowering the number of 1.5 and younger being taken... it will improve the buck doe ratio making hunting the rut more intense and more fun to be out there... Plus who doesn't have the "bucket of spikes to 4 points" sitting in their shed.. My thinking is, shoot a doe over the small buck.. lets see what happens in a few years and adjust from there... Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.. Lets try something new and see where it leads us...

Seems like most everyone forgets, is unaware or just doesn't care that there are NO DMP's in the Daks!  It's pretty tough for us guys to pass on a small buck to shoot a doe if we don't have a DMP. ;D

Just curious , but why not get a dmp for another area and take a trip to some state land to hunt? Just a thought

LOL. I have seen those guys...same ones opening a $9.00 pack of Cig's and saying they are strapped for cash.

But i personally know people that do not have the means to travel like that to hunt....some is the money...others are family committments. There are lots of legitimate reasons. I have been luck in my economic and social freedom to pursue the sport I love........(shhhhhhh....don't let her hear this...but my wife is wonderful and never gives me a hard time going anywhere at any time) ;)

I would just like to see more 2.5 year olds in the herd.. I think by lowering the number of 1.5 and younger being taken... it will improve the buck doe ratio making hunting the rut more intense any more fun to be out there... Plus who doesn't have the "bucket of spikes to 4 points" sitting in their shed.. My thinking is, shoot a doe over the small buck.. lets see what happens in a few years and adjust from there... Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.. Lets try something new and see where it leads us...

Just curious , but why not get a dmp for another area and take a trip to some state land to hunt? Just a thought

Well NY, it is a thought but does not appeal to me for a few reasons.  Time off from from work is one.  I do get vacation but I would rather spend it hunting for an adirondack bruiser or any adirondack buck for that matter.  I used to go to 8N hunting on public land but got sick of the orange barrade.  Second is money.  I will admit I could afford traveling for a hunt but really see no need to since if I take my time off to hunt the daks I know I can kill a buck......maybe only a spike but none the less i am happy and it didn't cost me a ton of money.

well lets see why I would not get a dmp for other reas and hunt state land.  nuber 1 I read on here about all the yahoos on state land and getting shot at and all of that.  Number two I am not going to throw a dart at a map and say yeah that is where I will go without puttig in some time to scout the area.  number three I shoudl not have to get a dmp for another area to get meat just to satisfy the ones who think I should not shoot a small buck.  I read the horror stories on here about how it is on state land in the sz and I  say umm no thanks. 

Around here..erie co 9h..we arent allowed to use rifles..so unless you use a muzzloader its all about closing the distance..what id like to see if ny wants to slap a restriction on me is the introduction of feeders..now i know what your thinkin but for me its not finding the deer that is the tough part..sometimes theres too many eyes than one would feel comfy with..my thoughts on this are more oriented in being able to judge a deer..buck or doe..getting the deer to hold still..for good clean shots..and the promotion of a healthy herd..its a back scratchin situation..i would totally be willing to buy state regulated health feed and of course have to buy a feeder..besides the way i see it..the "attractants" like cmere deer and all these dummies planting food plots isnt far off baiting..it would just be nice to get a few more seconds to judge the deer..multiple deer..i.e does..ive shot small does by themselves which look huge but if left standing next to another you easily see the difference..

Around here..erie co 9h..we arent allowed to use rifles..so unless you use a muzzloader its all about closing the distance..what id like to see if ny wants to slap a restriction on me is the introduction of feeders..now i know what your thinkin but for me its not finding the deer that is the tough part..sometimes theres too many eyes than one would feel comfy with..my thoughts on this are more oriented in being able to judge a deer..buck or doe..getting the deer to hold still..for good clean shots..and the promotion of a healthy herd..its a back scratchin situation..i would totally be willing to buy state regulated health feed and of course have to buy a feeder..besides the way i see it..the "attractants" like cmere deer and all these dummies planting food plots isnt far off baiting..it would just be nice to get a few more seconds to judge the deer..multiple deer..i.e does..ive shot small does by themselves which look huge but if left standing next to another you easily see the difference..

I'm not sure I get why not having a rifle would matter... everyone knows what a big buck looks like.. you'll be able to tell if he's a shooter or not.. I've been doing it a long time.. it's really not hard.

Now I know your argument will be that you might be letting legal bucks that are close to the limit go because it will be hard to distinguish those bucks from a distance.. well if you can't tell then you shouldn't shoot.

The next argument will be that you won't be able to fill tags easy that way... well if killing isn't what hunting is all about (like everyone keeps saying.. and I agree) then you shouldn't have a problem there either.

Eventually there will be plenty of keepers around that you will have no problem identifying as legal... problem solved...

Take a look at huntingwny.com....thats an area im hunting in...how much bigger do you expect those deer to get..im also talkin body size..ive seen some big ass 4 pt deer ..rack to me is benifit..if the deer comes on a b line thru these hardwoods..not having the ability to scope the deer well enough to follow some restriction aimed purely at trophy hunters is what i mean ...what i meant about the rifles is the benifit of scoping..i cant sit on the edge of a field cause im starin into 100 acres of corn..the woods i hunt doesnt have "shooting lanes"..its thick..youve got about 2 min as apposed to seeing a deer from afar and possibly get a good look a coupla times..and if i choose to pull the trigger im to be punished because i misjudged...

You aren't hunting areas any different than I have killed big bucks in..It takes me a split second to know if the buck is a taker... and if I can't tell right away.. he gets to live...  and there is no such thing as a big ass 4 pt...not unless its a 4.5 year old 10 point with 6 points busted off  ;)

Antler restrictions are a must most of the gun hunters that claim there meat hunters dont even bow hunt or they never tag the damn things anyway.and ive never seen a huge ass mature 4 pt in all 27 years of deer huntin

Antler restrictions are a must most of the gun hunters that claim there meat hunters dont even bow hunt or they never tag the damn things anyway.and ive never seen a huge ass mature 4 pt in all 27 years of deer huntin

What exctly are you tryingto say?