hard cast vs lead vs plated bullets

rachunter

Just trying to see what everyone thinks is the better bullet for plinking.I've been using hard cast in my 3030 with a little leading if i don't let the gun cool off.I just picked up a .357 magnum and want to load up some for trigger time.I was shooting .38's but would rather go with something a little less pricey,plus I don't like the way the .38's slide around in the chamber.

I have used swaged lead, hard cast and Berry's plated lead, they all have their uses depending on what kind of shooting you want to do. I bought bulk swaged lead back when I first started reloading and learned some hard lessons fast. They have to be loaded at very low velocities or you will have a lead plated bore. I had my first reloads loaded just a bit hot and was getting severe leading in my 357 handguns of the day. I made good use of the Lewis lead remover pictured below. I regulate swaged lead to plinking and target shooting.

Hard cast is much better when it comes to leading, with the right alloy they can be loaded hot with little or no leading, in semi wadcutter style they work great for hunting also. Their drawback is the lube used on them can be very messy and dirty.

Just started using the plated lead recently and I like them a lot, they are accurate, can be loaded fairly hot with zero leading and are reasonably priced. I have been using the 158 gr hp pictured below. I have not hunted with them yet but I think they will work fine with a properly placed shot.

Al

2022-02-09_172703.png

2022-02-09_172849.png

Edited by airedale
  • Thanks 1

Leading is a pain . I have been messing around with powder coated bullets . It helps with leading .  I cast my own bullets I can play with the mix to make them a little harder. 

Probably plated bullets  is the easiest fix.  

Edited by Nytracker
To damn tired to retype.
  • Thanks 1

With  hard cast  and leading it has a lot to do with bullet diameter to barrel fit , one really  needs to slug their barrel to know what diameter bullet is needed . Of course gas checks on hard cast bullets will do away with leading , powder coating seems to do a good job also even though I’ve never tried them. I’ve had good luck with no leading using hard cast ( https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/?target=main) in my plinker loads in 38 and running hot 357 loads in my sons black hawk. Before I gave it to my son I was hunting with rim rocks 180 grain hard cast gas check  over 13 grains of 2400 shooting 1380 fps over my chrono. And that load worked exceptionally well on deer and super accurate to boot . 

For the copper washed bullets,  I’ve shot several thousand X-treme  bullets ( https://www.xtremebullets.com/) from our 38’s 357’s and my 44 mag , sometimes pushing them hard at times with good accuracy. Now having said that my RIA 1911 in 10 mm absolutely hates the X-treme bullets flyers all day every day.  

Really for plinking rounds as long as you keep it down in the 8-900 fps or lower range you should be ok with hard cast . Or if you don’t want to worry and want to play with upper end loads the copper wash is the way to go . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, rob-c said:

With  hard cast  and leading it has a lot to do with bullet diameter to barrel fit , one really  needs to slug their barrel to know what diameter bullet is needed . Of course gas checks on hard cast bullets will do away with leading , powder coating seems to do a good job also even though I’ve never tried them. I’ve had good luck with no leading using hard cast ( https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/?target=main) in my plinker loads in 38 and running hot 357 loads in my sons black hawk. Before I gave it to my son I was hunting with rim rocks 180 grain hard cast gas check  over 13 grains of 2400 shooting 1380 fps over my chrono. And that load worked exceptionally well on deer and super accurate to boot . 

For the copper washed bullets,  I’ve shot several thousand X-treme  bullets ( https://www.xtremebullets.com/) from our 38’s 357’s and my 44 mag , sometimes pushing them hard at times with good accuracy. Now having said that my RIA 1911 in 10 mm absolutely hates the X-treme bullets flyers all day every day.  

Really for plinking rounds as long as you keep it down in the 8-900 fps or lower range you should be ok with hard cast . Or if you don’t want to worry and want to play with upper end loads the copper wash is the way to go . 

I slugged the barrel on my 3030,i didn't even think of doing the .357 i'm going to try that tomorrow 

• Like 1