No Elk Tag this year

Good luck with your deer tags, AZ Girl...

Unlike here in the east, drawing tags in AZ is not necessarily a yearly event, even for residents.

However, if you DO draw a tag, chances for a GOOD one are excellent...

A buddy of mine drew a bow tag a couple of years ago after about 16 years of applying..He killed a 340" plus bull.. He said it was truly the hunt of a lifetime...He was into big bulls daily for about 10 days until he killed his bull..

I guess I shouldn't feel too bad, as I got a chance to hunt them last fall. I did see a spike the fist day at 10 am with his mom, but if I am to get one, then I want a big boy. I still have deer tags coming up, either Whitetail or Mule deer, and always can try for lion. http://azgfd.com/ in case you are coming out this way

I am heading back to AZ late October/Early November to hopefully get a mountain lion. I plan on applying for the Mule Deer lottery, since i will be there at that time.

If you are using a guide with hounds, then I'm sure you'll get one. My nephew told me a cute story about one of his friend's bow hunting, and doused himself with doe lure. From the side, a big cat jumped on him knocking him to the ground, and wound up pinning him down. After a bit of exchanging bad breath, the cat realized this was no deer it was standing on, and left. He got the heck out of there as fast as he could with the cat following him in the bushes I guess trying to figure out why he prey smelled right, but looked wrong

.I saw a real big Mule deer 2 years ago when I was leaving Young Az with my nephew after an Elk hunt. It was snowing hard, and he was with a group of does near the road, huge rack. I love the way they run, bouncing up, and down. Be sure to get lots of exercise in before you visit, as the elevation takes it's toll on one's body. I went with my nephew to a camp about 5000' elevation 7 years ago when I first came out here. I climbed a little hill, not more than 500', and thought my lungs were going to give out