Fly fishing Alaska

Trial153

I have fished in Alaska a several times. always in conjunction with bowhunting there, either before, during and after my hunts. Its been a great time. I have caught char, greyling, raninbows, sockeye and cohos in Alaska on my fly rods. I have not however made a dedicated fishing trip there. Every year some buddies of mine and I share a steelhead camp together here in NY. I been busting their balls to come with me to Alaska for a summer flying trip . I was hoping they would want to experience it . However they always have excuses that prevented them from going, too much money, too much traveling ect ect….

This year I told them I was booking a trip to the Bristol Bay Area for an august fishing trip that would get me into good rainbow fishing during the sockeye run and hopefully hit Silvers as they start to head into the rivers to spawn. I wanted to miss all the insanity that comes from fishing for Kings.

Lo and behold this year some agreed to make the trip with me. We booked a fly out lodge and will be doing a 6 day fly out trip in august of 2024. I am supper excited to be going with a great group of friends.

Have any of the members here fly fished in remote parts of Alaska and how was your experience?

• Like 7

good for you!! Sounds like a great trip for anglers, great scenery, and lots of wildlife. Remember some of  that wildlife occasionally wants to  eat you! All the folks that I've known that worked in Alaska always carried either  a 12 gauge short barrelled pump or a .44 magnum. Might be a good excuse to buy a Marlin 45-70 guide gun.  A couple of folks went out for Halibut and had a great time. 

Trial , 2024 is 3 fishing seasons from now . Are the Outfitters/Guides that booked up in advance ? 

Yes many off the more well regarded guides and lodges are. You might find a opening or two for 2023 but for this year…the good ones are fully booked.
Another issue i that I wanted our group to be the only one in the lodge for the week so I was looking at places that max out at 6 or 8 people. Lucky I made some contacts that put me in touch with person that cold check those boxes.
  • Like 1

Iv fished the Situk river a few times for steelhead.. Diy trip as there was no need for guides.. if you know how to fish salmon/steelhead/rainbows its no different from here to there.. rented drift boats from the lodge

Yes, I have some experience fishing’s and guiding for steelhead, guided about 250 days or so and fished a bunch more day for myself. I found west coast steelhead to be bit different then steelhead on the Great Lake tribs however they have many of similarities and you right, if your have solid foundation it will carry over

good for you!! Sounds like a great trip for anglers, great scenery, and lots of wildlife. Remember some of  that wildlife occasionally wants to  eat you! All the folks that I've known that worked in Alaska always carried either  a 12 gauge short barrelled pump or a .44 magnum. Might be a good excuse to buy a Marlin 45-70 guide gun.  A couple of folks went out for Halibut and had a great time. 

Most of the time I take my Glock 20 loaded with hard cast with me to Alaska for bear protection. However for this trip I will most likely leave it home as we will be guided. I might get back up to Kodiak next year to hunt and for sure my 10mm will be back with me.