Gun Safes --- The Truth

It’s been long known that box store “ safes “ aren’t safes. They don’t meet UL listings , so they made their own “ residential security containers.” 

There’s no shortage of videos of these safes being opened in a minute or two, my fav is taking the top off a Liberty in two minutes with an angle grinder .

One needs to match their needs with what they buy , a few low to mid priced guns that you want to keep,your young kids and sneak thieves out of vs 30k in guns and valuables that makes you a target for more experienced thieves . 

Two tips I recommend is whatever you get ,keep,it hidden and avoid the “ Easter basket ,that is taking every valuable that was hidden in several places and is now in your “ safe .”

Here’s my recommendation, you’ve never heard of them because they don’t advertise, they don’t have to . 

https://www.sturdysafe.com

• Like 1

I can recall struggling with a couple guys to get a safe down into basement.  Carefully lagging it to the floor.  And then standing back admiring my work.  As I put away my hammer drill, I notice my hand tool cubes and pegboard.   With every tool needed to break into safe.  Aw Crap

I agree a hundred percent with Nomad but in addition I have alarm system, cameras, pit bull and redhead wife with Glock.

The redhead is the most scary

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

It’s been long known that box store “ safes “ aren’t safes. They don’t meet UL listings , so they made their own “ residential security containers.” 

There’s no shortage of videos of these safes being opened in a minute or two, my fav is taking the top off a Liberty in two minutes with an angle grinder .

One needs to match their needs with what they buy , a few low to mid priced guns that you want to keep,your young kids and sneak thieves out of vs 30k in guns and valuables that makes you a target for more experienced thieves . 

Two tips I recommend is whatever you get ,keep,it hidden and avoid the “ Easter basket ,that is taking every valuable that was hidden in several places and is now in your “ safe .”

Here’s my recommendation, you’ve never heard of them because they don’t advertise, they don’t have to . 

Arent you out of town for a few weeks...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Arent you out of town for a few weeks...

I have to,ice and elevate my leg a few times a day…..so here we are .

Plus we’re not on “ vacation “ where a person tries to cram a bunch of tourist stuff into a couple weeks , we’re just living somewhere else for a couple months . just happens that the beach is right outside our door 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 8:27 AM, Nomad said:

well said. You should know what your goals are and go from there. My safe has my guns and some ammo. None of them are overly valuable beyond sentimental. My safe is to keep the guns out of my kids/visitors hands and deter a thief. I keep valuable documents in there too, but for sure there isn't like $50k in diamonds or something so the field and stream safe I own meets my needs, although I'm tight on space now lol.

I have decent security for my home, but in the end nothing to stop a burglar if we're out, just cams with cloud recording and decent locks. Enough to make it difficult, but if they mean business and come with an angle grinder and what not, they're going to get what they came for. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

well said. You should know what your goals are and go from there. My safe has my guns and some ammo. None of them are overly valuable beyond sentimental. My safe is to keep the guns out of my kids/visitors hands and deter a thief. I keep valuable documents in there too, but for sure there isn't like $50k in diamonds or something so the field and stream safe I own meets my needs, although I'm tight on space now lol.

I have decent security for my home, but in the end nothing to stop a burglar if we're out, just cams with cloud recording and decent locks. Enough to make it difficult, but if they mean business and come with an angle grinder and what not, they're going to get what they came for. 

OK, angle grinder ... anything else I might need that you can think of?  And what might I put on the list to come for?  Asking for a friend.

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

OK, angle grinder ... anything else I might need that you can think of?  And what might I put on the list to come for?  Asking for a friend.

for sure you would want a camera to take a picture of my trophy wall. That illusive picture would for sure be a forum favorite. If you accidently drop a thermal scope for my use we will call it a fair trade :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

One does the best they can . I recommend enforcing the door jams as that’s what fails , a 1/2 piece of pine is what a persons deadbolt goes into . With two half inch screws on the strike plate .

Most burgers will knock first nobody answers they want to kick that door in , in a couple tries .

Myself  my jams are reinforced ,lights, alarm signs,  my storms are locked , my axes, sledgehammer, five foot bar are not in my garage so not to supply forced entry tools to anyone who may get in there .

Being away right now a number of my guns are off site , as well as small valuables being in our safe deposit box .

Three neighbors are watching the place , two work from home, ones cameras pick up two sides of our house, the other is a cop, who I think got wood when I asked him to watch the place …

It’s all about layers .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nomad said:

One does the best they can . I recommend enforcing the door jams as that’s what fails , a 1/2 piece of pine is what a persons deadbolt goes into . With two half inch screws on the strike plate .

Most burgers will knock first nobody answers they want to kick that door in , in a couple tries .

Myself  my jams are reinforced ,lights, alarm signs,  my storms are locked , my axes, sledgehammer, five foot bar are not in my garage so not to supply forced entry tools to anyone who may get in there .

Being away right now a number of my guns are off site , as well as small valuables being in our safe deposit box .

Three neighbors are watching the place , two work from home, ones cameras pick up two sides of our house, the other is a cop, who I think got wood when I asked him to watch the place …

It’s all about layers .

I put striker plates and dead bolt catches in with 3 or 4 inch screw , last one I did on the front door made the door bell start going off LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Nomad said:

It’s all about layers .

for whatever reason my garage and front door are metal and so are the frames which was nice to find out, but also a pain when changing the locks trying to get the new ones to latch properly.

That's a good point about tools in the garage, but that's not a level I'm prepared to go to haha. So if anyone breaks into belo's garage, you'll find all sorts of stuff to get into the house haha

Same. If someone robs me, i just hope one of the 64 cameras catches a license plate number or face. Or a neighbor cam does.

a8000cf254899c239ac9e318009be379.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Same. If someone robs me, i just hope one of the 64 cameras catches a license plate number or face. Or a neighbor cam does.

Thanks.  Now I know how to creep in undetected.  That play doh is mine!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Cameras are at best an after the fact , try to catch them after you’ve been cleaned out . 

Ones up,high like under the eves have little deterrence, as they know a ball cap and Looking down hides their face . You need the ones on entry points at five foot pointing straight out .

No glass on or near doors ,harden jams and doors , alarms will limit their time inside to five minutes or so as everyone knows between callbacks and then notifications to 911, it’ll be sometime before a cop even responds to an Alarm call , They’re very low priority.

You need a neighbor like mine to sit out front …

55660FAD-C84B-4147-BA92-E009174F227E.jpeg

• Like 2

Cameras are at best an after the fact , try to catch them after you’ve been cleaned out . 
Ones up,high like under the eves have little deterrence, as they know a ball cap and Looking down hides their face . You need the ones on entry points at five foot pointing straight out .
No glass on or near doors ,harden jams and doors , alarms will limit their time inside to five minutes or so as everyone knows between callbacks and then notifications to 911, it’ll be sometime before a cop even responds to an Alarm call , They’re very low priority.
You need a neighbor like mine to sit out front …
55660FAD-C84B-4147-BA92-E009174F227E.thumb.jpeg.476017862ac33d7825679fb7fbee6c07.jpeg

Lol I don’t live in Harlem!

• Like 2