Syracuse here I come

crappyice

Thanks guys….sounds like Syracuse should
move up my list with all these place to eat and things to do.

A last minute email from the Hobart coach just shifted our plans.

Friday- get to Binghamton at 5:00 for a virtual tour then head to DinoBBQ for dinner.
Saturday- SU campus and virtual tour before his 9:00 meeting with crew coach.
Head to Hobart around 12:00. Meet coach tour until about 2.
Head home but not without a stop at Cornell to possibly meet the coach. He has a phone call set with him for Tuesday but face time is huge with these guys.

@Chef and @The_Real_TCIII would tell me to throw euronymphs in the West Branch on the way home, but that will have to wait for the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Friday- get to Binghamton at 5:00 for a virtual tour then head to DinoBBQ for dinner.
Head home but not without a stop at Cornell to possibly meet the coach. He has a phone call set with him for Tuesday but face time is huge with these guys.

[mention=762]Chef[/mention] and [mention=5278]The_Real_TCIII[/mention] would tell me to throw euronymphs in the West Branch on the way home, but that will have to wait for the spring.

So Friday April 1 striped bass in the Hudson Saturday April 2 trout on the Delaware

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

@Chef and @The_Real_TCIII would tell me to throw euronymphs in the West Branch on the way home, but that will have to wait for the spring.

My cousins son just graduated from Hobart.  He loved it.  And much better academically than SU.  By far.  Cornell too, obviously. 

• Like 2

The retreat in syracuse has always been great to us, In the summer live music all the time. Clams Rockefeller is on point. Binghamton late night spot in the ghetto Kennedy Fried Chicken, can be a little dicey but fire late night Junk food and opened super late.

Edited by Kmartinson
  • Like 1

Dinosaur can ...and likely will be crazy. No reservations. For someplace a bit more mellow, down in armory square (actually just strait up the road a few blocks,) Kitty Hoynes is our favorite regular spot. Irish bar, more mature, probably the best bar food/light meals and casual dining down town. Best time to hit Dinosaur is weekdays/evenings.

We hit Dinosaur BBQ on Friday night at 9:00…15 minute wait and even though the kitchen was running low we managed with drunken shrimp, wings, 1/2 family platter (chicken, pulled pork, ribs (the best of the three) with Mac and cheese and mashed potatoes).
Great character, people and food…beers were good too.

Rest of our food was McDonald, Wendy, subway and hotel breakfast as we were running a gunning the rest of the trip!

As for the actual college visits - “. “ are his words:

Syracuse is awesome- coach and team and facility were informative and “comfortable for a big place”
Cornell is massive and a touch overwhelming without being able to connect with the coach.
Hobart is too “hamptons/lax-ish”
Binghamton is “impressive but no crew.”Ithaca is a “neat safety but crew is not too competitive.” I still am shocked at small liberal art school having crazy athletic facilities. Ithaca is a great little foodie town/city that I know from being up at Cornell for state golf tournaments with my HS players

• Like 6

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

We hit Dinosaur BBQ on Friday night at 9:00…15 minute wait and even though the kitchen was running low we managed with drunken shrimp, wings, 1/2 family platter (chicken, pulled pork, ribs (the best of the three) with Mac and cheese and mashed potatoes).
Great character, people and food…beers were good too.

Rest of our food was McDonald, Wendy, subway and hotel breakfast as we were running a gunning the rest of the trip!

As for the actual college visits - “. “ are his words:

Syracuse is awesome- coach and team and facility were informative and “comfortable for a big place”
Cornell is massive and a touch overwhelming without being able to connect with the coach.
Hobart is too “hamptons/lax-ish”
Binghamton is “impressive but no crew.”Ithaca is a “neat safety but crew is not too competitive.” I still am shocked at small liberal art school having crazy athletic facilities. Ithaca is a great little foodie town/city that I know from being up at Cornell for state golf tournaments with my HS players

What sport is your boy pursuing  in college? I know Syracuse did away with thier baseball program years ago. Best of luck, I miss doing those road trips with my boy.

What sport is your boy pursuing  in college? I know Syracuse did away with thier baseball program years ago. Best of luck, I miss doing those road trips with my boy.

My twin boys are both hoping to play sports in college. One (who was on this trip) is looking to row. Crew is super important to his college choice. He wants to row at a high level school. Loved Syracuse’s coaches, team and facility. Has had some calls with Colgate, Yale, Cornell (Tuesday) and a few left coast schools that I hope he forgets about!
The other is a is baseball, football and just picked up shot put this winter instead of basketball to spend more time lifting and pitching. He would like to pitch in college but also doesn’t want to sacrifice his academics To match his pitching. He’s also my least motivated to figure this all out!

On 2/21/2022 at 11:30 PM, crappyice said:

My twin boys are both hoping to play sports in college. One (who was on this trip) is looking to row. Crew is super important to his college choice. He wants to row at a high level school. Loved Syracuse’s coaches, team and facility. Has had some calls with Colgate, Yale, Cornell (Tuesday) and a few left coast schools that I hope he forgets about!
The other is a is baseball, football and just picked up shot put this winter instead of basketball to spend more time lifting and pitching. He would like to pitch in college but also doesn’t want to sacrifice his academics To match his pitching. He’s also my least motivated to figure this all out!

Best of luck whichever sport/college they pursue. 

• Like 1

Good luck to him were ever he ends up. My daughter spent a year at Ithaca and she was not thrilled with the small town scene, charm.. I love the area. She got her bachelors from SU. SU is a great school but being from here going there was not too adventurous. She is now doing her masters at USC and lives in LA which she loves big cities but not so much LA. She loves the weather and beach and all that though. I abhor the state of Cali so hope she does not end staying there!!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 4:39 PM, chrisw said:

Lemon Grass restaurant in Syracuse is really good if you're looking for something a bit fancier than the typical restaurant. It's really good food.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

Lemon Grass I was very impressed with. One of my local favorites.