Hunting after Cataract Surgery

CharlieNY

Well as they say getting old is a bitch. Over the last 2 years I developed cataracts in both eyes that have resulted in cloudy vision and my ophthalmologist is scheduling me to have them removed this summer. We discussed the different types of lenses that will be used and right now I am leaning towards standard lenses set for clear distance vision in both eyes. My only concern is whether I will be able to clearly see the front sights on my shotguns and the sights on my handguns at arm's length. If anyone has had cataract surgery I would appreciate it if you would let me know what lens you selected and what your experience has been after the surgery for hunting and shooting. Any suggestions from other hunters who have had cataract surgery will help me decide on which lens I will choose and which ones to avoid. I am not concerned with my rifles as they all have quality scopes on them and can be adjusted. I want to be able to see the front sight on my shotguns for waterfowl and small game hunting in addition to shooting my handguns with iron sights. Thanking everyone who responds in advance.  valoroutdoors.com

Never had it done, but involved with quite a few patients and family members who did....

To reduce risk of complications stack everything in your favor. First, if you smoke / use nicotine, quit. As a vasoconstrictor, your eyes suffer, and especially after surgery they need all the health they can get. After that, ask you doc about recommendations for shooting afterward, and follow them. Most folks after surgery have an astounding improvement. My wife has worn glasses for at least forty years. Now she only needs them occaissionally, usually for reading and office work. Your eyes can also retrain themselves to a certain extent, and what works for someone else may not work at all for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Well here is an update. After much research and consulting with my ophthalmologist I decided to go with standard lenses for best distance vision in both eyes. I had my left eye done yesterday and it has been less than 24 hours. All I can say is wow. My vision in my left eye is perfect and colors are sharp and clear. I can clearly see iron sights on a long gun or a handgun clearly. I will still need over the counter readers for fine up close reading but I have been wearing them for years. The surgery was done at my local hospital. I was brought into my room at 10:30 and was on my way home at 2:00 with my daughter. There is no pain and it feels like I have an eyelash in my eye but that will go away in a couple of days. My right eye is scheduled to be done in 2 weeks. I am looking forward to the upcoming hunting season with great vision. My recommendation is to have it done if you need it and you will be very happy with the results.     valoroutdoors.com

• Like 4