Land of the Giant Oaks

However, beware of unscrupulous logging companies that can truly leave a disgusting mess behind. I can think of an example of a woods that is now almost impossible to walk across. They left skidder ruts that are almost 2' deep that went across a significant amount of forested acreage and tore up a huge ag field. The logging was done during a very wet time of the year, and so they decided to take a different path with each load leaving behind a network of skidder ruts that make just walking an exhausting chore. I have seen others that have left serious erosion problems. Still others that were sloppy about how they dropped trees, destroying future potential lumber trees in kind of an indiscriminate fashion. There are others that strayed across property lines to get some good trees. I would suggest getting some good reliable references before even considering signing on the dotted line.

The other side of the coin we see deer browse improving and deer numbers increasing because wood shave been thinned. There are other critters also that benefit from a well managed wood-lot. Just be warned that there are some dangers in randomly signing on with a logging company. They are not all reputable, and what they leave behind is not always in the landowner's interest.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A neighbor is having logging and clearing done to what would be considered "old growth" by today's standards. Rings are not like a phone book but are tight and most of it is veneer. There is probably 10 acers of condensed oak that is on average bigger than shown is the video. The growth is also part of my property with a wind storm that brought down several large red oaks a few over 40 inch diameter last fall. With lumber prices I'm surprised the logger hasn't asked about logging yet.

https://youtu.be/zcLQz-oR6sw Tom wesseles is a commie but has a good video series on new England forests and identifying old growth which I also have a small area of true old growth.

• 3 weeks later...