Vortex or Leupold

Looking to upgrade the glass on my single shot 30-06.  Glass on it has done its job for years but it’s not the greatest quality and I just don’t want it to fail on me in the heat of the moment.  

I have vortex Binos and love them. Just wasn’t sure scope wise what to go with.  I will say I beat my gear up not on purpose but just the places I hunt it happens.  Need something that will be strong enough to hold up to abuse. 

Don’t have a big budget but looking at $150- $250 range.   Looking for something around a 3x9 x 40

pros and cons of each?  Any models people have used in that price range?

thanks for the info

Edited by Swamp_bucks

I’m a big fan of Leupold. Made in the USA and they stand behind their products. And they also have a VIP program that offers great discounts to those who have helped our country. If anyone in your family is a veteran, LE, military, government employee, as well as others can qualify.

https://www.leupold.com/learn/core-communities/vip-programs-info

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 5

Both good choice , lots of new names in the game too. I'm a big nikon fan ,if I were to be getting a new scope it would be a vortex or burris.. I have a bushnel trophy on my muzzleloader, as much as I'd like to knock it I really can't. 

Check out 

https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/riflescope/categories/Rifle-Scopes/5eb0346f-bcd4-4f1f-93df-d6f5a8428b8a

Edited by sbuff

My lowest model Leupold is the Rifleman.. the glass is very clear. mine is a 4-12x40 as for the freedom im not sure. But i can recomend the Rifleman for sure. ITs also a 1/2" per click at 100 yards instead of the more normal 1/4" per click at 100. 

As for the Vortex, I just bought my son the Crossfire ii 4-12x44 and its a phenomonal scope for 169$ very clear glass.. Seems to be a perfect hunting scope for the price. If you can get this model or the diamondback, the vanquish youll lose glass quality.  

I have several Leupolds and Vortex higher models and they are all good/great scopes. But Leupold has a great name for making great scopes. Go put your eye through both of them somewhere local before buying. ITs a must!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Both good choice , lots of new names in the game too. I'm a big nikon fan ,if I were to be getting a new scope it would be a vortex or burris.. I have a bushnel trophy on my muzzleloader, as much as I'd like to knock it I really can't. 

Check out 

https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/riflescope/categories/Rifle-Scopes/5eb0346f-bcd4-4f1f-93df-d6f5a8428b8a

Camera Land is an unbelievable store. They have so much inventory. It’s a great place to walk in to see many different scopes if you’re ever in the area. 
It’s too bad that Nikon got out of the scope business. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Trad bow said:

I just picked up  M8 compact 4x gloss finish from 1984 that is just like new on EBay for $150.00 and it’s like new. Be careful of knock off leupolds if you go on EBay though there are lots of them.

Yes there are. Best bet when purchasing on eBay is to request the serial number and verify with Leupold. 

I’m a big fan of Leupold. Made in the USA and they stand behind their products. And they also have a VIP program that offers great discounts to those who have helped our country. If anyone in your family is a veteran, LE, military, government employee, as well as others can qualify.
https://www.leupold.com/learn/core-communities/vip-programs-info

It’s kind of messed up to take advantage of the company that offers this program to those that HAVE EARNED it.

When you sign up it specifically says this program is only for you and not for gifts or resale…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It’s kind of messed up to take advantage of the company that offers this program to those that deserve it.

When you sign up it specifically says this program is only for you and not for gifts or resale…

I’ve been hunting with my father who is a veteran my entire life. What’s his is mine and what’s mine is his. There are no gifts involved or resales. If you think it’s wrong if he purchases a scope for a rifle that we both use, then I don’t know what to tell you. 

• Like 1

I’ve been hunting with my father who is a veteran my entire life. What’s his is mine and what’s mine is his. There are no gifts involved or resales. If you think it’s wrong if he purchases a scope for a rifle that we both use, then I don’t know what to tell you. 

Ok…

Op, I’m a lifelong Leupold customer because of the customer service they’ve given me.

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Ok…

Op, I’m a lifelong Leupold customer because of the customer service they’ve given me.

Likewise. They are second to none. 
My father does not abuse the program. In the last 10 years I think 2 scopes have been purchased. The whole gift/resale clause is to prevent people from buying the maximum every year and taking advantage of it. 

You can find some really nice used, or "New Old Stock" Leupold scopes on gun auction sites for $250 or less if you look for them.  The 3-9x40 Vari-X II is quite common, but most often the gloss version.  You can find one in matte finish for $250 or less every so often.  Try Gunbroker.com.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 1:19 PM, Wildcat said:

I own both and regularly use both...    I don't think you can go wrong either way...  I have been extremely impressed with Vortex Service.   they fixed and issue that I caused, no questions asked (..and wow did they turn it around quickly!)

Because they just sent you another scope 

They dont fix them they just replace them because they get so many ba k foe repairs 

Vortex is JUNK 

1 hour ago, TLR said:

Because they just sent you another scope 

They dont fix them they just replace them because they get so many ba k foe repairs 

Vortex is JUNK 

Vortex makes different level of products.  Generally the more expensive models are pretty great in my experience.