Turkey scouting 2022

Kmartinson

I dont know if anyone will respond to this because its not for political opinions or current affairs arguments. I will be posting the goings ons of my spring turkey scouting. It would be cool if others were into posting anything turkey related!!!

Here are some studs just outside of my lease. Notice the paintbrushes. In the past ive seen many large birds in this field, after the first week presure usually pushes them deep onto some private that cannot be hunted by anyone. A hot hen will pull em out once in a while.

A couple days before while on the regular  shedventure I found these dinosaur tracks. Its a little exciting or at least encouraging as this is public land.

Gobble gobble yall.

20220218_161614.jpg

IMG_20220212_144139_904.jpg

20220218_161441.jpg

Edited by Kmartinson
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Nice seeing birds but February sightings mean very little for may Turkey seasons. From around the 1st of Dec until grass greens up there isn’t a Turkey within 5 miles of my farm. But they’re always here for the killing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our turkeys stay close, and new ones will show up,  the toms will split up and spread out a little but sightings are good for us any time. We usually have a pile of hens and smaller birds year round also. Definitely places with good nesting habitat will have birds that don't necessarily live there all year.

37 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Ive dabbled in turkey a couple years but nit seriously.   This year i plan to put in some more work.  

Do the turkeys roost in the same trees regularly or do they switch it up nightly?

On private and If unpressured they like to stay in the same places. We have a few trees that never change. I see them also roost in seperate places based on weather. Big hemlocks when it's rainy and huge oaks when it's clear. Also it seems like they roost near or over water and on super steep banks. I assume it's like escape routes. 

On public it's key to listen too the woods the last week before season opens. If you really want to gain some knowledge after they come down and move off sneak in and loom for giant trees with turkey poop all over the ground. After first couple days on public everything changes including the way I hunt them. You need to be different from every other hunter. Lots of good advice on the many different turkey threads on here.

The first time I called in a mature Gobbler to the barrel it changed my desire to hunt them. I keep a diaphragm in my truck or in my pocket year round now.  Last year I hunted 20 days til noon. Got to see lots of birds and help a couple others fill a tag. 

• Like 2

Our turkeys stay close, and new ones will show up,  the toms will split up and spread out a little but sightings are good for us any time. We usually have a pile of hens and smaller birds year round also. Definitely places with good nesting habitat will have birds that don't necessarily live there all year.

I’ve found it’s impossible to keep them so I’ve worked on nesting habitat and predator control and they keep returning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kmartinson said:

On private and If unpressured they like to stay in the same places. We have a few trees that never change. I see them also roost in seperate places based on weather. Big hemlocks when it's rainy and huge oaks when it's clear. Also it seems like they roost near or over water and on super steep banks. I assume it's like escape routes. 

On public it's key to listen too the woods the last week before season opens. If you really want to gain some knowledge after they come down and move off sneak in and loom for giant trees with turkey poop all over the ground. After first couple days on public everything changes including the way I hunt them. You need to be different from every other hunter. Lots of good advice on the many different turkey threads on here.

The first time I called in a mature Gobbler to the barrel it changed my desire to hunt them. I keep a diaphragm in my truck or in my pocket year round now.  Last year I hunted 20 days til noon. Got to see lots of birds and help a couple others fill a tag. 

This is public.  And not a very big chunk of land.  Would my best bet to do what you said, get in the week before at dusk and listen?   Crow call?   

2 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

I dont know if anyone will respond to this because its not for political opinions or current affairs arguments. I will be posting the goings ons of my spring turkey scouting. It would be cool if others were into posting anything turkey related!!!

Here are some studs just outside of my lease. Notice the paintbrushes. In the past ive seen many large birds in this field, after the first week presure usually pushes them deep onto some private that cannot be hunted by anyone. A hot hen will pull em out once in a while.

A couple days before while on the regular  shedventure I found these dinosaur tracks. Its a little exciting or at least encouraging as this is public land.

Gobble gobble yall.

20220218_161614.jpg

IMG_20220212_144139_904.jpg

20220218_161441.jpg

We have piles of birds in this area but with Ft Drum right across the road they at times do need to be coaxed across the road.            Best bet is always to stay out of the area until 10Am or so and let them tell you when they are no longer henned up. Most times they come a running to some sweet hen music later in the morning after their morning dates. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

This is public.  And not a very big chunk of land.  Would my best bet to do what you said, get in the week before at dusk and listen?   Crow call?   

I would be more interested at morning roost gobble. Also public birds may not gobble much. Boots on the ground for tracks,  remember you can't kill em if they aren't there. You may need to find other places to hunt also. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

I just let the birds talk naturally, after you locate them and your sure you have them around you will hear them in the mornings. Locator calls can work, owls, crows and even coyote howis but sometimes they are pretty tight lipped. When they gobble I call once then unless they keep gobbling I cut the distance call a little more and wait. Remember nothing in the world has better vision than birds, don't let them catch you moving.

• Like 2