Upcoming Legislation Changes email from NDA

UpStateRedNeck

Pasting in an email I received from the NDA.

I need to read through it but it seems like @grampy gets to rest his big-buck-serial-killer shoulder and hunt with an xbow during archery?

New York Senate Bill 7747 (S7747) would allow youth hunters ages 12-16 and senior hunters ages 55+ to hunt with a crossbow during special archery seasons. The bill also removes current minimum limb width and maximum draw weight restrictions. The National Deer Association (NDA) supports the inclusion of crossbows as a legal method of take for deer and other species within appropriate seasons, wherever practical and possible, and we especially support the use of crossbows if their use positively impacts a deer management program and helps recruit and retain more hunters.

TAKE ACTION
Please consider joining the NDA in supporting this important legislation. New York S7747 expands opportunities for youth and senior hunters, and it also amends language to keep up with the changes in modern crossbow design and technology. Visit our Advocacy Center to ask your lawmakers to support the bill.

MORE INFO
The NDA is dedicated to ensuring the future of wild deer, wildlife habitat and hunting. We are more interested in managing deer and habitat appropriately and protecting our hunting heritage than debating use of specific weapons. However, if the use of crossbows positively impacts a deer management program and helps recruit and retain more hunters, the NDA fully supports their use. New York S7747 expands opportunities for youth and senior hunters, and it also amends language to keep up with the changes in modern crossbow design and technology, allowing hunters to choose from a broader selection of options.

Additionally, S7747 addresses a number of priorities that the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) has outlined in its Management Plan for White-Tailed Deer in New York State, 2021–2030 (Deer Plan). These priorities include reducing the minimum age for youth to hunt with a crossbow to a uniform age of 12 and that the restrictions on crossbow size (e.g., minimum limb width) and maximum draw weight be removed from law so that the agency can set more appropriate standards which are effective and humane for deer hunting and consistent with crossbow technology

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Pasting in an email I received from the NDA.

I need to read through it but it seems like @grampy gets to rest his big-buck-serial-killer shoulder and hunt with an xbow during archery?

New York Senate Bill 7747 (S7747) would allow youth hunters ages 12-16 and senior hunters ages 55+ to hunt with a crossbow during special archery seasons. The bill also removes current minimum limb width and maximum draw weight restrictions. The National Deer Association (NDA) supports the inclusion of crossbows as a legal method of take for deer and other species within appropriate seasons, wherever practical and possible, and we especially support the use of crossbows if their use positively impacts a deer management program and helps recruit and retain more hunters.

TAKE ACTION
Please consider joining the NDA in supporting this important legislation. New York S7747 expands opportunities for youth and senior hunters, and it also amends language to keep up with the changes in modern crossbow design and technology. Visit our Advocacy Center to ask your lawmakers to support the bill.

MORE INFO
The NDA is dedicated to ensuring the future of wild deer, wildlife habitat and hunting. We are more interested in managing deer and habitat appropriately and protecting our hunting heritage than debating use of specific weapons. However, if the use of crossbows positively impacts a deer management program and helps recruit and retain more hunters, the NDA fully supports their use. New York S7747 expands opportunities for youth and senior hunters, and it also amends language to keep up with the changes in modern crossbow design and technology, allowing hunters to choose from a broader selection of options.

Additionally, S7747 addresses a number of priorities that the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) has outlined in its Management Plan for White-Tailed Deer in New York State, 2021–2030 (Deer Plan). These priorities include reducing the minimum age for youth to hunt with a crossbow to a uniform age of 12 and that the restrictions on crossbow size (e.g., minimum limb width) and maximum draw weight be removed from law so that the agency can set more appropriate standards which are effective and humane for deer hunting and consistent with crossbow technology

I would like to see this pass Paul. Thanks for posting about this. I know many hunters in my age group, who were once avid archers and very good bowhunters. But due to shoulder and other health issues, can no longer participate in the regular archery season. I tried to shoot over the weekend downstairs. Did not work out so well. My first love is, and always will be, my bow and bowhunting. But to be able to participate, I'll be happy to tote a crossbow.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, grampy said:

I would like to see this pass Paul. Thanks for posting about this. I know many hunters in my age group, who were once avid archers and very good bowhunters. But due to shoulder and other health issues, can no longer participate in the regular archery season. I tried to shoot over the weekend downstairs. Did not work out so well. My first love is, and always will be, my bow and bowhunting. But to be able to participate, I'll be happy to tote a crossbow.

You should be allowed to!  Also I shouldn't have posted this here, nobody can see it because of what a swamp this area of the forums has become.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

You should be allowed to!  Also I shouldn't have posted this here, nobody can see it because of what a swamp this area of the forums has become.

Perhaps we could have a moderator move it to the crossbow section??? I think it would fit better there.

i know back in the beginning of February our Upper Hudson River Valley branch of the NDA reached out to their Director of Policy, Torin Miller.  His reply seemed to suggest they were already working on it. For how long idk. Anyone that gets emails from NDA should've received it on Feb 21st. Good to see these action alerts are getting to folks.

I’ve been telling people for a couple years that this way would be great and keep people in archery longer and help get kids into it as well.  I know of a couple kids who couldn’t pull back enough weight at 12-14 so they missed out on hunting when they could of used a crossbow.  

hope it passes it will help a bunch of people get into the woods. Including my father,FIL and one of my nephews.

• Like 5

Would love to see this pass unfortunately  I have reservations that it will.  I still see no reason to remove restrictions on drawweight an limb width  now,  if your hunting in ny with one now it should be compliant.. making the archery course mandatory for it would be a priority for me personally 

On 2/23/2022 at 4:13 PM, blackbeltbill said:

This sounds great to me as,I am 62. Not much of a Deer Hunter with the Rifle  having missed a few Does over the years while Freezing my Ass off.

Nice Mild Autumn  Weather in October would give me and countless others motivation  to buy and practice  with a Crossbow. 

Chiefly  because of the Beautiful  Weather. I might get an unpressurized Buck as well on Public Dirt.

I almost got Shot on Public during Rifle while wearing Orange- WHOPP- WHOOP. That and Freezing had me stop. 

Almost only counts with horseshoes and had grenades....

Glad you would be able to more fully enjoy your season. BTW people do aquire places to hunt on private land by doing small chores and helping out around the property, just saying you may be alot happier if you could get off from this "unsafe, unproductive, low animal density public dirt" you always talk about. It seems like you really don't enjoy public land hunting sometimes and your comment's could be viewed as discouraging.... just saying.

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Would love to see this pass unfortunately  I have reservations that it will.  I still see no reason to remove restrictions on drawweight an limb width  now,  if your hunting in ny with one now it should be compliant.. making the archery course mandatory for it would be a priority for me personally 

Many of the most popular crossbows on the market are off-limits to NY hunters who want to comply with the draw weight and limb tip width restrictions.  There seem to be fewer and fewer premium crossbow offerings that fit within the NY standards.  Many crossbows that use older technology (e.g. most Excalibur crossbows with their recurve limbs and heave draw weights) also aren't legal in NY.  

I'm not a crossbow hunter so I don't really have a dog in the fight.  But like the 7 (or is it 10?) round capacity rules for firearms, the current restrictions seem quite arbitrary and limiting for no real good reason (or at least none that I've ever been made aware of).

• Like 1