Crossbows are NOT more accurate than Compounds

fasteddie

LoL ,they randomly uses archers of varying skill sets , the averaged a grouping of 3 inches at 50 yards , to shoot 3 inch groups at 50 yards you are extremely proficient with a bow and have years of experience. You can't even argue against that. Any dolt can pick up a crossbow and shoot a 3 inch group the very first day. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

LoL ,they randomly uses archers of varying skill sets , the averaged a grouping of 3 inches at 50 yards , to shoot 3 inch groups at 50 yards you are extremely proficient with a bow and have years of experience. You can't even argue against that. Any dolt can pick up a crossbow and shoot a 3 inch group the very first day. 

seriously right? Read the comments at the bottom too. This article is total joke. 

The kill rate of compounds and crossbows are the same as is the loss / non recovery. 

I had 2 new bow hunters this year  both killed deer with minimal practice  one shot maybe 4 dozen arrows the other maybe 12.. ..  modern compounds once peep and pins are set are pretty easy.. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I had one guy showing 1 in groups at 50 in 6 times shooting..  it's not hard unless your talking recurve or long bow.. today compounds are easy  , releases, lighted pins, range finding sights, peeps... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ncountry said:

So it says..but.....  Crossbows are much easier to shoot accurately.

From a rest ..  try shooting around a tree  or holding up it for a minute waiting for a deer to step out, target and hunting situations are totally different

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

@50 yards?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Yes using My old bow and sights set up for him at proshop.   Once they are set , it's not hard stay still  and release.   Guys consisitany shoot 3 in groups at 75 to hunt muledeer pronghorn and elk out west..   here a shot over 35 in woods is ill-advised , bow or crossbow.

The interesting part of the article is crossbows were shot from lead sled..  try off hand .. make a huge difference  you would see compounds pass crossbow in accuracy if that was done apples to apples , most are 2 or 3x as heavey as a bow and front heavy.. ( reverse limbs help but still heavier) plus try shooting behind the tree your sitting against.. the horizontal limbs get in the way and decrease your killing angle field significantly, when compared to a compound..  off a rest  I will say yes more accurate at range  in hunting situations they are statistically the same .  Many studies have been done on wounding and kill  rate..  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

I had one guy showing 1 in groups at 50 in 6 times shooting..  it's not hard unless your talking recurve or long bow.. today compounds are easy  , releases, lighted pins, range finding sights, peeps... 

Your guy needs to go shoot Vegas then. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Your guy needs to go shoot Vegas then. 
Agree.....that's not normal. Not calling you a lier.....just very rare for a new shooter to have good enough form and confidence to shoot a 1" group at 50. In all seriousness ypur friend has a special talent and should pursue competitive archery tournaments.

I bet most new archers can't group 1" at 20yards let alone 50.

• Like 6

If one reads the entire article , Rex Darlington goes on to say basically crossbows are shooting under spine bolts. Considering that crossbows are shooting those groups with basically a wet noodle bolt thats pretty good . Try shooting a compound with a weak spine arrow . If arrow bolt manufacturers can produce a bolt that’s properly spined for the heavy draw crossbows the groups would shrink no doubt . He mentioned Mathews crossbows were dominating because they are a lower draw and the bolts are properly spined for it. To bad they didn’t shoot the Mathews crossbow . 

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Guys consisitany shoot 3 in groups at 75 to hunt muledeer pronghorn and elk out west..   

90+ out of a 100 guys that say they can consistently hit a 3" group at 75 yds are full of crap. Especially in a hunting situation. Unless they are shooting a 1 arrow group..;)

Heck, I can hit a 3" circle 2-3 out 5 shots at 75 yds the rest might be close ,but not an honest consistent 3" group.. Yet close enough to kill a deer.    

I'm just not a fan of full inclusion, not really dead set against it either.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy hunting with the crossbow (probably 1/2 the time in those last 2 weeks)

It is foolish, all these excuses or reasons people make up about a crossbow not being a superior weapon.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, land 1 said:

or  foolish all the excuses or reasons people make up not to have full inclusion. 

Like ive said before .I personally don't have a firm feeling against full inclusion.  Imo. It just  seems like more "dumbing" down or watering down our experience..

I feel that there will come a day when people will remember wistfully the old methods we used in the past. 

Many today already don't know what it's like to kill a deer with a recurve , or even a traditional muzzleloader with iron sights.

• Like 2

I've shot 1/2" groups at 125 yards with my elite. Basically robin hood most times. I have to shoot at 200 yards plus to save from ruining arrows. Gman is right. Super easy. Just hold still and let er fly.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Agree.....that's not normal. Not calling you a lier.....just very rare for a new shooter to have good enough form and confidence to shoot a 1" group at 50. In all seriousness ypur friend has a special talent and should pursue competitive archery tournaments.

At a target , not hunting situation   35 yards here in the woods and your arrow will deflect off anything , same for crossbow

7 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

I have several friends that shot junior and senior Olympics,   best shots I ever saw at targets  couldn't kill a deer if it wanted to die,  hunting is far differnt from target shooting.  

Same wounding rates, and shot didtances were the same..
They also had to submit daily reports after hunting. The average wounding rate from 1989–2006 was 18 percent, with no difference between compound bow and crossbow users. As a side note, hunters who harvested the most deer had the lowest wounding rate.

Same wounding rates, and shot didtances were the same.. They also had to submit daily reports after hunting. The average wounding rate from 1989–2006 was 18 percent, with no difference between compound bow and crossbow users. As a side note, hunters who harvested the most deer had the lowest wounding rate. https://www.bowhuntingmag.com › ...

Do Crossbows Wound More or Less Deer? - Petersen's Bowhunting

Riskier shots (shot placement) from those who practice less makes that stat, not the accuracy of compound bows vs crossbows.
Hunters who practice more make better shots regardless the weapon. Pick up a crossbow look through the scope squeeze the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2